Modern vs Medieval/ancient Warfare? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Modern vs Medieval/ancient Warfare?

which would you prefer?

Me i think its more honorable to go into a clash of men where its only you and your sword and if youre good enough you will come out alive...war these days is like a video game. a bunch of people controlling everything from a control panel thats not even on the battlefield and people getting killed from things they didnt even know killed them before they died

But in medieval warfare,you had to be face to face with your enemy,which i feel makes it a little more honorable.

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
    which would you prefer?

Me i think its more honorable to go into a clash of men where its only you and your sword and if youre good enough you will come out alive...war these days is like a video game. a bunch of people controlling everything from a control panel thats not even on the battlefield and people getting killed from things they didnt even know killed them before they died

But in medieval warfare,you had to be face to face with your enemy,which i feel makes it a little more honorable.
    Not really. Look at what the top nobles did on Braveheart. Not much different. You're really obsessed with this idea.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Drawz View Post
    What movie did you steal that line from? I know I've heard it before, but can't place it.
    Patton
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

6. Sponsored Links

Well i mostly watch movies with medieval style combat.

You know that is fiction........

8. Sponsored Links

Yeah that too.

I been playing stronghold 2, and skyrim. I have tried stronghold 3,but that one is glitched and broken.
    Try some of the Total War games. They're very good.

10. Sponsored Links

Well i mostly watch movies with medieval style combat.

Oh the series of movies where they used trebuchet to launch chunks of buildings at Minas Tirith and catapults to drop the heads of the dead defenders into the city and had a cavalry of giant elephants.

Good old honorable sword on sword warfare.

12. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    You know that is fiction........

I know it's fiction.

14. Sponsored Links

I know it's fiction.
    And so is your view about the nobility of ancient warfare. The rise of democracy/republics is associated with the invention of guns and new styles of warfare.

16. Sponsored Links

which would you prefer?

When it comes to dying, honor is very overrated.

Medieval warfare was usually a matter of attrition ... with few exceptions, the guys with more men usually won the day. The is very little honor in butchering people or being butchered with sharp edged weapons. It was pure carnage.

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

18. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsbane View Post
    You sound like the French Nobility after they got their respective asses handed to them by a mostly rag tag group of English peasants with bows at Agincourt.
    That was one of the exceptions I spoke about. That battle thoroughly demonstrated the advantages of "stand off" warfare over man against man attrition. It also resulted in the French placing a bounty on long bowmen throughout the rest of the 100 years war, because they felt the English were not being "fair" by using bows that were effective beyond the range of conventional less powerful bows. Of course the French would have slaughtered Henry V and all of his men had Henry fought a conventional battle. Also missing from the French excuse of unfairness, was that as the battle progressed, most of the bowmen laid down their bows and took up swords to join the fray against the disorganized French forces.

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

20. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post

Medieval warfare was usually a matter of attrition ... with few exceptions, the guys with more men usually won the day. The is very little honor in butchering people or being butchered with sharp edged weapons. It was pure carnage.
    I think Knights were thought to be chivalrous.

22. Sponsored Links

I think Knights were thought to be chivalrous.
    I doubt if the peasant soldiers slogging in the mud and the blood thought so.

24. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post

Not so. Good leadership and well trained, experienced soldiers very often won the day despite being outnumbered.

26. Sponsored Links

which would you prefer?

Actually until recently most combatants died from disease, food poisoning, exposure, etc. not from actual battle wounds. That was true for the US Civil War.

In the case of Napoleon's invasion of Russia, he started the invasion with over 500,000 men and returned with about 3,000 without suffering a defeat on the battlefield.

28. Sponsored Links

The English Longbow i think put many melee weapons to shame.
    <br>

30. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Neocon Bob View Post
    Not so. Good leadership and well trained, experienced soldiers very often won the day despite being outnumbered.
    Often yes, usually no.

32. Sponsored Links