Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Republicans set to cut social security and medicare due to "deficit" - what a crock

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/politi...orm/index.html

Could you trump voters be more gullible? As detailed in the article cited above, Paul Ryan openly admits that now that they're about to give a huge tax break to the top 1% most wealthy Americans, and to the largest corporations making record profits, a move that will increase the federal deficit by at least 1.5 TRILLION DOLLARS, they are going to immediately move to cut Medicare and Social Security, because of, wait for it..... concerns over the federal deficit!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha - how many red staters and older demographic trump voters are there? How badly were you fooled?

Suckers!
    Last edited by Honest Abe; December 7th, 2017 at 11:25 am.

2. Sponsored Links

3. Likes Reinaert liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Remus View Post
    If you are over 65...you have had ample...more than enough...time...to make a nest egg. Its not the Governments fault you wiled away your cash on fast food and gasoline. Stereo's and Beer. Time to pay the piper I say. Can I get you another can of Fancy Feast?
    But no women?
    • The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • Wisdom is knowing how little we know.
    • The arguments stay the same...only the sides making those arguments change.

5. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddad409 View Post
    I don't know what Ryan has said or not said. Assessments from the left are normally not accurate as to what was said or what it means.

That's one good thing about President Trump's tweets. I can see exactly what he said rather than what some reporter SAID he said.
    Good point. Here's one of his tweets:

I was the first & only potential GOP candidate to state there will be no cuts to Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid. Huckabee copied me.
    https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...38364187602944

He consistently promised "no cuts" before and during his campaign. I started two threads on this topic. over the last two and a half years.

So do you think he will keep this promise?

Do you want him to?
    "The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering." -- Tom Waits

7. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by peter45 View Post
    The "dole" that they paid for,
    of course.
    Great news. I've recently made it to "full retirement" age and now planning on "retiring" at the end of the year.
    In preparation for this event I have found that:
    1. The Social Security benefit I will be receiving will be garnished each month based on my previous 24 months earnings. Works out to about $140.00/ month right off the top to pay for MY Medicare Part B.
    2. Medicare Part B. I've been paying into Medicare as a wage earner for as long as I can remember, Part B Coverage is only 80% requiring either a "supplemental plan" or pay cash for the remaining 20%.
    Estimates for a supplemental coverage: $128-$135.00/ month.
    3. Prescription medications (thank God I don't require many) Part D requires enrollment and costs roughly $35.00-$50.00/ month.
    4. Dental, Vision & Hearing plans are additional as well. A plan N costs about $90.00/ month.
    5. So my "entitlement" is going to cost me roughly $140.00/ month plus a $140.00 deduction not counting deductibles or co-pays.
    My employer provided family plan that I'm leaving (Group type) was a $288.00 deduction/ month. Now that I'll be on a fixed income my wife has no coverage. At age 62 she is not eligible for Medicare until 66 + 3 months. Estimates for 18 months of COBRA are around $803.00/ month. Thank God the two grandchildren we're raising are eligible through State or Medicaid programs.
    Entitlements? My arse!
    Never underestimate the therapeutic power of driving fast and listening to very loud music.

9. Sponsored Links

10. Likes pennysworth liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bigtwnvin View Post
    Great news. I've recently made it to "full retirement" age and now planning on "retiring" at the end of the year.
    In preparation for this event I have found that:
    1. The Social Security benefit I will be receiving will be garnished each month based on my previous 24 months earnings. Works out to about $140.00/ month right off the top to pay for MY Medicare Part B.
    2. Medicare Part B. I've been paying into Medicare as a wage earner for as long as I can remember, Part B Coverage is only 80% requiring either a "supplemental plan" or pay cash for the remaining 20%.
    Estimates for a supplemental coverage: $128-$135.00/ month.
    3. Prescription medications (thank God I don't require many) Part D requires enrollment and costs roughly $35.00-$50.00/ month.
    4. Dental, Vision & Hearing plans are additional as well. A plan N costs about $90.00/ month.
    5. So my "entitlement" is going to cost me roughly $140.00/ month plus a $140.00 deduction not counting deductibles or co-pays.
    My employer provided family plan that I'm leaving (Group type) was a $288.00 deduction/ month. Now that I'll be on a fixed income my wife has no coverage. At age 62 she is not eligible for Medicare until 66 + 3 months. Estimates for 18 months of COBRA are around $803.00/ month. Thank God the two grandchildren we're raising are eligible through State or Medicaid programs.
    Entitlements? My arse!
    Bad news,

as you get older, those amounts that you will be paying go up.

In other words,

the older you get, the probability that you have reduced your savings for living expenses increases,

the amount you will pay goes up.

And,
    when you hit 70,
    the tax laws make you begin taking money out of your IRA/401K accounts.
    "conservatism"-the selective misapplication of genuine Conservative principles to promote the fleecing of America by special interests

12. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cratic3947 View Post
    Is there the slightest chance SS and Medicare need some reform?
    I think so sir. I bet we could even pass reform that will save a bundle without even cutting benefits.

With a businessman like Trump working on it we should be able to cut out some fat right off the top.

Would reform that does not cut benefits work for you?
    “Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

14. Sponsored Links

Medicare and SS *need* to be cut because we have no way to pay for what we have promised in those programs, unless we discover gigantic deposits of diamonds, oil, gold, and natural gas on Mars. This is a simple matter of sixth-grade math. We have over-promised and can't pay what we have promised. Medicare alone is facing $30 TRILLION in unfunded obligations over the next few decades. Medicare pays for far too many things that individuals should pay for anyway, not to mention that it is rife with fraud.

SS benefits should be cut by about 25% for everyone under 62, i.e., everyone who is not yet receiving SS, and I say this as someone who can start claiming SS in a few years. We simply cannot afford what we have promised in SS. Do the math.

Or do you just wanna see us go bankrupt? If people like you will stop the demagoguery over this issue and start dealing with reality, we might just be able to avoid bankruptcy and social chaos ala Weimar Germany.
    Last edited by Mike Griffith; December 8th, 2017 at 6:00 am.

16. Sponsored Links

Stop listening to FAKE NEWS CNN!
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

18. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Griffith View Post
    Medicare and SS *need* to be cut because we have no way to pay for what we have promised in those programs, unless we discover gigantic deposits of diamonds, oil, gold, and natural gas on Mars. This is a simple matter of sixth-grade math. We have over-promised and can't pay what we have promised. Medicare alone is facing $30 TRILLION in unfunded obligations over the next few decades. Medicare pays for far too many things that individuals should pay for anyway, not to mention that it is rife with fraud.

SS benefits should be cut by about 25% for everyone under 62, i.e., everyone who is not yet receiving SS, and I say this as someone who can start claiming SS in a few years. We simply cannot afford what we have promised in SS. Do the math.

Or do you just wanna see us go bankrupt? If people like you will stop the demagoguery over this issue and start dealing with reality, we might just be able to avoid bankruptcy and social chaos ala Weimar Germany.
    Are we just going to ignore the one department that has an event horizon around its balance sheets? We don't even have a guesstimate of the per decade fraud there, except that it's between 10 and 14 figures.

At least look in between the couch sheets before changing the terms of SS and Medicare.

20. Sponsored Links

The 'easiest' reform would be for the SS trust fund to be invested in standard gov't rather than exclusively the 'special series' of low-yield government bonds in which it is currently invested.

22. Sponsored Links