Arizona GOP Rep. Trent Franks to resign - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Arizona GOP Rep. Trent Franks to resign

That's what sources are saying this afternoon, because: inappropriate behavior.

No more than that at this point. He'll be making a statement soon.

Till then, any guesses as to why this resignation might be happening?

Arizona GOP Rep. Trent Franks will resign, sources say

"Republican Arizona Rep. Trent Franks is expected to resign, multiple sources tell CNN on Thursday.

The reasons for his resignation were not immediately clear as the news broke. On Thursday evening, a group of conservative House Republicans gathered around Franks on the floor and prayed with him. Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, one of the members who huddled with Franks, told CNN that a statement is coming out shortly on the issue."
    “The best defense against bull **** is vigilance - So if you smell something, say something." Jon Stewart

2. Sponsored Links

Good, if he's been doing what's been claimed. Him and all the others that had payoffs should go immediately.

Add to it that each should lose their Congressional pensions. That money has already been spent.
    Come Visit Beautiful, Scenic Jonestown

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Airyaman View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this one, on the surface of what we know. It seems he was desperate to have children, and did not think about the consequences of approaching subordinates about surrogacy. Unless there is more here than meets the eye, this is not what I would feel is sexual harassment. I think it was highly inappropriate, but not sure where it fits.
    Yeah, I need to think this one over. Initially when I heard he was resigning before we even knew the reason I thought it must be really terrible.

For sure this was very inappropriate but certainly not in the same ball park as Moore.

6. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by itsjoanne View Post
    Yeah, I need to think this one over. Initially when I heard he was resigning before we even knew the reason I thought it must be really terrible.

For sure this was very inappropriate but certainly not in the same ball park as Moore.
    Certainly not in the ballpark but nevertheless a "what were you thinking?" moment.

When I was in graduate school I would often lecture in my thesis director's undergrad introductory courses when she needed to be away for whatever reason. We had to go through a briefing beforehand where we made it clear we understood the university's code of conduct for instructors. Part of that explained that due to the nature of the relationship between students and an instructor, we were expected to refrain from any romantic pursuits with students while they were in a course we taught. They understood that we were human and attractions happen, but they expected us to keep it under wraps until after the semester was over and the student was no longer under us (pun intended).

Long story short? Do not mess around where you earn your livelihood, and certainly never when there is a power imbalance present. It almost always ends badly.
    You're messin' with the wrong wolf, baby/Darkness gonna break your light - ​Dorothy, "Missile"

8. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypto View Post
    He probably suggested a trial run.
    Would you buy a car without driving it first?

10. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

No doubt, it was way out of bounds. He was right to step down. I'm just not ready to lump him in with the other sexual deviants without more evidence.
    Agreed. If that is ALL that happened, then he is not in the same class as the rest of these idiots.
    You're messin' with the wrong wolf, baby/Darkness gonna break your light - ​Dorothy, "Missile"

12. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jezcoe View Post
    The phrase I use is dont **** where you eat.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the phrase but I figured better not to test the filter too often.

14. Sponsored Links

15. Likes jezcoe liked this post
    Blog Entries

One other Q : If he was so dire in want of more children, (and so exceptionally against abortion)
    there sure are pa-lenty of unwanted children available for adoption he may have considered.

But, naw...
    “The best defense against bull **** is vigilance - So if you smell something, say something." Jon Stewart

17. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Who View Post
    One other Q : If he was so dire in want of more children, (and so exceptionally against abortion)
    there sure are pa-lenty of unwanted children available for adoption he may have considered.

But, naw...
    Apparently Franks and his wife wanted there to be some biological tie between them and the child? I'm not certain but it seems like a fairly common condition for some would-be parents.

But yes, if the desperation for a sibling for their twins was that great then adoption would have been the more sure (if possibly longer) route.

19. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    IMO, within the context of the superior/subordinate dynamic it's inappropriate. You just don't engage your subordinates in your employ in this kind of talk, however innocent it might have been.
    No doubt, it was way out of bounds. He was right to step down. I'm just not ready to lump him in with the other sexual deviants without more evidence.

The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists. - Arendt

21. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    Certainly not in the ballpark but nevertheless a "what were you thinking?" moment.

When I was in graduate school I would often lecture in my thesis director's undergrad introductory courses when she needed to be away for whatever reason. We had to go through a briefing beforehand where we made it clear we understood the university's code of conduct for instructors. Part of that explained that due to the nature of the relationship between students and an instructor, we were expected to refrain from any romantic pursuits with students while they were in a course we taught. They understood that we were human and attractions happen, but they expected us to keep it under wraps until after the semester was over and the student was no longer under us (pun intended).

Long story short? Do not mess around where you earn your livelihood, and certainly never when there is a power imbalance present. It almost always ends badly.
    The phrase I use is dont **** where you eat.

23. Sponsored Links

Rick Santorum thinks man on dog. But he thinks that about everyone.

25. Sponsored Links

Yeah, I saw that a few minutes ago.

Not buying his soft-walk version.
    I'm with you on that.

Reports say: "he discussed surrogacy with two former female subordinates, when he and his wife faced infertility. ..." That's kind of benign at face value. So I'm guessing there is a whole lot more to it than just "discussing surrogacy" with co-workers.

My first reaction was that he got graphic with some of the discussion, but even that shouldn't warrant resignation. But if he asked them to be surrogates (and especially depending on the way he asked them), it makes sense that the guy folded so quickly.
    ... deliver us from evil.

27. Sponsored Links

From his statement:

... I deeply regret that my discussion of this option and process in the workplace caused distress.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...gnation-287128
    See. That just indicates that he discussed the procedure with co-workers. Nothing in that to resign over.

He's mincing his words. Nobody resigns over something that benign.
    ... deliver us from evil.

29. Sponsored Links

But, naw...
    Apparently they tried that but the woman changed her mind. I can imagine if you go through that once you don't want to again.

31. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by itsjoanne View Post
    Apparently they tried that but the woman changed her mind. I can imagine if you go through that once you don't want to again.
    I'm not talking about newborns. You see, there are a whole lot of children hurting, in institutions, looking for adoption right now, praying some loving parents will adopt them and bring them into their family.

Thing is: they are not bouncing, fresh infants.

If those so steadfastly against abortion -- to the point they call it "worse than slavery" - then you would think those born already, hungering for a family and a bit older than swaddled, peek-a-boo, I see you age, would be a serious consideration.

This is where I have a real bone of contention with anti-abortion fanatics who turn a blind eye to these wanting, young souls.

33. Sponsored Links

34. Likes reflechissez, Guilds liked this post