$7 Trillion in new deficit spending, it's 2003 all over again

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default $7 Trillion in new deficit spending, it's 2003 all over again

I've heard for years on here that the period 2000-2006, where Rs had full control and spent like drunken sailors, was a serious bastardization of the conservative principles the R party had historically stood for, and if we would just give Rs another chance, things would be different this time.

Heard it in 2010, then again in 2012. And of course last year.

Well here it is, the first full budget under total R control since 2006.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/u...-congress.html

And let me be the first to say, in regards to the sentiment that this time would be different...

AAA HA HAH AH AHAHAHAHAAHAHA !!!!!!!!

2. Sponsored Links

3. Likes TennisOps, Plasmaball liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by southernmoderate View Post
    I've heard for years on here that the period 2000-2006, where Rs had full control and spent like drunken sailors, was a serious bastardization of the conservative principles the R party had historically stood for, and if we would just give Rs another chance, things would be different this time.

Heard it in 2010, then again in 2012. And of course last year.

Well here it is, the first full budget under total R control since 2006.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/u...-congress.html

And let me be the first to say, in regards to the sentiment that this time would be different...

AAA HA HAH AH AHAHAHAHAAHAHA !!!!!!!!

Hey... but at least it eliminates funding for PBS, NPR, National Endowment for the Arts, National Endowment for the Humanities, The Institute for Museum and Library Services, The Neighborhood Reinvestment Program, The Denali Commission, The Delta Regional Authority, The National Wildlife Refuge Fund, The Rural Business and Cooperative Service, and the Chemical Safety Board.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...in-2019-budget

So take that LIBS!!!
    Kakistocracy n. (kak·is·toc·ra·cy / kękɪsˈtɑkɹəsi) Government by the worst persons; a form of government in which the worst persons are in power.

5. Sponsored Links

There are no conservative principles to bastardize. Never have been, never will be.

7. Sponsored Links

8. Likes margaretms liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    There are no conservative principles to bastardize. Never have been, never will be.
    There were, back in the 1920s. The Depression was pretty much the end of them on any sort of national level. There have been some real conservatives (Goldwater for one) but not enough to make any sort of difference.

10. Sponsored Links

What part of "deficits don't matter" do you not understand?
    Unless you already know what you don't already know, it doesn't exist.

12. Sponsored Links

Yes.

Let's all pretend that the static numbers are real - that the economy will not grow at all.

That's helpful

M
    "WE KNOW the attack in Libya had nothing to do with the film. It was a planned attack, not a protest." - Hillary Clinton, September 12th, 2012

14. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyS View Post
    Yes.

Let's all pretend that the static numbers are real - that the economy will not grow at all.

That's helpful

M

This budget makes the assumption that the economy will grow.

Even with that assumption, there is still greater deficit spending.

Go figure.
    Kakistocracy n. (kak·is·toc·ra·cy / kękɪsˈtɑkɹəsi) Government by the worst persons; a form of government in which the worst persons are in power.

16. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by jezcoe View Post
    This budget makes the assumption that the economy will grow.

Even with that assumption, there is still greater deficit spending.

Go figure.
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to know what the deficit will be and to pretend otherwise is a game that Washington plays because they know that people will believe them.

M
    "WE KNOW the attack in Libya had nothing to do with the film. It was a planned attack, not a protest." - Hillary Clinton, September 12th, 2012

18. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

It is IMPOSSIBLE to know what the deficit will be and to pretend otherwise is a game that Washington plays because they know that people will believe them.

M
    So it could be even bigger than projected.

It probably will be.

20. Sponsored Links

M
    wait, so you're undercutting the entire premise of the tax cut bill (that it will pay for itself through economic growth).

It is IMPOSSIBLE to know that the economy will grow, so we could be on the hook for trillions of dollars.

22. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by jezcoe View Post
    So it could be even bigger than projected.

It probably will be.
    It is possible - especially if the Congress keeps spending - but in fact we are experiencing an economic BOOM that is making it much more likely that the national coffers will get a huge boost.

M

24. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    wait, so you're undercutting the entire premise of the tax cut bill (that it will pay for itself through economic growth).

It is IMPOSSIBLE to know that the economy will grow, so we could be on the hook for trillions of dollars.
    No.

I believe that the tax cut bill has ALREADY made a huge difference in the positive direction, and over the next ten years it will be FAR MORE than many project.

But I don't pretend to have a figure that you can take to the bank and Washington DEALS in such pretend figures all the time.

M

26. Sponsored Links

Yes.

That's helpful

M
    Have you ever submitted a corporate or government budget in the real world? In the corporate world I had to submit one every year and I can assure you it had to be based on math - not wishful or hopeful math but actual math today. I would have been fired if I submitted a budget with asterisks and footnotes everywhere I was making a prediction instead of a statement.

I couldn't imagine sitting across from the CFO saying 'if my predictions are correct, this budget will be dead on accurate.... trust me'. That said, it would be a comical scene to be a fly on the wall for.
    All together now!

28. Sponsored Links

29. Likes Nebraska Football liked this post

No.

I believe that the tax cut bill has ALREADY made a huge difference in the positive direction, and over the next ten years it will be FAR MORE than many project.

But I don't pretend to have a figure that you can take to the bank and Washington DEALS in such pretend figures all the time.

M
    so when it comes to tax cuts...magic. But when it comes to deficit size, there's no way we can possibly know. Got it.

31. Sponsored Links

32. Likes Guilds liked this post

It is possible - especially if the Congress keeps spending - but in fact we are experiencing an economic BOOM that is making it much more likely that the national coffers will get a huge boost.

M
    Doesn't economic growth depend on the population growth?

Need people to actually do the work?

Does full employment limit growth?

Or is "growth" mean creating "wealth" through financial manipulations, like derivatives?
    "conservatism"-the selective misapplication of genuine Conservative principles to promote the fleecing of America by special interests

34. Sponsored Links