Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Are We Christians Changing About How We Treat Others?

I feel that many of us, Christians are changing about how we treat other Christians & others these days, as we follow politics & real life.

I remember debating with a fellow Christian one nite. I said "my wife has been on her death bed for a month, I just brought her home a few ago & got her to bed to sleep". "She came out of all of it, but will have to have therapy to learn to talk & walk again".

This poster, after I said "I just put her to bed to sleep" said "well, why aren't you in there with her instead of being on here"?

I know I've changed in some ways. I no longer feel like helping others the way I once did. When I got saved years ago, I tried to help everyone I met.

In the 90's both of us were making good money with good jobs & high credit ratings. We decided to sell our home of 30 years & buy new one.

We picked out a home we liked in a new sub & started the process. Our daughter said that she wanted buy our home that she was born in.

We sold it to her & moved into our new one. I suppose every parent helps their kids, so it's really no big deal about our selling our home to our daughter cheap.

After our daughter closed out, she came to me & said "daddy, you sold us the house $30000 under what it was worth". I said "Baby I know that, your sister has a home of her own, so we wanted you to have one you can afford too".

That really isn't what I'm getting at, nor is it bragging. When we received the money from the sell, I met both my daughters at the bank & gave them $5000 each, just for the fun of it. Again, not bragging.

We lived in our new home for six months, then decided we wanted to build the same home in another sub next to my wife's parents. One nite as I sat down after getting home from work, the banker who loaned us the money for the home called.

She said "can I speak to your wife". I said "she's at work". My wife did all the planning & buying of the house, so she wanted to talk to her.

I said "I'll talk with you". She said "OK, I'd like to buy your house for my younger daughter". She further said "my oldest daughter just bought a home down the street from you, now my youngest want's to have one also".

I said OK, it's yours free". I hoped that she didn't have false teeth when I told her that! Anyway, I had more paint, so I went thru every room, filled in the picture holes, then painted over every scratch. The carpet & everything was perfect as any new home should be.

My wife's father said as he sold his home, that he wanted to live debt free in his new home the rest of their lives, especially if he died first.

So my wife asked can we make up the difference in what my parents' money they got from the sale of their home & make them debt free, with a paid for home? I said "of course". We put $85000 cash in for them, as well as buying them new furniture.

That was 16 years ago that they have lived debt free. Tho her father passed away 3 three years ago & her mother is 87.

I really don't know if this makes sense, I hope so.
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    Well in that light have you EVER taken my side, One time? & said "he sounds sincere, or he doesn't deserve you people berating when he posts in all the years we've both been here? When my entire family are about to totally lose it, do you tell your buddy that his posts aren't funny about my remarks?
    Are you asking if I step in to stir the pot and keep the tempest brewing? Not any longer. Remember, I, too have been here for a long time and have heard these stories before. I know how the scenario plays out. After so many times of watching it, it is my opinion it is best to step away. I am aware of your health issues, so it never disturbed me when you viciously responded to a kind post from me and put me on ignore. I understood that you misunderstood my intent, and attached no blame. You are who you are, and I am accepting of that. You and your family are in my prayers.

4. Sponsored Links

There seem to be some long-running issues on the boards and they seem to have come to the surface here. shrug oh well.

As to the original topic, I think it is perfectly normal that a person's corporal acts of mercy change from time to time. They become larger or smaller as circumstances warrant and our 'last' one, our most recent one, may or may not be numerically, the largest.

- Mother Theresa began with orphanages, evolved into a medicine/healthcare operation and evolved again into nursing homes and hospice care.

- The Thessalonians began with 'free food and free stuff for everyone, just take all you want from the communal storehouse,' and, when THAT didn't work out, even among Christians, changed back to using the family as tge central economic unit.

- I did not mention it, but the original Plymouth Pilgrims tried the same method. It failed for them too, even among seriously devout seriously pious Christians.)

- I once took in a hardcase coworker who was a homeless vet. It didn't work out. Later, when my life changed my methods if giving did too.

Apparently Duck and his wife once gave sweetheart real estate deals to family members (and, oddly, to the loan officer at the local bank), but no longer do so.

My point is, there are any number of reasons a persons corporal charity might change. Moreover these BIG acts of charity are *probably* more common than people *probably* think.

It is easy to think that Christians engage only in mundane small-scale giving, a dollar in the church basket, lend $2,000 to your nephew for a car, conduct the choir and hold a bake sale stuff, but I believe a lot more that goes on. It's just hard to see, especially when you're looking for it. I do not at all believe Christian giving peaked or faded 16 years ago.

6. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Unless something has drastically changed personal attacks of any kind aren't allowed in this forum so it would probably be a great idea to stop.
    By "this forum" are you talking of the Religious folder specifically? I don't think personal attacks - and they occur in practically every post - have resulted in anyone booted from the Politics forum since the relaxed rules were put in place.
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."

8. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McAlpine View Post
    (snip)
    should be like water off a duck's back to you.

(snip)
    This pun made me laugh.

10. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    This pun made me laugh.
    I thought it was rather clever.

12. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McAlpine View Post
    By "this forum" are you talking of the Religious folder specifically? I don't think personal attacks - and they occur in practically every post - have resulted in anyone booted from the Politics forum since the relaxed rules were put in place.
    Well, you're totally wrong. Many posts have been deleted, infractions & time out also. Mostly in the politics forum. Sometimes it seems funny to attack a poster instead of debating & attacking the issue, but no more. I can't believe you haven't seen this.
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

14. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Unless something has drastically changed personal attacks of any kind aren't allowed in this forum so it would probably be a great idea to stop.
    Trump supporters have space bugs in their heads. It is the only explanation.

16. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Really? I'm a totally honest man that says what I mean & mean what I say. I don't allow anyone to kick me & not kick them back. Of all the sins anyone could do against another, I believe lying is at the top. A man that will lie to you, will also bed your wife if he gets a chance.

When I first started getting sick, I loved being on the forums, but it became more & more difficult to make total sense at times. The first thing I did was to ask the people that I was posting to to give me a little slack because I was getting sick & couldn't sometimes get it together.
    As time went on, I got better & better. Better to where I could function pretty well.

Then posters would bring up that I was saying that I was sick & couldn't help it when I didn't do too well. One said "everytime you can't back up what you say & you're called out on it, you bring out the sick card". People get so wrapped up with their idiosyncrasies, that they become "compassionless", especially when it comes to politics & oft times religion.

I raised my kids under two main rules when they were coming up (BTW, my wife & kids love & adore me like others would just dream of).
    The two rules are always be truthful & never put your business on the street.

As I posted more & more here I broke rule # 2. I told posters to give me some slack if I posted stupid things. That cost me here.

My oldest daughter the other nite was talking about the gossipers at her job. She said "daddy, I've followed what you taught me". (She has a job as a para legal with a very large law firm with offices all around Atlanta).

My daughter said "people come up to me all the time wanting to talk about others, but I never do, now I'm getting further up the ladder". When someone is a gossiper & spreads garbage, it gets back their boss for sure.

When this daughter was two, we sitting at the table when her eyes rolled back into her head. She was diagnosed with "Tourettes Syndrome". That wasn't so bad, but then her kid & my other daughter's two kids were diagnosed with TS too.

As years have gone by, we've learned that all four of my offspring have serious neurological deficiencies. I've been in the VA Agent Orange Clinic for years suffering from brain damage, now it's the same with 4 of 5 of my offspring too. One has an IQ of 61, the other two have IQ's in the low 70's. All have been determined to be disable now.

My youngest grand daughter (13) has gotten so bad, that several days ago, she stood in front of her class & said "I want to kill myself". She was admitted that day to a mental institution, where she can only have visitors for one hour a day & she can call home for 10 minutes each day.

As far as Gaius' post I really thought he was making fun of me, which happens daily here. This is what made me think it. Wanna help some more? I have a friend, a devout Christian, who herself is mobility impaired and experienced in being a live-in aid for severly or terminally ill women. She is having a hard time finding a job.

Quote: Maybe you or someone in your circle of similarly-situated friends has need of her services. He can read that I live in Atlanta, but does his friend live here? How does he know I need help, so that I need someone to come & help me?

When I get tired of being made fun of & called a liar, I certainly use sarcasm at times toward them. However, I have NEVER told a story that has happened to me or my family that was a lie, period.

I'll never start making fun of anyone who is sick, in trouble or anything else. There's one poster here who is paralyzed. I don't ever hesitate to jump on anyone who starts harassing him.

Have you noticed, that only when another poster replied to me all of you came on like wolves attacking me? Maybe you should. I don't mind being hated, I just don't like being called a liar. Duck
    Can you point to the Bible verse that reads “When someone kicks you, kick back”?

I’m not aware of such a verse.
    • The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • Wisdom is knowing how little we know.
    • The arguments stay the same...only the sides making those arguments change.

18. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    Can you point to the Bible verse that reads “When someone kicks you, kick back”?

Writing on a tombstone: "Here Lies Meek Who Turned The Other Cheek".

20. Sponsored Links

Joking aside. I wasn't speaking of physically kicking.

22. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I didn’t ask what was written on some tombstone (yes, I know it wasn’t a real tombstone).

I asked where in the Bible it said “If someone kicks you, kick back” (yes- I know it’s not literal kicking).

I ask because I find it ironic that in a thread where you ask if Christians are changing, you respond with belligerence to a perceived attack.
    • The unexamined life is not worth living.
    • Wisdom is knowing how little we know.
    • The arguments stay the same...only the sides making those arguments change.

24. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Was that written on Jesus's tombstone? Because he taught about turning the other cheek.

26. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    Was that written on Jesus's tombstone? Because he taught about turning the other cheek.
    I don't know. You tell me.

28. Sponsored Links

I didn’t ask what was written on some tombstone (yes, I know it wasn’t a real tombstone).

I asked where in the Bible it said “If someone kicks you, kick back” (yes- I know it’s not literal kicking).

I ask because I find it ironic that in a thread where you ask if Christians are changing, you respond with belligerence to a perceived attack.
    Is that you pop, you said I didn't have to do what you say when I reached 21? LOL!

30. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I don't know. You tell me.
    How can you not know? You're a Christian, aren't you?

32. Sponsored Links