In The NT Who Of All That We've Read About Absolutely & Guaranteed Went To Heaven?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default In The NT Who Of All That We've Read About Absolutely & Guaranteed Went To Heaven?

I think this would certainly be a good subject for a sermon.
    It's not a gotcha question at all.

The minister stands before the congregation & asks this question, the congregation all will say "what does he mean? "I know my mother is in heaven. Another would say, Of course the 11 disciples are there" & so on.

I know someone will come up with the answer real fast, but I just wondered.
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

2. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Jesus.

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    Jesus.
    Speaking of Jesus, he noted that there were tax collectors and prostitutes entering the kingdom...but, was he speaking of heaven? Are the kingdom and heaven synonymous? Or, are we speaking of two different things?

6. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    Speaking of Jesus, he noted that there were tax collectors and prostitutes entering the kingdom...but, was he speaking of heaven? Are the kingdom and heaven synonymous? Or, are we speaking of two different things?
    He also said one specific individual would be in paradise, but again, is paradise the same thing as heaven?

8. Sponsored Links

The Lord's Prayer: Our Father, who art in heaven, thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
    Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom.
    This day you will be with me in Paradise.

I wonder what the Aramaic word(s) are for all these translations and how well they have been interpreted into Greek, Latin, and English.
    In our parish we say: our father, who art in heaven, how will be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses. As we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
    "Ignis aurum probat"

10. Sponsored Links

He also said one specific individual would be in paradise, but again, is paradise the same thing as heaven?
    The Lord's Prayer: Our Father, who art in heaven, thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
    Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom.
    This day you will be with me in Paradise.

I wonder what the Aramaic word(s) are for all these translations and how well they have been interpreted into Greek, Latin, and English.

12. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by FlameHeart View Post
    In our parish we say: our father, who art in heaven, how will be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses. As we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
    "How" is God's name?

Don't you love spell check? Now that I had a good chuckle, keep in mind, I was taking excerpts from the Lord's prayer, not quoting the entire prayer. My point is to focus on three words Jesus (maybe?) used. Kingdom, Paradise, Heaven. Are they the same?

14. Sponsored Links

15. Likes FlameHeart liked this post

"How" is God's name?

Don't you love spell check? Now that I had a good chuckle, keep in mind, I was taking excerpts from the Lord's prayer, not quoting the entire prayer. My point is to focus on three words Jesus (maybe?) used. Kingdom, Paradise, Heaven. Are they the same?
    I did not pick that up, lol. I'll have to get a prayer book or a misselette to see the actual written prayer, and cross-check my words. Mine is just from years of reciting it, since I was a toddler, so some words might be off, heh.

I believe that they all are the same thing, yes.
    "Ignis aurum probat"

17. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I did not pick that up, lol. I'll have to get a prayer book or a misselette to see the actual written prayer, and cross-check my words. Mine is just from years of reciting it, since I was a toddler, so some words might be off, heh.

The word you are looking for is hallowed. it means honor as holy, or greatly revered or respected. Does that make better sense than 'how will be '?

19. Sponsored Links

20. Likes FlameHeart liked this post

The way you wrote it (outside of 'hallowed') is the way I've always said the prayer as well.

My grandmother once confided that when she was small, someone who was carefully listening to her say the prayer, and had a correction. Coming from a rather poor family (and in the days before sliced, packaged bread in their community), they could not afford to buy the freshly baked bread, so they bought the day old bread. Yup, Grandma was praying, "Give us this day our day old bread..." which she insisted was probably a common mistake--and also very true--among poor children of her time. (Grandma took her prayers very seriously and mistakes even more seriously.)

22. Sponsored Links

23. Likes FlameHeart liked this post
    Blog Entries

The word you are looking for is hallowed. it means honor as holy, or greatly revered or respected. Does that make better sense than 'how will be '?
    Technically that's called a "mondegreen".

Like kids who mishear "holy ghost" and say, "into the hole he goes".

Or "secret Asian man" instead of Secret Agent Man.

Moral of the story: Always look up the text of the song or prayer you're listening to to make sure you know the words.
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."
    "Everyone's important to somebody."

25. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McAlpine View Post
    Technically that's called a "mondegreen".

Like kids who mishear "holy ghost" and say, "into the hole he goes".

Or "secret Asian man" instead of Secret Agent Man.

Moral of the story: Always look up the text of the song or prayer you're listening to to make sure you know the words.
    Or like the lyrics of just about any Queen song.

27. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    I think this would certainly be a good subject for a sermon.
    It's not a gotcha question at all.

The minister stands before the congregation & asks this question, the congregation all will say "what does he mean? "I know my mother is in heaven. Another would say, Of course the 11 disciples are there" & so on.

I know someone will come up with the answer real fast, but I just wondered.
    Those whose names are found in the Lamb's Book of Life.
    The heel of a Christian should never be brought to bear upon the unbeliever, but should bear up under the weight of the Christian, kneeling in humble service to all.

29. Sponsored Links

This was to be my next point. Out of all the believers in the NT, Jesus specifically told the thief on the cross "this day you'll be with me in paradise". As far as I can see, the thief on the cross was the only person who was told that by Jesus. Jesus told all His followers how to get to heaven, but told the thief that he was going to be there.

A thief in that day was considered to be as low a human being as their was. This was a man who wasn't a believer, he didn't take up his cross & follow Jesus, he was just a sinner.

I've read & heard the story of the thief on the cross many times, but until last nite, I've never put it together. Jesus taught Christians, ate with sinners & prostitutes, but here was a man guilty of a crime. Jesus was guilty of no crime, yet He forgave his sins & took him to paradise with Him.

I've studied about Jesus many times being in paradise preaching to the saints. This is what my old professor taught us in college. In his own words Dr. Reid said "Abraham was saved on credit, the Messiah had not yet come, so he was saved by his faith he would come".

Dr. Reid described Jesus' preaching to the saints this way "I am He whom you've been waiting for, your Messiah". At that time & today the Jews are still waiting for "Messiah".

There's a verse in the Bible where Jesus & His saints won the "Battle of Armageddon" & some Jews came up to Him with a question. "Where did you get those scars in your hands"? Jesus answered this way, "in the house of my friends". The Jews at that time recognized "Jesus as Messiah" & fell weeping at His feet saying "forgive us".

There are different interpretations about what I said about Jesus preaching to the saints, then taking them from paradise with Him the heaven. This tho is the way I believe it. Paradise was a place for all who died before Jesus came. One side was for those who were waiting for Messiah & the other side was for the others.

When Jesus took the believers with Him paradise became one place, which is hell (Gehenna). The same place where "the rich man" was, when he begged that Lazarus come & wet his tongue for he was in torment.

Do you have a Bible story that you believe is spectacular as I do this?
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

31. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    <SNIP>

When Jesus took the believers with Him paradise became one place, which is hell (Gehenna). The same place where "the rich man" was, when he begged that Lazarus come & wet his tongue for he was in torment.

Do you have a Bible story that you believe is spectacular as I do this?
    Have you studied the Biblical Charts by Charles Larkin?
    The great enemy of truth is not so much the lie (deliberate, contrived and dishonest) but the myth (persistent, persuasive and unrealistic).

33. Sponsored Links