; Are We Christians Changing About How We Treat Others? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Are We Christians Changing About How We Treat Others?

I feel that many of us, Christians are changing about how we treat other Christians & others these days, as we follow politics & real life.

I remember debating with a fellow Christian one nite. I said "my wife has been on her death bed for a month, I just brought her home a few ago & got her to bed to sleep". "She came out of all of it, but will have to have therapy to learn to talk & walk again".

This poster, after I said "I just put her to bed to sleep" said "well, why aren't you in there with her instead of being on here"?

I know I've changed in some ways. I no longer feel like helping others the way I once did. When I got saved years ago, I tried to help everyone I met.

In the 90's both of us were making good money with good jobs & high credit ratings. We decided to sell our home of 30 years & buy new one.

We picked out a home we liked in a new sub & started the process. Our daughter said that she wanted buy our home that she was born in.

We sold it to her & moved into our new one. I suppose every parent helps their kids, so it's really no big deal about our selling our home to our daughter cheap.

After our daughter closed out, she came to me & said "daddy, you sold us the house $30000 under what it was worth". I said "Baby I know that, your sister has a home of her own, so we wanted you to have one you can afford too".

That really isn't what I'm getting at, nor is it bragging. When we received the money from the sell, I met both my daughters at the bank & gave them $5000 each, just for the fun of it. Again, not bragging.

We lived in our new home for six months, then decided we wanted to build the same home in another sub next to my wife's parents. One nite as I sat down after getting home from work, the banker who loaned us the money for the home called.

She said "can I speak to your wife". I said "she's at work". My wife did all the planning & buying of the house, so she wanted to talk to her.

I said "I'll talk with you". She said "OK, I'd like to buy your house for my younger daughter". She further said "my oldest daughter just bought a home down the street from you, now my youngest want's to have one also".

I said OK, it's yours free". I hoped that she didn't have false teeth when I told her that! Anyway, I had more paint, so I went thru every room, filled in the picture holes, then painted over every scratch. The carpet & everything was perfect as any new home should be.

My wife's father said as he sold his home, that he wanted to live debt free in his new home the rest of their lives, especially if he died first.

So my wife asked can we make up the difference in what my parents' money they got from the sale of their home & make them debt free, with a paid for home? I said "of course". We put $85000 cash in for them, as well as buying them new furniture.

That was 16 years ago that they have lived debt free. Tho her father passed away 3 three years ago & her mother is 87.

I really don't know if this makes sense, I hope so.
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

2. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Not a problem. People can believe what I post or not.
    My surprise was that it was The Duck who was doing the scoffing. He posts stuff like that all the time, but doesn't believe it when someone else posts similar things - although much more believable ones?

And it illustrates a pet peeve of mine. His original response - "You're a great guy" - which you took to be serious at the time, so did I. Then it turns out he was "being sarcastic."

I hate the type of post responses which are ambiguous. If you don't believe someone's story make it clear that you don't. Sarcasm is unChristian! And unhelpful.
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McAlpine View Post
    My surprise was that it was The Duck who was doing the scoffing. He posts stuff like that all the time, but doesn't believe it when someone else posts similar things - although much more believable ones?

And it illustrates a pet peeve of mine. His original response - "You're a great guy" - which you took to be serious at the time, so did I. Then it turns out he was "being sarcastic."

I hate the type of post responses which are ambiguous. If you don't believe someone's story make it clear that you don't. Sarcasm is unChristian! And unhelpful.
    Duck is full of wild tales and sob stories. The account content has been like that for years.
    "you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

6. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

A born again Christian (and that one in particular) acting in an un-Christian manner toward a fellow Christian? I'm so shocked.

(BTW, that was sarcasm. )

8. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    A born again Christian (and that one in particular) acting in an un-Christian manner toward a fellow Christian? I'm so shocked.

(BTW, that was sarcasm. )
    That I could tell.

10. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    You are reading too much into a dot on a page. I think there is a better than even chance the quoted post will be deleted when the poster realizes how much of his ass he has shown. Now that content will remain regardless of what he decides to do.
    You are probably correct. I DID take the period to imply agreement (you with Duck) anything beyond that was my imagination. 😌

12. Sponsored Links

Really? I'm a totally honest man that says what I mean & mean what I say. I don't allow anyone to kick me & not kick them back. Of all the sins anyone could do against another, I believe lying is at the top. A man that will lie to you, will also bed your wife if he gets a chance.

When I first started getting sick, I loved being on the forums, but it became more & more difficult to make total sense at times. The first thing I did was to ask the people that I was posting to to give me a little slack because I was getting sick & couldn't sometimes get it together.
    As time went on, I got better & better. Better to where I could function pretty well.

Then posters would bring up that I was saying that I was sick & couldn't help it when I didn't do too well. One said "everytime you can't back up what you say & you're called out on it, you bring out the sick card". People get so wrapped up with their idiosyncrasies, that they become "compassionless", especially when it comes to politics & oft times religion.

I raised my kids under two main rules when they were coming up (BTW, my wife & kids love & adore me like others would just dream of).
    The two rules are always be truthful & never put your business on the street.

As I posted more & more here I broke rule # 2. I told posters to give me some slack if I posted stupid things. That cost me here.

My oldest daughter the other nite was talking about the gossipers at her job. She said "daddy, I've followed what you taught me". (She has a job as a para legal with a very large law firm with offices all around Atlanta).

My daughter said "people come up to me all the time wanting to talk about others, but I never do, now I'm getting further up the ladder". When someone is a gossiper & spreads garbage, it gets back their boss for sure.

When this daughter was two, we sitting at the table when her eyes rolled back into her head. She was diagnosed with "Tourettes Syndrome". That wasn't so bad, but then her kid & my other daughter's two kids were diagnosed with TS too.

As years have gone by, we've learned that all four of my offspring have serious neurological deficiencies. I've been in the VA Agent Orange Clinic for years suffering from brain damage, now it's the same with 4 of 5 of my offspring too. One has an IQ of 61, the other two have IQ's in the low 70's. All have been determined to be disable now.

My youngest grand daughter (13) has gotten so bad, that several days ago, she stood in front of her class & said "I want to kill myself". She was admitted that day to a mental institution, where she can only have visitors for one hour a day & she can call home for 10 minutes each day.

As far as Gaius' post I really thought he was making fun of me, which happens daily here. This is what made me think it. Wanna help some more? I have a friend, a devout Christian, who herself is mobility impaired and experienced in being a live-in aid for severly or terminally ill women. She is having a hard time finding a job.

Quote: Maybe you or someone in your circle of similarly-situated friends has need of her services. He can read that I live in Atlanta, but does his friend live here? How does he know I need help, so that I need someone to come & help me?

When I get tired of being made fun of & called a liar, I certainly use sarcasm at times toward them. However, I have NEVER told a story that has happened to me or my family that was a lie, period.

I'll never start making fun of anyone who is sick, in trouble or anything else. There's one poster here who is paralyzed. I don't ever hesitate to jump on anyone who starts harassing him.

Have you noticed, that only when another poster replied to me all of you came on like wolves attacking me? Maybe you should. I don't mind being hated, I just don't like being called a liar. Duck
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

14. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    When I get tired of being made fun of & called a liar, I certainly use sarcasm at times toward them. However, I have NEVER told a story that has happened to me or my family that was a lie, period.
    This is why so many of us were shocked when you insinuated Gaius is a liar. Like your own testimony, he, too, had a beautiful, inspiring testimony.

16. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Really? I'm a totally honest man that says what I mean & mean what I say. I don't allow anyone to kick me & not kick them back. Of all the sins anyone could do against another, I believe lying is at the top. A man that will lie to you, will also bed your wife if he gets a chance.

(snip)
    Not if she's ugly.

18. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

You know what, you're real funny!
    I do know that. Thank you.

20. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    This is why so many of us were shocked when you insinuated Gaius is a liar. Like your own testimony, he, too, had a beautiful, inspiring testimony.
    Well in that light have you EVER taken my side, One time? & said "he sounds sincere, or he doesn't deserve you people berating when he posts in all the years we've both been here? When my entire family are about to totally lose it, do you tell your buddy that his posts aren't funny about my remarks?

22. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Think what you want.

Amazing things do happen and I have seen them. Since I now live on society's poverty-stricken edge, when I see these amazing things the happen to and among people for whom the next step down is to a pretty hellacious place, the street, the park bench or worse.

And it remains true that for many people their first attempts at really truly doing God's work succeed in little more than draining their time and their bank accounts. Only later do we 'get it right.'

James CH1
    2 My brothers, consider it a great joy when trials of many kinds come upon you,
    3 for you well know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance, and
    4 perseverance must complete its work so that you will become fully developed, complete, not deficient in any way.

Christianity is not about,
    - go to church,
    - don't cheat at golf,
    - hold a bingo fundraiser for the Catholic school
    - and don't wear a condom.
    It's a real thing. You'll see it when you believe it.
    Wait a minute man................I'm not supposed to cheat at golf?
    “Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

24. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Really? I'm a totally honest man that says what I mean & mean what I say. I don't allow anyone to kick me & not kick them back.
    In the first place, Gaius did NOT kick you. He was totally sympathetic toward you. He pointed out to you that your story was just a wee bit disconnected but that is hardly a "kick!" And then he went on to show nothing but sympathy for your situation.

In the second place - isn't there something called "turning the other cheek?" If you're secure in your faith, these little kicks should be like water off a duck's back to you. You should speak more in sorrow than in anger.

Gaius' response:

It does make sense, it's just kind of disconnected parts.

As to the contents, I am sorry about you're wife's illness, (I'm guessing stroke), and I add that since, in your story, you had apparently been doting over her and gad put her to bed, having some of your own time ia perfectly healthy even spiritually and emotionally necessary.... for each of you.
    Sounds to me like he's totally sympathetic to you.

You said:

Of all the sins anyone could do against another, I believe lying is at the top.
    Lying is worse than beating you to a pulp?

However, I have NEVER told a story that has happened to me or my family that was a lie, period.
    It may not be a lie in that you are telling a deliberate untruth. That doesn''t mean that you aren't telling an untruth. Easy to misinterpret or misremember things if you're sick or if you're stressed out.

Have you noticed, that only when another poster replied to me all of you came on like wolves attacking me?
    We "attacked" you because you attacked this poor guy who was actually sympathetic toward you and sharing his own positive story. He was the only one who thought your post worth responding to and he did so in a positive way, and you dissed him.

I don't mind being hated.
    I don't think "hate" is the emotion in question.

I just don't like being called a liar. Duck
    As I'm sure other people don't.

But again, some people say things that they *believe* in all honesty to be factual, and true, when in actual fact they aren't.

That's why eye-witness testimony is unreliable. Most witnesses who saw the same events tell different stories - and each one swears on the Bible that they're telling the truth. And they believe it. But they're mis-remembering or misinterpreting what they saw - as you did with Gaius.
    Last edited by Alex McAlpine; December 6th, 2017 at 2:52 am.

26. Sponsored Links

In the first place, Gaius did NOT kick you. He was totally sympathetic toward you. He pointed out to you that your story was just a wee bit disconnected but that is hardly a "kick!" And then he went on to show nothing but sympathy for your situation.

In the second place - isn't there something called "turning the other cheek?" If you're secure in your faith, these little kicks should be like water off a duck's back to you. You should speak more in sorrow than in anger.

Gaius' response:

Sounds to me like he's totally sympathetic to you.

You said:

Lying is worse than beating you to a pulp?

It may not be a lie in that you are telling a deliberate untruth. That doesn''t mean that you aren't telling an untruth. Easy to misinterpret or misremember things if you're sick or if you're stressed out.

We "attacked" you because you attacked this poor guy who was actually sympathetic toward you and sharing his own positive story. He was the only one who thought your post worth responding to and he did so in a positive way, and you dissed him.

I don't think "hate" is the emotion in question.

As I'm sure other people don't.

But again, some people say things that they *believe* in all honesty to be factual, and true, when in actual fact they aren't.

That's why eye-witness testimony is unreliable. Most witnesses who saw the same events tell different stories - and each one swears on the Bible that they're telling the truth. And they believe it. But they're mis-remembering or misinterpreting what they saw - as you did with Gaius.
    I realize that I have cognitive impairment & at times I don't make myself clear, BUT nothing that I said after I said I was using sarcasm had ANYTHING to do with Gaius, nothing at all. I was speaking of how I'm called a liar daily here.

28. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Unless something has drastically changed personal attacks of any kind aren't allowed in this forum so it would probably be a great idea to stop.
    Don't Blame Me I voted for Cruz! Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless
    THE DEFICIT

30. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Unless something has drastically changed personal attacks of any kind aren't allowed in this forum so it would probably be a great idea to stop.
    The mods of late have been deleting & giving infractions of late. I'm glad, even tho I got a few. Attack the issue & not the poster is the only way the forums can be good for all.

However, if a poster insults another poster & that poster pastes it for a reply both get infractions or deletes.

32. Sponsored Links