Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Toys for Tots: Good or Bad?

Having worked at tv stations at a local level for years, we would sponsor an annual Toys for Tots events. All over the city were drop off bins for anyone wishing to donate a toy. Then there would be a big party for people to bring their kids to receive a gift. I loved being part of this as I would love seeing the kids getting their presents.

I just realized that kids back in the 1990s are adults now. I also notice how this younger generation is now expecting everything to be given to them. I see them working at McDonald's and demanding $15/hour instead of deciding to better themselves for a job that pays better. I almost feel like those Toys for Tots parties could be doing more harm than good. Sort of like the participation trophies seemed like a good idea at first. What do you think? Did we create this mentality that people just expect everything to be given to them?

2. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thomasereese View Post
    Having worked at tv stations at a local level for years, we would sponsor an annual Toys for Tots events. All over the city were drop off bins for anyone wishing to donate a toy. Then there would be a big party for people to bring their kids to receive a gift. I loved being part of this as I would love seeing the kids getting their presents.

I just realized that kids back in the 1990s are adults now. I also notice how this younger generation is now expecting everything to be given to them. I see them working at McDonald's and demanding $15/hour instead of deciding to better themselves for a job that pays better. I almost feel like those Toys for Tots parties could be doing more harm than good. Sort of like the participation trophies seemed like a good idea at first. What do you think? Did we create this mentality that people just expect everything to be given to them?
    Good grief. Conservative paranoia gone wild. It's Christmas. Stick with the spirit of the holiday and don't try and overthink it.

#MAGA = Many Are Getting Arrested.
    "Don't give this man the nuclear codes." -- Tony Schwartz, co-author "The Art of the Deal."

4. Sponsored Links

For the most part, I think it is a good thing too. I am just concerned with the growing number of people who think they are entitled to everything, and wondering where it stemmed from.
    That's a good topic for discussion, but I don't think tying it to Toys for Tots is the appropriate way to get to the answer. That said, I didn't realize that the gifts from Toys for Tots were distributed by families coming to a location and getting, for lack of a better word, "handouts." Through my employer, I sponsor at least one child every year, and the wrapped gifts go to the parents to be put under the tree, so the child has something from Santa Claus. Personally, I think this is a better way of doing it.

But I still don't think that these charitable programs are making children grow up to be entitled jerks. You have to remember that Toys for Tots only happens in December; these kids know they're poor the other eleven months of the year.
    "The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6. Sponsored Links

This thread reminds me of some lol posts from my days on child free forums. These were generally people who didn't have or want any kids. I was undecided at the time.

It got pretty laugh out loud funny this time of year with the rants. "Argh, I can't take another heartfelt plea of 'Won't you please give us another used sweater or stale candy cane?" They do churn out the pleas on the radio in particular.

But the one that probably summarizes some of the thoughts on this thread, mine included, is this one: "I understand using Toys for Tots one time, like if you lost your job or something, but using them every year to get Christmas presents for the kids?! **** that ****!"

8. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    plenty of people fall on hard times after children are born. What’s this amount you should have in the bank before you have kids?
    You should have a job and earn enough so that you are not on 'assistance.' If you need to apply for food stamps, etc., *before* you have kids, you cannot afford to have children.

If you are in high school, you cannot afford to have kids.

Get an education, get a good job, fall in love and get married - (those can occur in any order) - and once you're financially secure, have kids.

If you then fall on hard times, like your boss drives his company into the ground and you're out of a good job through no fault of your own, there's nothing to be embarrassed about in having to accept assistance until you get back on your feet.
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."

10. Sponsored Links

11. Likes Sponge Bob, WildRose liked this post

Toys for Tots is a worthy campaign for those who can't afford to buy presents for their children. It's no different than well-to-do parents giving gifts to their kids. Children aren't responsible for their lot in life, so it's nice to donate gifts to the less fortunate. I have been personally involved in several campaigns in the past, and the joy you see on the faces of these less fortunate parents and kids is priceless.
    Last edited by Kegler300; December 8th, 2017 at 10:12 pm.
    <a href=http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608031553965526461&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0 target=_blank>http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608...d=1.9&rs=0&p=0</a>

13. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

No more than every other kid getting gifts for Christmas, graduation, birthdays etc.

It's all the other freebies so many tens of millions get living off of the gov't teat that are the problem.
    Don't Blame Me I voted for Cruz! Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless
    THE DEFICIT

15. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McAlpine View Post
    You should have a job and earn enough so that you are not on 'assistance.' If you need to apply for food stamps, etc., *before* you have kids, you cannot afford to have children.

If you are in high school, you cannot afford to have kids.

Get an education, get a good job, fall in love and get married - (those can occur in any order) - and once you're financially secure, have kids.

If you then fall on hard times, like your boss drives his company into the ground and you're out of a good job through no fault of your own, there's nothing to be embarrassed about in having to accept assistance until you get back on your feet.
    Well said.
    Don't Blame Me I voted for Cruz! Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless
    THE DEFICIT

17. Sponsored Links