Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Trump Adminstration Considering Withdrawing U.S. Participation in the Olympics

According to many news sources (I saw it on BBC) Nikki Haley announced that the U.S. is considering withdrawing from the Winter Olympics.

As usual, the Trump administration is tone deaf on this topic choosing to float the idea the day after Russia was banned. Those headlines will write themselves.

Good idea? Dumb?
    All together now!

2. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

#MAGA = Many Are Getting Arrested.
    "Don't give this man the nuclear codes." -- Tony Schwartz, co-author "The Art of the Deal."

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by wonderingrover View Post
    I'm thinking the Trump presidency is going down in the history books as the "What the **** ???" presidency.
    He's making Obama look better by the day.

6. Sponsored Links

7. Likes wonderingrover liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Well that'd be idiotic.
    I love the Biathlon and all the Nordic ski events.
    Also Lindsey Vonn. Little less so recently, but still.
    Myself I like the ice events. speed skating, figure skating, curling and Ice hockey.

Allan

9. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
    When asked by FOX News, she said U.S. participation in the Winter Games is still an open question.

Maybe they have a valid reason to for our participation to be an 'open question' but to throw that out there one day after Russia was banned is just stupid.
    Yes. I agree. All that international cooperation and fanfare of the Olympic competition could really put a crimp in the ratings for the American preemptive war of aggression on North Korea.
    Tis the Season ... Luke 2:7-14

11. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by wonderingrover View Post
    I'm thinking the Trump presidency is going down in the history books as the "What the **** ???" presidency.
    It is like we all woke up on January 21st of 2017 and found out we were really living in the joke about the lunatics running the asylum.
    Tis the Season ... Luke 2:7-14

13. Sponsored Links

14. Likes wonderingrover liked this post

Do you Chicken Littles do this when the weather forecast calls for rain too?

From the link...The Winter Olympics are set to be held Feb. 9-25 in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The situation with neighboring North Korea, which has grown increasingly hostile while pursuing its nuclear ambitions, is "changing by the day," Haley said on Fox News, making the security of US athletes uncertain.
    Still, Haley said she believes President Donald Trump's administration will work to "find out the best way" to make sure the athletes are protected.
    Victory is not won in miles but in inches.
    Win a little now, hold your ground, and later win a little more. Louis L'Amour.

16. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by DoLoop View Post
    I think Haley's comments around it relate to the international backlash against the decision to move the embassy to Jerusalem.

Pretty stupid, though. It'll easily be tied to the decision to ban the Russians and make the President look beholden to the Putin regime.
    It's just so bizarre to watch people who lived with the Cold War so long all of a sudden loving Russia. I mean, the Cold War ended when I was nine but even if Putin hadn't destroyed democracy in Russia, encourage a bizarre form of white nationalism where the "blacks" are literal Caucasians and basically crowned himself Tsar, I'd still be deeply suspicious of them in the same way my grandfather was about Germany and Japan.
    "If it's beef, it's whatever, I ain't never been sweet/
    And in a battle I ain't never been beat, I'm in a race/
    To try to take Hova's place and you ain't better than Bleek."

18. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Camp View Post
    Do you Chicken Littles do this when the weather forecast calls for rain too?

From the link...The Winter Olympics are set to be held Feb. 9-25 in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The situation with neighboring North Korea, which has grown increasingly hostile while pursuing its nuclear ambitions, is "changing by the day," Haley said on Fox News, making the security of US athletes uncertain.
    Still, Haley said she believes President Donald Trump's administration will work to "find out the best way" to make sure the athletes are protected.
    Yeah like I said above it doesn't really sound like they are going to pull us out.

20. Sponsored Links

the international community is being mean so we are not going to the Olympics! is your government run by children?
    If we allow politicians to succeed by scaring people, we donít actually end up any safer. Fear doesnít make us safer. It makes us weaker - Justin Trudeau Prime Minister of Canada.

22. Sponsored Links

23. Likes madasheck liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano "Tommy" Lucchese View Post
    It's just so bizarre to watch people who lived with the Cold War so long all of a sudden loving Russia. I mean, the Cold War ended when I was nine but even if Putin hadn't destroyed democracy in Russia, encourage a bizarre form of white nationalism where the "blacks" are literal Caucasians and basically crowned himself Tsar, I'd still be deeply suspicious of them in the same way my grandfather was about Germany and Japan.
    No ****: Over Thanksgiving, I was treated to the weird spectacle of a rightwing relative enthusiastically reading a long excerpt from one of Putin's recent speeches to the Duma. It was like: Listen to his guy! He's awesome! He got a five-standing ovation! Bizarre.
    "The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering." -- Tom Waits

25. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianJudo View Post
    the international community is being mean so we are not going to the Olympics! is your government run by children?
    As a senator correctly noted, the White House is currently a full time adult day care center.

27. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtInTheMiddle View Post
    He's making Obama look better by the day.
    That ship sailed a long ass time ago.
    I don't stand by anything - Donald trump

29. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano "Tommy" Lucchese View Post
    It's just so bizarre to watch people who lived with the Cold War so long all of a sudden loving Russia...
    Yeah. It is.

31. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

That would be stupid.....just as stupid as Carter boycotting the Olympics IMO.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

33. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Why were you all trying to make this seem like some weird mystery?

Sanders clearly cited the reason it was an “open question”...security issues arising out of tensions with North Korea.

Now...still a dumb reason but hardly a totally off the wall, out of the blue thing to say.
    • The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • Wisdom is knowing how little we know.
    • The arguments stay the same...only the sides making those arguments change.

35. Sponsored Links