Mysterious reports about Russian mercenaries alleged killed by US forces in Syria

Default Mysterious reports about Russian mercenaries alleged killed by US forces in Syria

CIA Director Mike Pompeo has said that a "couple hundred Russians" were killed in eastern Syria during U.S. artillery and air strikes in early February, an attack that remains shrouded in mystery.
    https://www.rferl.org/a/cia-director.../29162797.html

Today a Russian journalist who wrote about the events died under unusual circumstances:

A Russian investigative journalist who wrote about the deaths of mercenaries in Syria has died in hospital after falling from his fifth-floor flat. Maxim Borodin was found badly injured by neighbours in Yekaterinburg and taken to hospital, where he later died.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43781351

On the other hand, German journalists were able to document only a handful of dead Russian mercenaries:

In the days that followed, the identities of the Russians killed would be revealed -- first of six and ultimately nine. Eight had been verified by the Conflict Intelligence Team, a Russian investigative platform, and another was released by the radio station Echo Moscow. All were employees of the private mercenary company Evro Polis, which is often referred to by the nom du guerre of its head: "Wagner."
    At the same time, however, a completely different version of events has gained traction -- disseminated at first by Russian nationalists like Igor "Strelkov" Girkin, and then by others associated with the Wagner unit. According to those accounts, many more Russians had been killed in the battle -- 100, 200, 300 or as many as 600.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...a-1196074.html

What is going on?

Are US and Russian troops battling each other in Syria? Or are the reported battles exaggerated / fake news?

2. Sponsored Links

I've been assured that the pee pee tapes would be released if something like this happened.

On a serious note, the collusion gimps might skip right over their desired renewal of the Cold War and into a hot war before long. Congratulations??
    Come Visit Beautiful, Scenic Jonestown

4. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Forget the Russians, I read there are scores of Hessian mercenaries all over Syria.
    You're messin' with the wrong wolf, baby/Darkness gonna break your light - ​Dorothy, "Missile"

6. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill.in.PA View Post
    CIA Director Mike Pompeo has said that a "couple hundred Russians" were killed in eastern Syria during U.S. artillery and air strikes in early February, an attack that remains shrouded in mystery.
    https://www.rferl.org/a/cia-director.../29162797.html

Today a Russian journalist who wrote about the events died under unusual circumstances:

A Russian investigative journalist who wrote about the deaths of mercenaries in Syria has died in hospital after falling from his fifth-floor flat. Maxim Borodin was found badly injured by neighbours in Yekaterinburg and taken to hospital, where he later died.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43781351

On the other hand, German journalists were able to document only a handful of dead Russian mercenaries:

In the days that followed, the identities of the Russians killed would be revealed -- first of six and ultimately nine. Eight had been verified by the Conflict Intelligence Team, a Russian investigative platform, and another was released by the radio station Echo Moscow. All were employees of the private mercenary company Evro Polis, which is often referred to by the nom du guerre of its head: "Wagner."
    At the same time, however, a completely different version of events has gained traction -- disseminated at first by Russian nationalists like Igor "Strelkov" Girkin, and then by others associated with the Wagner unit. According to those accounts, many more Russians had been killed in the battle -- 100, 200, 300 or as many as 600.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...a-1196074.html

What is going on?

Are US and Russian troops battling each other in Syria? Or are the reported battles exaggerated / fake news?
    We talked about it quite a bit at the time. The Russians and Syrians were attacking and advancing on a US position and the Americans called in strikes. I've seen numbers between 200-500 Russians being killed.

The Russians played it down at the time but they'll probably blow it up now to justify further attacks on US assets in the region.
    NRA Certified Instructor, RSO, CRSO.
    Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless
    Don't blame me, I voted for Cruz!

8. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    Forget the Russians, I read there are scores of Hessian mercenaries all over Syria.
    Maybe the German reporters can talk to them.

10. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Maybe the German reporters can talk to them.
    "I'm a Hessian, without no aggression. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

50 points to the house of the forum member who can name of the source of that quote without Googling.
    You're messin' with the wrong wolf, baby/Darkness gonna break your light - ​Dorothy, "Missile"

12. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    We talked about it quite a bit at the time. The Russians and Syrians were attacking and advancing on a US position and the Americans called in strikes. I've seen numbers between 200-500 Russians being killed.

The Russians played it down at the time but they'll probably blow it up now to justify further attacks on US assets in the region.
    The Germans were able to find only nine, while the CIA chief claims several hundred.

How can the numbers be so different? Does the CIA want to brag about how many Russians we killed? Or did the German journalists miss the real story?

Is this story being manipulated by groups within the CIA or by Russian politicians to achieve certain goals? Did the Russian journalist die because he knew too much?
    Last edited by Bill.in.PA; April 16th, 2018 at 10:37 pm.

14. Sponsored Links

No way!!

The Russians own Donald Trump. He will protect them at all cost. He will never go against Russia. They own him.

They have a pee pee tape and he us colluding with them. Remember?

16. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

The Germans were able to find only nine, while the CIA chief claims several hundred.

How can the numbers be so different? Does the CIA want to brag about how many Russians we killed? Or did the German journalists miss the real story?

Is this story being manipulated by groups within the CIA or by Russian politicians to achieve certain goals? Did the Russian journalist die because he knew too much?
    Depending on the exact ordnance used and how it was used there literally may be little or nothing left of them to count.

I saw an interview a while back with one of the commanders who was on the ground at the time in the middle of the attack. He described it as a battalion sized element that was almost completely destroyed.

I have no reason to doubt his assessment.

In a Broken Arrow action like that (US Unit about to be overrun) they would bring absolutely everything in the air onto the target as fast as possible using whatever munitions they have on board.

You pour enough FAE, Napalm, and HE on troops in the open as was the case here the amount of possible damage is pretty well unbelievable to anyone who's never seen them all employed especially all at once on a single target.

What isn't blown to bits and burned beyond recognition gets very quickly scattered and buried.

Teeth would be about all that is likely to survive as identifiable parts if they laid it on heavy enough.

With the exception of Vietnam our casualty reports have generally been pretty accurate throughout my lifetime.

EDTA;

We also have no idea how long it took the Germans to get there or how many of the bodies had been removed before they got there.
    Last edited by WildRose; April 16th, 2018 at 11:58 pm.
    NRA Certified Instructor, RSO, CRSO.
    Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless
    Don't blame me, I voted for Cruz!

18. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    The greatest threat to progressive liberalism is the free and open exchange of ideas.

20. Sponsored Links