Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default "I don't deserve ...."

In Greek mythology there's a thing called hubris. People with skills who claim these gifts for their own - instead of something bestowed upon them by a (mythological) god or goddess, always get it in the neck. The moral of the story being - give thanks to the god or goddess, and don't take credit for your own skill.

I'm reminded of that superstition every time I read a post by a Christian who says, "I have a lot of blessings, but I don't deserve them," or "God loves me, but I don't deserve his love."

Is it superstition that causes you (I use the universal you) to disclaim any merit in yourself for trying to follow God's laws, trying to do what's right, etc? Are you afraid that if you say "I've been blessed" without adding "but I don't deserve those blessings" that God will be angered and start decimating your family or something?

Further, if you're doing your best to "walk with God" - why don't you deserve God's love, anyway? He gives it unconditionally (except for the condition that if you don't love him, you go to hell) - so why don't you deserve it?
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by jwil59 View Post
    I see repentance as a lifestyle. Me personally, I am in a constant state of repentance. It is a lifelong process for me, so definitely not a "one and done" sort of thing in my walk with God.
    I "take my inventory" daily.

***Quote:****
    When we retire at night, we constructively review our day. Were we resentful, selfish, dishonest or afraid? Do we owe an apology? Have we kept something to ourselves which should
    be discussed with another person at once? Were we kind and loving toward all? What could we have done better? Were we thinking of ourselves most of the time? Or were we thinking of what
    we could do for others, of what we could pack into the stream of life? But we must be careful not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to
    others. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.

On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. . . . .

As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done."

We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions. . . .

It works - it really does."
    ***END QUOTE***

(From the AA big book page 86)

I live by that or I will quite literally die. What's worse is that I will harm those closest to me.

4. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I confessed and repented and He gave me another chance.

From here on out it's like the parable of the three servants and I am determined NOT to be servant #3. ��
    yes sir He is full of Grace and Mercy. I don't want to be that guy either my friend.

“Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

6. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I "take my inventory" daily.

***Quote:****
    When we retire at night, we constructively review our day. Were we resentful, selfish, dishonest or afraid? Do we owe an apology? Have we kept something to ourselves which should
    be discussed with another person at once? Were we kind and loving toward all? What could we have done better? Were we thinking of ourselves most of the time? Or were we thinking of what
    we could do for others, of what we could pack into the stream of life? But we must be careful not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to
    others. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.

On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. . . . .

As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done."

We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions. . . .

It works - it really does."
    ***END QUOTE***

(From the AA big book page 86)

I live by that or I will quite literally die. What's worse is that I will harm those closest to me.
    Those are words to live by for sure. I had never heard that, thanks for posting it.

We all harm others that are close to us my friend. We all have the recipe for correction though as you have posted here.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

8. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I don't know the passage you are referring to then. I googled it and the Romans passage came up so that is why i said what I did.

Then you need to go study your bible some more.

10. Sponsored Links

Those are words to live by for sure. I had never heard that, thanks for posting it.

We all harm others that are close to us my friend. We all have the recipe for correction though as you have posted here.
    When I was a child, I said the "Now I lay me" prayer nightly. That may work for some people, but I needed, still need stronger medicine. Now I "take my inventory" nightly.

12. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    Then you need to go study your bible some more.
    I agree, I could never get enough.

― Jimmy Buffett

14. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

When I was a child, I said the "Now I lay me" prayer nightly. That may work for some people, but I needed, still need stronger medicine. Now I "take my inventory" nightly.
    Good policy my friend. I go to bed thinking about what I have done today to bring God Glory, and what i can do tomorrow to improve and bring Him more glory. Often times i find myself wanting though, way to many times. I struggle with it, I really do.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

16. Sponsored Links

Good policy my friend. I go to bed thinking about what I have done today to bring God Glory, and what i can do tomorrow to improve and bring Him more glory. Often times i find myself wanting though, way to many times. I struggle with it, I really do.
    If it works for you the way it works for me, your nightly inventory is part of what makes you a good man Jeff.

I, for one, tried to 'free form it,' and failed. I tried to be a good person just by being good, and thought I was. I needed a formal routine for being good the way some people need an exercise program to be strong, or a diet plan to avoid becoming fat.

You know that 'The Bible' means 'The Way' right? Do you know what Taoists call their book? They also call it 'The Way,' only to them, 'way' means a road.

18. Sponsored Links

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Marcus Aurelius
    Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea.

20. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

If it works for you the way it works for me, your nightly inventory is part of what makes you a good man Jeff.

(snip)
    No one does good, not even one.

22. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mobulis View Post
    All the dead will be judged according to their deeds.

24. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mobulis View Post
    Thanks for motivating me to look up Marcus Aurelius. The last of the 5 good emperors it says. I apply that same logic to trusting Christ. Sounds like he is using human emotion to defined God though. The only truth about God is in the Scripture. In my view anyway friend.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

26. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I, for one, tried to 'free form it,' and failed. I tried to be a good person just by being good, and thought I was. I needed a formal routine for being good the way some people need an exercise program to be strong, or a diet plan to avoid becoming fat.

You know that 'The Bible' means 'The Way' right? Do you know what Taoists call their book? They also call it 'The Way,' only to them, 'way' means a road.
    We had a Taoist posting here some years ago but i think he got banned. I had some pretty good discussions with him on religion and abortion.

yes the daily inventory works for me. At least I think it does. Like i said though i still struggle most every day.

― Jimmy Buffett

28. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    No one does good, not even one.
    I think the scripture reads "None are righteous". To say that none do good would not be accurate in my view.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

30. Sponsored Links

Thanks for motivating me to look up Marcus Aurelius. The last of the 5 good emperors it says. I apply that same logic to trusting Christ. Sounds like he is using human emotion to defined God though. The only truth about God is in the Scripture. In my view anyway friend.
    Except that man wrote scripture.
    Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea.

32. Sponsored Links