Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlanta Ga.
    Posts
    39,573
    Rep Power
    18

    Default 2nd Corrinthians 5:21. Take This Cup From Me!

    I've heard hundreds of Christians over the years with totally different take on what Jesus meant when He asked the Father "take this cup from me".

    “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” Luke 22:42. As Jesus prays in the Garden of Gethsemane, his first request is for his father to “take this cup of suffering away from me” (22:42).

    I've heard many Christians use this verse to say "heal me is it be thy will".

    Jesus was God incarnate. He was sent to earth to be a lamb for slaughter. He wasn't scared to do what the Father sent him to do. He who never sinned in His life, was having to put the sins of every human being in the world on His shoulders, which must have been awful to say the least.

    He was dying for every single person who ever lived & would be born until the end of time.

    When Jesus was crucified & went into the depths of hell, there was a place called "paradise", where the souls of the ages waited for the Messiah to rescue them. Jesus preached to them & took them with Him to Heaven. 1st Peter 3:18-22.

    Genesis 15: 6. Abraham was saved on credit so to speak, because he had faith the Messiah would come.

    When Jesus was crucified & entered paradise, He made Himself know as the Messiah they had been waiting on.

    Genesis 26:4. King James Bible
    God To Abraham: And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

  2. Sponsored Links


  3. Likes jwil59 liked this post
  4. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbo
    Posts
    42,206
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    When Jesus said those words to The Father, it was the emotions of the earthly Man who said them, not The Godly Son IMO. It proved, he was part human....feeling what we would have, in His shoes.
    Friendly Neighborhood...Smyrnaman

  5. Sponsored Links


  6. Likes jwil59 liked this post
  7. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlanta Ga.
    Posts
    39,573
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smyrna View Post
    When Jesus said those words to The Father, it was the emotions of the earthly Man who said them, not The Godly Son IMO. It proved, he was part human....feeling what we would have, in His shoes.
    I can't really disagree with that, but I think it's the same thing. Regardless, He still had never sinned & that's why He said what He said..
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

  8. Sponsored Links


  9. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Tornado Alley
    Age
    47
    Posts
    15,630
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smyrna View Post
    When Jesus said those words to The Father, it was the emotions of the earthly Man who said them, not The Godly Son IMO. It proved, he was part human....feeling what we would have, in His shoes.
    I know it's just a weakness in our language and fallible minds, but to be accurate, (and orthodox) it would be more accurate to say Jesus was fully God and fully Man (human). He was not 50% God and 50% Man (or "part" human). One could say it was His human nature, which is only natural, to petition one's mom or dad (so to speak) for help. And surely God did send an angel to strengthen Him (verse 43 in the gospel of Luke's account).
    The great enemy of truth is not so much the lie (deliberate, contrived and dishonest) but the myth (persistent, persuasive and unrealistic).

  10. Sponsored Links


  11. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Tornado Alley
    Age
    47
    Posts
    15,630
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Just a suggestion to the OP (Mike aka "Duck") you might want to add a bit more to the OP or at least another post to finish your thought. How are you connecting 2 Corinthians 5:21 with Jesus' prayer in the garden of Gethsemane?

    On a side note, do you think Jesus' prayer was answered? Or, like so many times, does God answer prayer by saying "no!" or even "wait"? Part of Jesus' prayer was that His disciples would not fall into temptation. Temptation for what? Sorrow, guilt, despair? Because it seems that Jesus' will and prayer did not come to pass. His disciples (after His crucifixion) were scattered and most certainly did fall into despair and fear. Or perhaps, could the "temptation" be of unbelief? Who would want to believe in a dead "messiah"?
    The great enemy of truth is not so much the lie (deliberate, contrived and dishonest) but the myth (persistent, persuasive and unrealistic).

  12. Sponsored Links


  13. Likes jwil59 liked this post
  14. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbo
    Posts
    42,206
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I know it's just a weakness in our language and fallible minds, but to be accurate, (and orthodox) it would be more accurate to say Jesus was fully God and fully Man (human). He was not 50% God and 50% Man (or "part" human). One could say it was His human nature, which is only natural, to petition one's mom or dad (so to speak) for help. And surely God did send an angel to strengthen Him (verse 43 in the gospel of Luke's account).

    Thank you my Brother. I will remember that cuz you're right....I was thinking 50/50.
    Friendly Neighborhood...Smyrnaman

  15. Sponsored Links


  16. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbo
    Posts
    42,206
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Just a suggestion to the OP (Mike aka "Duck") you might want to add a bit more to the OP or at least another post to finish your thought. How are you connecting 2 Corinthians 5:21 with Jesus' prayer in the garden of Gethsemane?

    On a side note, do you think Jesus' prayer was answered? Or, like so many times, does God answer prayer by saying "no!" or even "wait"? Part of Jesus' prayer was that His disciples would not fall into temptation. Temptation for what? Sorrow, guilt, despair? Because it seems that Jesus' will and prayer did not come to pass. His disciples (after His crucifixion) were scattered and most certainly did fall into despair and fear. Or perhaps, could the "temptation" be of unbelief? Who would want to believe in a dead "messiah"?

    Jesus asked in the same prayer that God's Will be done and not His....therefore IMO his prayer was answered and He died on the cross.
    Friendly Neighborhood...Smyrnaman

  17. Sponsored Links


  18. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Tornado Alley
    Age
    47
    Posts
    15,630
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smyrna View Post
    Jesus asked in the same prayer that God's Will be done and not His....therefore IMO his prayer was answered and He died on the cross.
    An interesting point that most people living today fail to understand is that in the first century (when the NT was written) people had no problem believing Jesus was God (or Divine). What many had trouble believing was that He was Human. Of course, while we read the gospels now, it's easy to see Him as all too human. But when the gospels were written, it was necessary to emphasize His humanity. . . . and I think the story about the garden of Gethsemane illustrates this quite vividly. The gnostics were notorious for emphasizing His spirituality and denying His humanity (to the point of saying He only "appeared" as a man but that it was just an allusion.
    The great enemy of truth is not so much the lie (deliberate, contrived and dishonest) but the myth (persistent, persuasive and unrealistic).

  19. Sponsored Links


  20. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbo
    Posts
    42,206
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    An interesting point that most people living today fail to understand is that in the first century (when the NT was written) people had no problem believing Jesus was God (or Divine). What many had trouble believing was that He was Human. Of course, while we read the gospels now, it's easy to see Him as all too human. But when the gospels were written, it was necessary to emphasize His humanity. . . . and I think the story about the garden of Gethsemane illustrates this quite vividly. The gnostics were notorious for emphasizing His spirituality and denying His humanity (to the point of saying He only "appeared" as a man but that it was just an allusion.
    Thank you again.
    Friendly Neighborhood...Smyrnaman

  21. Sponsored Links


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •