Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 127
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    64,018
    Rep Power
    26

    Default For God's sake...

    Can we please stop discussing science in the Religion Forum? We have threads on evolution (science) UFO and nukes (science) and continual demands for evidence (science).

    In every Biblical story someone waltzes in to talk about evidence and, therefore, science.

    Keep in mind, atheists are not the only ones who use the Bible as a science book, fundamentalists started everyone down this path.

    In each in every story, something spiritual is in play. The spiritual interacts with the physical already in place.

    As much as I would like the Religion Forum to thrive, science does not belong here. Can we please begin discussing the spiritual elements inherent in Bible stories?


    Psst! Koushi! If you say, "No, " be forewarned I'll respond with a hug! Ah, what the heck, why wait?

    (In case there are doubts, the OP title is meant very quietly, and very, very respectfully.)




  2. Sponsored Links


  3. Likes smyrna liked this post
  4. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    42,513
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    I'm delighted to hear all is going so well for you. Good jobs are such a blessing.
    So true. One of the happiest days of my life was turning in my notice at my last job. The miserable SOB co-worker got into a confrontation with me not realizing I held all the cards. Now I'm gone to a much more rewarding career and he's still back there stuck doing all the work.
    .

  5. Sponsored Links


  6. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    64,018
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    So true. One of the happiest days of my life was turning in my notice at my last job. The miserable SOB co-worker got into a confrontation with me not realizing I held all the cards. Now I'm gone to a much more rewarding career and he's still back there stuck doing all the work.
    It was about time you got out of the position that circumstances beyond your control landed you. You certainly deserve all the current perks that come with your current job.




  7. Sponsored Links


  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,994
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    Can we please stop discussing science in the Religion Forum? We have threads on evolution (science) UFO and nukes (science) and continual demands for evidence (science).

    In every Biblical story someone waltzes in to talk about evidence and, therefore, science.

    Keep in mind, atheists are not the only ones who use the Bible as a science book, fundamentalists started everyone down this path.

    In each in every story, something spiritual is in play. The spiritual interacts with the physical already in place.

    As much as I would like the Religion Forum to thrive, science does not belong here. Can we please begin discussing the spiritual elements inherent in Bible stories?


    Psst! Koushi! If you say, "No, " be forewarned I'll respond with a hug! Ah, what the heck, why wait?

    (In case there are doubts, the OP title is meant very quietly, and very, very respectfully.)

    I agree

    We used to be more like this in here but many of the ones who shared our desire for this have left.

  9. Sponsored Links


  10. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    64,018
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbut1 View Post
    I agree

    We used to be more like this in here but many of the ones who shared our desire for this have left.
    There is so much in each story it takes a group of us, with our different perspectives, to dissect and analyze all that is contained within.

    How have you been cbut1?




  11. Sponsored Links


  12. #20

    Default

    There DOES seem to be an obsession, among some, with iterating, reiterating, and re'reiterating, (and re-re-reiterating) that the traditional stories in the book of Genesis are contrary to science.

    That's a simple point every denomination is aware of. Most long ago proclaimed that belief in 7-day creation, the tower of Babel. 10,000 year old earth etc., are not requirements of their belief system.

    Yet it gets re-re-re-reiterated. In my face I guess. Man o man, they really proved me wrong. (eyeroll)

  13. Sponsored Links


  14. #21
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    19,402
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    There is a certain strain of evangelicalism that is desperate to employ science to "prove" Christianity, and it's to the detriment of the faith. Indeed, if there ever came a time when one could prove religion there wouldn't be much need for faith anymore.

    Science and spirituality don't have to be antagonistic, but it's a disservice to both expecting them to function properly in the bailiwick of the other.
    You're messin' with the wrong wolf, baby/Darkness gonna break your light - ​Dorothy, "Missile"

  15. Sponsored Links


  16. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    64,018
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    There is a certain strain of evangelicalism that is desperate to employ science to "prove" Christianity, and it's to the detriment of the faith. Indeed, if there ever came a time when one could prove religion there wouldn't be much need for faith anymore.

    Science and spirituality don't have to be antagonistic, but it's a disservice to both expecting them to function properly in the bailiwick of the other.
    Well said. I agree.




  17. Sponsored Links


  18. #23
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,994
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    There is so much in each story it takes a group of us, with our different perspectives, to dissect and analyze all that is contained within.

    How have you been cbut1?
    Physically very well.

    Emotionally and Spiritually my wife and I have been having a rough go of it for the past couple of months. Yesterday we had a Memorial service for her last grandparent. She is not good with rapid change and this is hitting her pretty solid. We just learned that a long time friend passed last night he has been fighting a self induced ailment (liver disease).

    Our oldest son has been failing to go to church with the family as he has been raised to do and this has been the hardest adjustment to make. Each Sunday with all of our kiddos in Church and the family often leading out in music with my oldest being the most diverse in his musical talents. We just are not the same without him. I do not mean regarding the music he has been the perfect child his whole life I have sung his praises on this forum numerous times. He is now trying to learn what path in life to take and we are trying to give him the room to do so and this is hard for us.

    So in short Normal life issues that can effect our Spiritual strength are all going on.


  19. Sponsored Links


  20. #24

    Default

    There's a difference between asking people to prove religious text via science, and asserting religious accounts that are both contradictory of one another and contradictory in the face of modern science. I mean, if people want to just admit the bible is a bunch of made up stories that goes against current scientific findings, then go for it. But ultimately, Christians dont. They pick and choose what to take literally - I mean, I suppose we shouldn't literally view Jesus as the son of God who rose from the dead right?

    Spirituality should not ignore science anymore than spirituality should ignore basic facts about reality. My spirituality doesn't revolve around what I emotionally wish the world to be.

  21. Sponsored Links


  22. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    There is a certain strain of evangelicalism that is desperate to employ science to "prove" Christianity, and it's to the detriment of the faith. Indeed, if there ever came a time when one could prove religion there wouldn't be much need for faith anymore.

    Science and spirituality don't have to be antagonistic, but it's a disservice to both expecting them to function properly in the bailiwick of the other.
    There should be an alignment. One should not contradict the other.

  23. Sponsored Links


  24. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,994
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    So true. One of the happiest days of my life was turning in my notice at my last job. The miserable SOB co-worker got into a confrontation with me not realizing I held all the cards. Now I'm gone to a much more rewarding career and he's still back there stuck doing all the work.
    Congradulations on the new work.

  25. Sponsored Links


  26. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    42,513
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    meh
    .

  27. Sponsored Links


  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    64,018
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cbut1 View Post
    Physically very well.

    Emotionally and Spiritually my wife and I have been having a rough go of it for the past couple of months. Yesterday we had a Memorial service for her last grandparent. She is not good with rapid change and this is hitting her pretty solid. We just learned that a long time friend passed last night he has been fighting a self induced ailment (liver disease).

    Our oldest son has been failing to go to church with the family as he has been raised to do and this has been the hardest adjustment to make. Each Sunday with all of our kiddos in Church and the family often leading out in music with my oldest being the most diverse in his musical talents. We just are not the same without him. I do not mean regarding the music he has been the perfect child his whole life I have sung his praises on this forum numerous times. He is now trying to learn what path in life to take and we are trying to give him the room to do so and this is hard for us.

    So in short Normal life issues that can effect our Spiritual strength are all going on.

    I am sorry to hear of all the loss in your life. Loss is always difficult to work through.

    My daughters are older than your children, but one in particular might offer insight. A couple of years ago, my youngest came to me and said, "Mom, I want what you have with God--and I can't see to get there. Would you be horribly upset if I looked at other ways to worship?" I told her if I didn't have to carve time out of my life to drag her out of a cult to go for it. She began with Quakers, the sometime over the past year, transitioned into studying Judaism (which I am able to help her with to a small extent).

    I think a lot of the time it behooves parents to get out of the way of both children and the Holy Spirit. In fact their journey may enrich our own.




  29. Sponsored Links


  30. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    64,018
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImRightYoureWrong View Post
    There's a difference between asking people to prove religious text via science, and asserting religious accounts that are both contradictory of one another and contradictory in the face of modern science. I mean, if people want to just admit the bible is a bunch of made up stories that goes against current scientific findings, then go for it. But ultimately, Christians dont. They pick and choose what to take literally - I mean, I suppose we shouldn't literally view Jesus as the son of God who rose from the dead right?

    Spirituality should not ignore science anymore than spirituality should ignore basic facts about reality. My spirituality doesn't revolve around what I emotionally wish the world to be.
    Who says spirituality should ignore science!!!??? Do you think that is what this thread is about?




  31. Sponsored Links


  32. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    Who says spirituality should ignore science!!!??? Do you think that is what this thread is about?
    You.

    As much as I would like the Religion Forum to thrive, science does not belong here. Can we please begin discussing the spiritual elements inherent in Bible stories?*
    Can we please stop discussing science in the Religion Forum?*
    In every Biblical story someone waltzes in to talk about evidence and, therefore, science.*
    You're all over the place. Sounds AGAIN like you just don't like hearing about other people who believe science should be an integral part of ones own philosophy and spirituality. And instead of taking part in those discussions or ignoring them, you'd rather argue with me about what I should or should not be discussing. I have just as much of a right to discuss religion philosophy and spirituality in the context of modern science as you have the right not to. I don't know why you are arguing here.

  33. Sponsored Links


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •