Blog Entries

Default 2018 Winter Olympics: Russia out

The International Olympic Committee has banned Russia from the Olympics in South Korea this year due to doping violations, but is allowing individual Russian athletes to compete as neutrals if they haven't had a previous violation and can demonstrate that they are clean:

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/1...eongchang-ioc/

So any Russian athlete who competes and wins gold will hear the Olympic anthem, not Russia's. There's some speculation that in protest Putin will simply refuse to let any Russian to compete at the Games this February.

Anymore it feels like there simply needs to be a division of athletes in much the same way as in pro bodybuilding: one competition for athletes for whom anything goes performance enhancement-wise, and another for athletes who are rigorously, consistently, and impartially tested to ensure they are "natural." Of course some athletes would try to cheat in the "natty" league to score medals, but maybe it would cut down on some of the inconsistencies in enforcement if enhanced athletes had a division to compete in free of regulation.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato

2. Sponsored Links

Good decision, and I'll be surprised if Putin allows any Russian athletes to compete.

4. Sponsored Links

Russians playing in the AHL and ECHL as developmental players that make the national team (and a few NHL'ers who decide to go against the NHL's idea) will clear IIHF standards because they are drug tested by the US authorities.
    Ashamed to be an American.

6. Sponsored Links

Since Lindsay is washed up as a skier, I guess she's trying now to enter politics.
    She sure doesn't need to try to ski for me if she doesn't want to ski for our
    President!

8. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    The International Olympic Committee has banned Russia from the Olympics in South Korea this year due to doping violations, but is allowing individual Russian athletes to compete as neutrals if they haven't had a previous violation and can demonstrate that they are clean:

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/1...eongchang-ioc/

So any Russian athlete who competes and wins gold will hear the Olympic anthem, not Russia's. There's some speculation that in protest Putin will simply refuse to let any Russian to compete at the Games this February.

Anymore it feels like there simply needs to be a division of athletes in much the same way as in pro bodybuilding: one competition for athletes for whom anything goes performance enhancement-wise, and another for athletes who are rigorously, consistently, and impartially tested to ensure they are "natural." Of course some athletes would try to cheat in the "natty" league to score medals, but maybe it would cut down on some of the inconsistencies in enforcement if enhanced athletes had a division to compete in free of regulation.
    Not going to work in these types of sports. The reason people cheat is to get a competitive advantage, otherwise what's the point? Bodybuilding is different in that the entire "Look" has a lot to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Hertzog View Post
    Since Lindsay is washed up as a skier, I guess she's trying now to enter politics.
    She sure doesn't need to try to ski for me if she doesn't want to ski for our
    President!
    She is entitled to say what she wants and go to the Whitehouse or not. But unfortunately for her if she skis for the United States, she's skiing for the President too, whether she likes it or not. Reminds me of when people say "He's not my President". Many said the same thing in regards to Obama. Sorry, if you live here you don't have that choice.

Lindsay can "not ski" for the President by choosing to not ski at all.

10. Sponsored Links