Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    Default Toys for Tots: Good or Bad?

    Having worked at tv stations at a local level for years, we would sponsor an annual Toys for Tots events. All over the city were drop off bins for anyone wishing to donate a toy. Then there would be a big party for people to bring their kids to receive a gift. I loved being part of this as I would love seeing the kids getting their presents.

    I just realized that kids back in the 1990s are adults now. I also notice how this younger generation is now expecting everything to be given to them. I see them working at McDonald's and demanding $15/hour instead of deciding to better themselves for a job that pays better. I almost feel like those Toys for Tots parties could be doing more harm than good. Sort of like the participation trophies seemed like a good idea at first. What do you think? Did we create this mentality that people just expect everything to be given to them?

  2. Sponsored Links


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,054
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasereese View Post
    Having worked at tv stations at a local level for years, we would sponsor an annual Toys for Tots events. All over the city were drop off bins for anyone wishing to donate a toy. Then there would be a big party for people to bring their kids to receive a gift. I loved being part of this as I would love seeing the kids getting their presents.

    I just realized that kids back in the 1990s are adults now. I also notice how this younger generation is now expecting everything to be given to them. I see them working at McDonald's and demanding $15/hour instead of deciding to better themselves for a job that pays better. I almost feel like those Toys for Tots parties could be doing more harm than good. Sort of like the participation trophies seemed like a good idea at first. What do you think? Did we create this mentality that people just expect everything to be given to them?
    It's called charity. If you don't want to do it, don't. Charity does not destroy people.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis


  4. Sponsored Links


  5. Likes madasheck liked this post
  6. #3
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    19,262
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Only if you likewise think giving any children toys for Christmas is detrimental by instilling a sense of entitlement in them every December.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato

  7. Sponsored Links


  8. Likes perdidochas liked this post
  9. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cheyenne
    Posts
    3,983
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    It's called charity. If you don't want to do it, don't. Charity does not destroy people.
    You seem to miss the OP's point.

    Should people who can't afford to have children, have children? They don't have to worry about it, do they, as they know if they can't afford anything, the government - or charity - will step in and provide.

    On a related note...I knew an eldely woman, now deceased, who would pay her rent with her social security check, then spend the rest of her money playing bingo - where she would invariably lose it all.

    Since she had no more money she'd go to various food banks to get her food for the week. Maybe if she hadn't been able to get free food, she wouldn't have thrown away all her money on bingo - every single month.
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."

  10. Sponsored Links


  11. Likes Sponge Bob liked this post
  12. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,054
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex McAlpine View Post
    You seem to miss the OP's point.

    Should people who can't afford to have children, have children? They don't have to worry about it, do they, as they know if they can't afford anything, the government - or charity - will step in and provide.

    On a related note...I knew an eldely woman, now deceased, who would pay her rent with her social security check, then spend the rest of her money playing bingo - where she would invariably lose it all.

    Since she had no more money she'd go to various food banks to get her food for the week. Maybe if she hadn't been able to get free food, she wouldn't have thrown away all her money on bingo - every single month.
    And you missed my point, which is that charity does not cause the above. While I know that to some degree that a child not having any Christmas toys is a parental problem, I'd rather the kids not suffer from having bad parents. I don't feel that this perpetuates the cycle any. The poverty cycle is much more complex than that.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis


  13. Sponsored Links


  14. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spud Country
    Posts
    78,854
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    When I was a Republican every Christmas I would put boxes in the Toys for Tots collection bins, of bootstraps, with the instructions "Pull Up" attached to them.

    Kids need to learn early there ain't no free lunch and there ain't no Santa Claus.
    Tis the Season ... Luke 2:7-14

  15. Sponsored Links


  16. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spud Country
    Posts
    78,854
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasereese View Post
    Having worked at tv stations at a local level for years, we would sponsor an annual Toys for Tots events. All over the city were drop off bins for anyone wishing to donate a toy. Then there would be a big party for people to bring their kids to receive a gift. I loved being part of this as I would love seeing the kids getting their presents.

    I just realized that kids back in the 1990s are adults now. I also notice how this younger generation is now expecting everything to be given to them. I see them working at McDonald's and demanding $15/hour instead of deciding to better themselves for a job that pays better. I almost feel like those Toys for Tots parties could be doing more harm than good. Sort of like the participation trophies seemed like a good idea at first. What do you think? Did we create this mentality that people just expect everything to be given to them?
    Sorry. Seriously, I don't see a toy donation to a child at Christmas as the cause for a generation of slackers. It takes for more than that.

    Is the program a good or a bad thing?

    I never really gave it much thought.

    Maybe someone could do their doctoral on the up/down sides?

    Personally, without any more evidence than I have, I think it is a good thing.
    Tis the Season ... Luke 2:7-14

  17. Sponsored Links


  18. #8
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Arrakis
    Posts
    19,262
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LouC View Post
    When I was a Republican every Christmas I would put boxes in the Toys for Tots collection bins, of bootstraps, with the instructions "Pull Up" attached to them.

    Kids need to learn early there ain't no free lunch and there ain't no Santa Claus.
    I stopped giving my daughter presents for Christmas as soon as she was able to understand the value of hard work and sacrifice (around age 2). After that we instilled in her the idea that holiday traditions like presents and trick-or-treating were a communist construct designed to weaken by acclimating her to the concept of dependency on others for her wants and needs. She now marks the 12 days of Christmas with labors that increase in their difficulty each day, culminating in a hostile takeover of a randomly selected local business. This year, her 20th, she is working on a proposal to privatize local prisons, orphanages, and workhouses that, if implemented, should yield her a 20% rate of return on investment. We're very proud.

    Not that the holidays are all work in my family. Every Christmas Eve we sit around the Capitalist Tree with a mug of hot chocolate produced from undocumented workers and read our favorite passages from Ayn Rand novels (that is, when we aren't discussing how weak-kneed liberal socialist feminist Nazis managed to smear, slander, and besmirch Ebenezer Scrooge and the Grinch, heroes who understood the True Meaning of Christmas).
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato

  19. Sponsored Links


  20. Likes bodecea liked this post
  21. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    It's called charity. If you don't want to do it, don't. Charity does not destroy people.
    I give to charity. It is not the "giving" that I am concerned about. It is the annual conditioning that many are growing accustomed to that is becoming more of a problem. Everybody seems to think the government owes them, and then get mad when they don't get what they think they deserve.

  22. Sponsored Links


  23. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LouC View Post
    Sorry. Seriously, I don't see a toy donation to a child at Christmas as the cause for a generation of slackers. It takes for more than that.

    Is the program a good or a bad thing?

    I never really gave it much thought.

    Maybe someone could do their doctoral on the up/down sides?

    Personally, without any more evidence than I have, I think it is a good thing.
    For the most part, I think it is a good thing too. I am just concerned with the growing number of people who think they are entitled to everything, and wondering where it stemmed from.

  24. Sponsored Links


  25. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,904
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex McAlpine View Post
    You seem to miss the OP's point.

    Should people who can't afford to have children, have children? They don't have to worry about it, do they, as they know if they can't afford anything, the government - or charity - will step in and provide.

    On a related note...I knew an eldely woman, now deceased, who would pay her rent with her social security check, then spend the rest of her money playing bingo - where she would invariably lose it all.

    Since she had no more money she'd go to various food banks to get her food for the week. Maybe if she hadn't been able to get free food, she wouldn't have thrown away all her money on bingo - every single month.
    plenty of people fall on hard times after children are born. What’s this amount you should have in the bank before you have kids?

    Funny how every time we have a thread like this someone just happens to have a story which illustrates why helping people is a bad thing.

    I have worked directly with some of the poorest in my community and rarely did I come across someone that had the mentality of gimme gimme gimme. The vast majority were trying their best to change their circumstances and genuinely embarrassed they had to rely on benefits.

  26. Sponsored Links


  27. Likes Flyers Girl liked this post
  28. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brown University
    Age
    49
    Posts
    19,954
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    plenty of people fall on hard times after children are born. What’s this amount you should have in the bank before you have kids?

    Funny how every time we have a thread like this someone just happens to have a story which illustrates why helping people is a bad thing.

    I have worked directly with some of the poorest in my community and rarely did I come across someone that had the mentality of gimme gimme gimme. The vast majority were trying their best to change their circumstances and genuinely embarrassed they had to rely on benefits.
    Some are embarrassed to rely on benefits. Fathers die. Jobs are lost. Things happen in life that aren’t expected.

    But there are those who get that free food mentioned by Alex for multiple children, one after another. Folks exist who put aside paltry sums for retirement, then wonder why the money isn’t there.

    I’d say there’s a bit of both people made poor by hard luck & others through either poor planning or inability to prioritize.

  29. Sponsored Links


  30. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brown University
    Age
    49
    Posts
    19,954
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I think the Original Poster has some valid points. It sounds as if he worked these events in the ‘90’s.

    These kids would now be in the 20-30 something age group. And while some in this age group are taking charge of their own lives, it does seem a lot expect to be handed things without having to work for or pay for them.

    You can now cover your “child” as a dependent until he or she is 26 on your health insurance. In at least one state, that’s 30. I know fully employed adult children—one’s an engineer—taking full advantage.

    Others expect the taxpayers to take care of them. They’re offered group benefits, & not looking for coverage for a child or even stuck with a catastrophic health problem.

    Participation trophies were ridiculous from the get go. Things happen from time to time where a parent may not be able to buy a small gift at Christmas time, so I don’t mind donating a toy from time to time.

    I wonder, though, if the same families take advantage every year? In any case, I think the current hand out mentality is a bit more complex than Toys for Tots—particularly if someone only got a toy for a child once from that charity.

  31. Sponsored Links


  32. #14

    Default

    So we are not ruining society by teaching kids that a fat man on a sleigh pulled by reindeer delivers free presents to kids every December, but it is ruining society when a charity gives them a gift for free?

  33. Sponsored Links


  34. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,272
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasereese View Post
    Having worked at tv stations at a local level for years, we would sponsor an annual Toys for Tots events. All over the city were drop off bins for anyone wishing to donate a toy. Then there would be a big party for people to bring their kids to receive a gift. I loved being part of this as I would love seeing the kids getting their presents.

    I just realized that kids back in the 1990s are adults now. I also notice how this younger generation is now expecting everything to be given to them. I see them working at McDonald's and demanding $15/hour instead of deciding to better themselves for a job that pays better. I almost feel like those Toys for Tots parties could be doing more harm than good. Sort of like the participation trophies seemed like a good idea at first. What do you think? Did we create this mentality that people just expect everything to be given to them?
    I do not think this contributes to anything negative or a cause for alarm. When kids are really young we try to shelter them from harsh realities, and they sometimes expect their parents to treat them to things they like. As they get older they naturally acclimate themselves to the real world. I highly doubt doting over your 6 year old causes them to insist on 15 dollars an hour at McDonalds.

  35. Sponsored Links


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •