Remember how Trump tax cuts were going to lead to pay increases? - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Remember how Trump tax cuts were going to lead to pay increases?

We had a thread on it not long ago:

http://forums.hannity.com/showthread...-many-liberals

Well, let's look at where we're at now.

AT&T, despite saying it will give bonuses, is also cutting thousands of jobs and is increasing prices soon:

AT&T is eliminating thousands of jobs across the U.S., including 30 in Central Indiana, according to Communications Workers of America, the union that represents AT&T employees. The company is cutting nearly 12 percent of its technicians who install U-verse and DirectTV in the Indianapolis area, according to union figures.
    https://www.indystar.com/story/money...led/992690001/

AT&T/DirecTV: Prices are going up by $8 across the board in January
    http://bgr.com/2018/01/05/cord-cutti...prices-rising/

Comcast, who lobbied hard for the cuts, has fired 500 (and tried to hide it) and is increasing prices:

Comcast reportedly fired about 500 salespeople shortly before Christmas, despite claiming that the company would create thousands of new jobs in exchange for a big tax cut.

Comcast apparently tried to keep the firings secret while it lobbied for the tax cut that was eventually passed into law by the Republican-controlled Congress and signed by President Trump in late December. The Philadelphia Inquirer revealed the Comcast firings this week in an article based on information from an anonymous former employee, Comcast documents, and other sources in the company.

The former employee who talked to the Inquirer "could not be identified because of a nondisclosure agreement as part of a severance package," the article said. The Inquirer headline notes that Comcast was able to implement the firings "quietly," avoiding any press coverage until this week.
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...sands-of-jobs/

Comcast: Pay TV prices will increase by 2.2% on average beginning this month
    I've had a bunch of family and friends with Comcast already saying the're prices have been jacked up.

Remember the promised Wells Fargo promising to boost its min wage?

Well, that only accounts for 5% of the savings they will receive from the Trump tax cuts:

The wage hike and additional charitable giving will cost Wells Fargo about $215 million in 2018, according to investment bank KBW. That represents just 5% of Wells Fargo's total estimated earnings benefit from the tax overhaul, KBW estimates.
    http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/02/inve...ump/index.html

Big telecomms are increasing prices, which will offset the wage hikes/jobs they create, and the big banks are placating us by offering a pittance while doing lord knows what with the rest.

Just like the Carrier and Ford "victories," that turned out to be hollow, there are already signs that the Trump tax plan may not go the way a lot of people on the right thought they would, and it hasn't even been signed into law yet.

2. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cratic3947 View Post
    and factory employment declined.

you wrote that..
    You said I stated it declined FOR DECEMBER. What I stated was a summary of information directly found in your article-that the survey showed that the factory employment gauge declined for the period within the survey..

Did your article state that the factory employment gauge declined? Yes or no.

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by peek-a-boo View Post
    I'm kind of guessing you don't quite understand capitalism?
    Sears has been going downhill all of my life. A generation or two before me it was the Amazon of the day. Making all of that money creates competitors who want a chunk of it.

6. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cratic3947 View Post
    I sent you today the BLS stat that shows manufacturing jobs increased by 25K in December with a link..

You said "and factory employment declined."....

You stated I said manufacturing jobs declined IN DECEMBER. That's not what I stated. You lied. Again.

What I stated was that, per your article, manufacturing, DURING THE PERIOD CITED BY THE SURVEY IN YOUR ARTICLE declined. That's what YOUR ARTICLE stated.

Time for your retraction and admission of misquoting what I said and taking it out of context.

8. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypto View Post
    A crap load of Sears and Kmart stores are closing as well. Too much damn winning!
    I'm kind of guessing you don't quite understand capitalism?
    Hillary 2020!

10. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by party-free View Post
    They want lower costs so they can put MORE money in their own pockets while squeezing every last penny they can from us.
    You say that like it's a bad thing. Should they raise costs, so that they put less money in their own pockets? Why, so they should be try to be unprofitable, or be a charity? Every company tries to squeeze every last penny, but constrained by things such as competition, and often government regulation,. The little place I order pizza from, wants to squeeze every last penny,. Yet, they have coupons and promotions. As such they squeeze every last penny, they can. It's called capitalism.

12. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing. Should they raise costs, so that they put less money in their own pockets? Why, so they should be try to be unprofitable, or be a charity? Every company tries to squeeze every last penny, but constrained by things such as competition, and often government regulation,. The little place I order pizza from, wants to squeeze every last penny,. Yet, they have coupons and promotions. As such they squeeze every last penny, they can. It's called capitalism.
    Thanks for reaffirming my OP! That's entirely my point-that the rich are just getting richer while squeezing all the $$ and work they can out of the "forgotten man." The Trump tax plan stands to exacerbate that. I'm not sure that's something worth celebrating.

14. Sponsored Links

A crap load of Sears and Kmart stores are closing as well. Too much damn winning!
    Seriously?
    That is because of Places like Walmart and Amazon
    Has nothing to do with Taxes
    Has to do with Sears and Kmart can not compete with Target, Amazon, Wallmarts
    Jack Burton: May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.

16. Sponsored Links

17. Likes pennysworth liked this post
    Blog Entries

Thanks for reaffirming my OP! That's entirely my point-that the rich are just getting richer while squeezing all the $$ and work they can out of the "forgotten man." The Trump tax plan stands to exacerbate that. I'm not sure that's something worth celebrating.
    I'm only reaffirming your point, if you think capitalism, is the best thing that we have. Otherwise, I'm not reaffirming your point. I know that to some it seems awful, that some people could be rich. I think it's great, if that's why they're rich. It is a byproduct of capitalism, when some are successful. Also, ironically a by product of other systems, is that some are rich. Maduro and his family are rich, as was Chavez. I did read though that Maduro, raised the minimum wage to about the equivalent of $2.00 per month. He's a people loving sweetheart. Capitalist's? Are Venezuelan's thriving? Nah. Try to, think smaller though. Is your barber, or bakery, trying to squeeze you?

19. Sponsored Links

Sears/Kmart not doing so well? Well that was definitely caused by the new tax law. What else could it be?
    Brennan on evidence of collusion: "I don't do evidence"

21. Sponsored Links

Yeah, and that has everything to do with Republicans and nothing to do with Amazon and other retailers simply out smarting them.
    Trump 2013: Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.

23. Sponsored Links

The OP did some cherry picking. Here's some of my own.

WILMINGTON, DELAWARE (Dec. 28, 2017) Delaware Supermarkets Inc. is handing out $150 bonuses to 1,000 non-management and union-represented employees as a result of the recent tax reform bill being signed into law. The bonus is in addition to holiday and performance bonuses.The Wilmington, Delaware-based company, which owns six ShopRite supermarkets in New Castle County, Delaware, will also invest $150,000 into employee training and development programs.The company, locally known as Kenny Family ShopRites, is following in the footsteps of such large corporations as AT&T, Boeing and Comcast. “Our ability to provide bonuses and training to our employees demonstrates the far-reachingimplications of this tax reform,” said Christopher Kenny, president and CEO of Delaware Supermarkets. “We have a renewed optimism for the local and the national economy, and this important legislation better positions us for future growth.”

https://www.majoritywhip.gov/wp-cont...2/ShopRite.pdf

All Nexus Services, Inc. employees will receive a 5% raise, starting in January 2018, CEO Mike Donovan announced today. Also, Nexus unveiled plans to hire another 200 workers over the course of 2018 – doubling the size of Nexus Services, Inc. workforce nationwide. Many of the new jobs will be created in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley and other jobs will be in San Juan (Puerto Rico), Hackensack (NJ), Ontario (CA) and other sites nationwide.
    “Nexus is reinvesting in the job-starved regions of Virginia, Puerto Rico, California, New Jersey and elsewhere. And we are creating new jobs in the very places where jobs are the hardest to find, not simply adding more jobs to a handful of wealthy counties like Fairfax (Virginia) and San Jose (California). That’s what we call corporate social responsibility,” Donovan said.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/37123266/...d-200-new-jobs

-Minneapolis-based U.S. Bancorp today announced a $1,000 bonus for nearly 60,000 employees, a new minimum wage of $15 per hour for all hourly employees and a $150 million contribution to the U.S. Bank Foundation. The company also said it would enhance employee health insurance offerings and pour more money into improving customers’ mobile and digital experiences.

-Dallas-based Comerica also provided a $1,000 bonus for its non-officer employees and boosted its bank-wide minimum wage to $15.

-First Financial Northwest, headquartered in Renton, Wash., said it would pay a $1,000 bonus to all of its non-executive employees.

-Bank of the James, Lynchburg, Va., raised its minimum wage to $15 per hour for employees with more than one year of service, added vacation days and substantially increased its charitable giving plans for 2018.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...eform-n2429686

I guess Bernie was right. This is an "attack" on the middle class.
    Trump 2013: Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.

25. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
    I'm only reaffirming your point, if you think capitalism, is the best thing that we have. Otherwise, I'm not reaffirming your point. I know that to some it seems awful, that some people could be rich. I think it's great, if that's why they're rich. It is a byproduct of capitalism, when some are successful. Also, ironically a by product of other systems, is that some are rich. Maduro and his family are rich, as was Chavez. I did read though that Maduro, raised the minimum wage to about the equivalent of $2.00 per month. He's a people loving sweetheart. Capitalist's? Are Venezuelan's thriving? Nah. Try to, think smaller though. Is your barber, or bakery, trying to squeeze you?
    My barber and baker aren't jacking up prices on goods and services while the prices of commodities are low.

My local coffee shop is, however. A few years ago, when milk and gas were higher, they were charging me significantly less than they are now for the same beverage. The price of the product has risen steadily while their cost to provide the product has gone down. It's why I don't to there any longer.

I don't despite the rich-I just don't think it's terribly fair to cut their taxes by a higher percent than those of the middle/lower classes. I don't see them as benevolent for tossing a few extra breadcrumbs our way while their coffers are filled much faster.

27. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Apple is going to bring back 200 billion from overseas dollars at about 12 percent taxation.

24 billion dollars goes into goverment treasury.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

29. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by itsjoanne View Post
    [SIZE=4]The OP did some cherry picking. Here's some of my own.

No, the OP didn't cherry-pick. The OP used another person's premise (ie-the thread I linked in the 2nd line of the OP) as the basis for this thread.

Would you like to me go and list all the companies that haven't announced pay increases or bonuses as a result of the tax plan? I bet they outnumber those who have announced as much. It will take a while.

Bernie was right-it's an attack inasmuch as people who make more than me are getting a higher PERCENT tax cut than I am. And the cuts for the very top (ie-corporations) are going to be permanent while mine have an expiration date built in.

Don't tell me I should be thankful that the king is letting me keep an extra potato each month while the lords and dukes get to keep an even higher percent.
    Last edited by party-free; January 5th, 2018 at 4:35 pm.

31. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

My barber and baker aren't jacking up prices on goods and services while the prices of commodities are low.

My local coffee shop is, however. A few years ago, when milk and gas were higher, they were charging me significantly less than they are now for the same beverage. The price of the product has risen steadily while their cost to provide the product has gone down. It's why I don't to there any longer.

I don't despite the rich-I just don't think it's terribly fair to cut their taxes by a higher percent than those of the middle/lower classes. I don't see them as benevolent for tossing a few extra breadcrumbs our way while their coffers are filled much faster.
    They're not benevolent, that's actually a feature, and a benefit. If their mission statement was benevolence, it could never work. It's impossible, except maybe for a charity, that depends on what? People and companies, who don't have discretionary funds/money, to be benevolent with? Maybe your barber is not jacking up prices. Think they'd not prefer to? It would be stupid and irrational, to not prefer to, If your barber charges $10, do you think they wouldn't rather charge $10.50? So if they don't, why not? Hint: The fact that they don't (or can't) isn't benevolence. It's capitalism. It's capitalism, large or small, rich or not rich. It's the one thing that works, if allowed to. It tries to work, even under oppressive conditions.
    Last edited by Nashville; January 5th, 2018 at 4:44 pm.

33. Sponsored Links