'The US is under attack': Intel chief Dan Coats says Putin targeting 2018 elections - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 56
  1. #1

    Default 'The US is under attack': Intel chief Dan Coats says Putin targeting 2018 elections

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ons/332566002/



    "The nation's top intelligence officials said Tuesday that Russia is targeting the 2018 elections as it seeks to undermine America's political process and sow partisan division with cyber attacks and other digital disruption.

    "Frankly, the United States is under attack," Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats told the Senate Intelligence Committee, adding that Russia is attempting to "degrade our democratic values and weaken our alliances."

    In unequivocal language, Coats said Russian President Vladimir Putin was emboldened by Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential elections and is targeting the midterms.

    "There should be no doubt that (Putin) views the past effort as successful," said Coats who was joined Tuesday by the nation's other top intelligence officials, including CIA Director Mike Pompeo, National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers and FBI Director Christopher Wray."


    Well, that's pretty strong language. He's says Putin was successful and isn't going to relent. I guess it's not gonna change/stop.

    What's remains to be very odd is our President, after signing sanctions against the country attacking us, won't implement the sanctions and, according to FBI Director Christopher Wray, Trump hasn’t even directed him to stop Russian efforts to interfere in this year’s midterms.

    That's weird folks.

    Oh. America First.

  2. Sponsored Links


  3. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Proud New Yo'ker!
    Posts
    15,285
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mot1man View Post
    So you're saying that Trump has acknowledged that Russian Interference is what got him elected?
    What?

  4. Sponsored Links


  5. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Proud New Yo'ker!
    Posts
    15,285
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mot1man View Post
    So you're saying that Trump has acknowledged that Russian Interference is what got him elected?
    I am saying he can’t help but contradict himself

    It was me on the audio, it wasn’t me

    Russia meddled, Russia didn’t meddle, where am i
    Last edited by FreeAndClear; February 13th, 2018 at 11:34 pm.

  6. Sponsored Links


  7. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,880
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeAndClear View Post
    What?
    What? Isn't that what's implied in all of this Russian collusion ********?

  8. Sponsored Links


  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bama Nation
    Posts
    76,894
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DougBH View Post
    Beg to differ, "The US is under attack" is a war term. I'm all for cyber security and reacting in kind and then some to any source that is doing this in an organized fashion. It needs to be in perspective and not blown out of proportion for political or other reasons. There is more at stake than this in our dealings with the second greatest nuclear power on earth.
    I understand that Doug, I really do, especially about the term "under attack". Good point man

    “Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

  10. Sponsored Links


  11. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bama Nation
    Posts
    76,894
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeAndClear View Post
    I am saying he can’t help but contradict himself

    It was me on the audio, it wasn’t me

    Russia meddled, Russia didn’t meddle, where am i
    You're in LaLa land, enjoy my friend, enjoy

    I don't think anybody can show that the interference got Trump elected, but to say it didn't happen is just silly in my opinion. It could have gone the other way, for the other side, then all the hacks would be on different sides of all this anyway.

    “Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

  12. Sponsored Links


  13. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    10,682
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DougBH View Post
    Even if not members of the party, fellow travelers. They need a committee to weed out anti American activities, right?
    No, much as Republicans are wistful for the days of McCarthyism, that's the last thing that's needed. All it would take is a plurality of Republicans to put America's overall interests in democracy and small r republicanism over the interests of the big R Republican party.

    So, don't hold your breath on that one.

  14. Sponsored Links


  15. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    57,795
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DougBH View Post
    Beg to differ, "The US is under attack" is a war term. I'm all for cyber security and reacting in kind and then some to any source that is doing this in an organized fashion. It needs to be in perspective and not blown out of proportion for political or other reasons. There is more at stake than this in our dealings with the second greatest nuclear power on earth.
    what would you call a government backed clandestine operation to undermine the electoral process of another country?
    If we allow politicians to succeed by scaring people, we don’t actually end up any safer. Fear doesn’t make us safer. It makes us weaker - Justin Trudeau Prime Minister of Canada.

  16. Sponsored Links


  17. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,404
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DougBH View Post
    We weren't attacked.
    Put the nukes away.
    Had Hillary also won the electoral college, you'd be singing a different tune.

  18. Sponsored Links


  19. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,404
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwil59 View Post
    Nobody is suggesting war. Just wake up and say it is happening and lets work on some safeguards. It's all ok, nobody will have to admit anything about the last election. lets protect the future

    Today's conservative republicans are weak, gutless cowards.

    The President's NUMBER ONE duty is to keep us safe and protect us from any foreign intrusion. Trump is so insecure about the validity of his election, that he cannot even acknowledge that there is any problem with Russian interference.

    And his fawning, servile minions defend his lack of action to protect this country.

  20. Sponsored Links


  21. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    46
    Posts
    19,211
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DougBH View Post
    Beg to differ, "The US is under attack" is a war term. I'm all for cyber security and reacting in kind and then some to any source that is doing this in an organized fashion. It needs to be in perspective and not blown out of proportion for political or other reasons. There is more at stake than this in our dealings with the second greatest nuclear power on earth.
    I don’t recall you being critical of your fellow Trump supporters when they used war terms to describe illegal immigrants as an invasion by a foreign power.

  22. Sponsored Links


  23. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    4,157
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwil59 View Post
    It's all ok, nobody will have to admit anything about the last election. lets protect the future

    That sounds good in theory but you know half the country is hoping their is evidence of collusion with Russia that will impeach the POTUS. I am reminded by this anytime I accidentally turn on CNN or half the threads of the front page here

    I Agree though with your post all western nations should do a better job protecting themselves from foreign cyber attacks. It will only get worse.

  24. Sponsored Links


  25. Likes Camp liked this post
  26. #27
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    26,686
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    A computer is a two way communication device. Securing it is an ongoing never ending process.

    Looking ahead...2020..2022...2024 will also be "under attack."

    Best thing we can do is resist the call to R or D and stay in the I as much as possible.

    Victory is not won in miles but in inches.
    Win a little now, hold your ground, and later win a little more. Louis L'Amour.

  27. Sponsored Links


  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK, Norwich.
    Age
    33
    Posts
    36,581
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Camp View Post
    A computer is a two way communication device. Securing it is an ongoing never ending process.

    Looking ahead...2020..2022...2024 will also be "under attack."

    Best thing we can do is resist the call to R or D and stay in the I as much as possible.

    It's going to be every election cycle now, as it's proven to be a highly effective tactic for Russian intelligence. And not just in the US either.

    I imagine conservatives will take it more seriously once the Russian disinfo campaign pushes hard for Democrats in an election cycle.

    Well, perhaps notsomuch take it more seriously as lose their ****.

    They won't be able to say they weren't warned however.

  29. Sponsored Links


  30. #29
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    26,686
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoleUK View Post
    It's going to be every election cycle now, as it's proven to be a highly effective tactic for Russian intelligence. And not just in the US either.

    I imagine conservatives will take it more seriously once the Russian disinfo campaign pushes hard for Democrats in an election cycle.

    Well, perhaps notsomuch take it more seriously as lose their ****.

    They won't be able to say they weren't warned however.
    What they are fomenting is hyperpartisanship.

    Interesting to note that the radical Jihadi has been relegated to the background.

    Victory is not won in miles but in inches.
    Win a little now, hold your ground, and later win a little more. Louis L'Amour.

  31. Sponsored Links


  32. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtInTheMiddle View Post
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ons/332566002/



    "The nation's top intelligence officials said Tuesday that Russia is targeting the 2018 elections as it seeks to undermine America's political process and sow partisan division with cyber attacks and other digital disruption.

    "Frankly, the United States is under attack," Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats told the Senate Intelligence Committee, adding that Russia is attempting to "degrade our democratic values and weaken our alliances."

    In unequivocal language, Coats said Russian President Vladimir Putin was emboldened by Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential elections and is targeting the midterms.

    "There should be no doubt that (Putin) views the past effort as successful," said Coats who was joined Tuesday by the nation's other top intelligence officials, including CIA Director Mike Pompeo, National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers and FBI Director Christopher Wray."


    Well, that's pretty strong language. He's says Putin was successful and isn't going to relent. I guess it's not gonna change/stop.

    What's remains to be very odd is our President, after signing sanctions against the country attacking us, won't implement the sanctions and, according to FBI Director Christopher Wray, Trump hasn’t even directed him to stop Russian efforts to interfere in this year’s midterms.

    That's weird folks.

    Oh. America First.

    Maybe Trump will use the sanctions as a bargaining chip?
    "Look, Putin, i do not implement the sanctions and you do not target our elections. what do you think?"
    remember folks, 4d chess.


  33. Sponsored Links


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •