3 Trump properties posted 144 openings for seasonal jobs. Only 1 went to a US worker - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default 3 Trump properties posted 144 openings for seasonal jobs. Only 1 went to a US worker

“America First” doesn’t seem to apply to the president’s own businesses.

By Feb 13, 2018, 9:00am EST

President Donald Trump's businesses don’t seem too concerned about “America First."

A Vox analysis of hiring records for seasonal workers at three Trump properties in New York and Florida revealed that only one out of 144 jobs went to a US worker from 2016 to the end of 2017. Foreign guest workers with H-2B visas got the rest.

The H-2B visa program allows seasonal, non-agricultural employers — like hotels and ski resorts — to hire foreign workers when they can’t find American ones. The Trump administration temporarily expanded this guest-worker program in 2017 while restricting other avenues of legal immigration, including the H-1B program for high-skilled workers.

The Trump Organization is exactly the kind of company that relies on the H-2B visa program for low-skilled workers.

Vox reviewed recruiting files submitted to the US Department of Labor for two Trump properties in Florida (including Mar-a-Lago) and one in New York from the start of 2016 through the end of 2017. In that period, hiring managers said they were able to find and hire only one qualified American worker — a cook — for 144 open positions for servers, cooks, housekeepers, and bartenders.
    https://www.vox.com/2018/2/13/164665...-guest-workers

America first?

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusptc View Post
    0-o 0-0 what the actual ****. and liberals are the ones who have melted down? btw you might want to edit the picture size
    Cant, on mobile right now.

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Former Paratrooper View Post
    Bold mine
    she kept the $130k, correct?

6. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by call me ishmael View Post
    people from **** hole places are satisfied working for wages that buy **** hole life styles. Get rid of these people. Supply and demand will take care of the rest and the people who take these jobs will receive a wage that is consistent with American standards.

As long as Trump is not giving his business an advantage that others dont have, he is doing nothing wrong. And I don't think it's even a "do as I say... " issue. When he manages - as president - to reduce the number of these people, I'm sure he will abide by the law.

stop whining.
    Start firing up the ovens and get the gas ready! Message received!
    Wherever you go, there you are.

8. Sponsored Links

9. Likes LouC liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poorblackman View Post
    Start firing up the ovens and get the gas ready! Message received!
    is that what you would do? I would just keep them out.
    The greatest threat to progressive liberalism is the free and open exchange of ideas.

11. Sponsored Links

So Trump is not a xenophobe?

13. Sponsored Links

This was interesting from the article

After waiting the required month, the hiring manager at Mar-a-Lago reported that only seven US workers responded to the newspaper job ads, and that they were either unqualified, uninterested, or did not return calls. "
    "Let me tell you: You take on the intelligence community — they have six ways from Sunday at getting back at you." Chuckie Schumer

15. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Ok Trump is a hypocrite, what else do you expect?

“Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

17. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtInTheMiddle View Post
    she kept the $130k, correct?
    Don't know, don't really care.
    "The struggle of the Left to rationalize its positions is an intolerable, Sisyphean burden. I speak as a reformed liberal."
    David Mamet

19. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

or their wage expectations were too high.
    Or he's an ******* hypocrite who doesn't want to hire Americans ...

George Washington: Could not tell a lie
    Richard Nixon: Could not tell the truth
    Donald Trump: Can not tell the difference.

21. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

he should not have done that
    But he did. Any thoughts about why?

George Washington: Could not tell a lie
    Richard Nixon: Could not tell the truth
    Donald Trump: Can not tell the difference.

23. Sponsored Links

I'm sure he will abide by the law.
    LOL!

His pattern of behavior does not suggest that.

25. Sponsored Links

or their wage expectations were too high.
    A single mom with 2 kids receiving welfare can score about 35k a year in benefits on the something for nothing program.
    Zero incentive.

27. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by acsirip View Post
    Those jobs - BY LAW - had to be and were offered to Americans first. Americans didn't apply for them. Then and only then could foreigners legally apply for those jobs under the H2B visa program.

Don't blame that on Trump or any other hotelier or restaurateur. Blame a US welfare system that allows capable Americans to REJECT good work at a wage the minimum of which is set by the Department of Labor. They don't need to apply so they don't apply.

The good part? These are LEGAL foreign workers - a refreshing change.

M
    "WE KNOW the attack in Libya had nothing to do with the film. It was a planned attack, not a protest." - Hillary Clinton, September 12th, 2012

29. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyS View Post
    Those jobs - BY LAW - had to be and were offered to Americans first. Americans didn't apply for them. Then and only then could foreigners legally apply for those jobs under the H2B visa program.

Don't blame that on Trump or any other hotelier or restaurateur. Blame a US welfare system that allows capable Americans to REJECT good work at a wage the minimum of which is set by the Department of Labor. They don't need to apply so they don't apply.

The good part? These are LEGAL foreign workers - a refreshing change.
    M
    Why not increase the wage to attract Americans? Law of supply and demand. At some wage you will get interested Americans.

Not sure why you defend the hiring of non-Americans.

31. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Borgia View Post
    Why not increase the wage to attract Americans? Law of supply and demand. At some wage you will get interested Americans.

Not sure why you defend the hiring of non-Americans.
    Perhaps, but that might be a wage FAR above the worth of the job. Anyone who has ever run a business knows that to pay MORE than a job is worth is a recipe for a failed business. I defend not deliberately putting a business in jeopardy just to get some American to take a job.

Again, the Department of Labor sets a wage that they believe is the minimum that job is worth and the same wage must be offered to all, so there is no way to exploit foreigners. Trump may have offered the job at a higher wage than the minimum, for all we know, but it still wasn't enough to entice Americans to apply.

Americans DO NOT HAVE TO WORK. We will feed them, regardless, so they can choose to reject work they feel is beneath them. Take away their welfare and food. They will apply.

M
    "WE KNOW the attack in Libya had nothing to do with the film. It was a planned attack, not a protest." - Hillary Clinton, September 12th, 2012

33. Sponsored Links