; "I don't deserve ...." - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default "I don't deserve ...."

In Greek mythology there's a thing called hubris. People with skills who claim these gifts for their own - instead of something bestowed upon them by a (mythological) god or goddess, always get it in the neck. The moral of the story being - give thanks to the god or goddess, and don't take credit for your own skill.

I'm reminded of that superstition every time I read a post by a Christian who says, "I have a lot of blessings, but I don't deserve them," or "God loves me, but I don't deserve his love."

Is it superstition that causes you (I use the universal you) to disclaim any merit in yourself for trying to follow God's laws, trying to do what's right, etc? Are you afraid that if you say "I've been blessed" without adding "but I don't deserve those blessings" that God will be angered and start decimating your family or something?

Further, if you're doing your best to "walk with God" - why don't you deserve God's love, anyway? He gives it unconditionally (except for the condition that if you don't love him, you go to hell) - so why don't you deserve it?
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."

2. Sponsored Links

In my case, when I say 'I don't deserve it,' listeners have compared what I say to 'survivor's guilt.'

Others have (literally) died, while I am alive. I am not a better person than they were. I do not beleve I am being rewarded for good behavior nor they punished for bad.

Deut 8
    10When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you. 11Be careful that you do not forget the Lord your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. 12Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, 13and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, 14then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 15He led you through the vast and dreadful wilderness, that thirsty and waterless land, with its venomous snakes and scorpions. He brought you water out of hard rock. 16He gave you manna to eat in the wilderness, something your ancestors had never known, to humble and test you so that in the end it might go well with you. 17You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.”

4. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McAlpine View Post
    I looked up grace at Dictionary.com. Nothing "unmerited".

Try saying, "Thank you, God, I do my best to merit your grace." That's a more positive outlook and gives more credit to God for not bestowing "unconditional" love. Unconditional love is really an insult, frankly....
    Yeah Alex it might be all warm and fuzzy and politically correct but it is not theologically sound in my view. I believe the Bible teaches that none are worthy of Grace. All have sinned and fallen short. That brings us back to my original comment about how God views sin. No matter what I do, it would never be enough to earn favor in the eyes of God. Salvation cannot be earned with obedience or good works, it is only by God's Grace (Ephesians 2:8-9).
    “Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

6. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by jwil59 View Post
    Yeah Alex it might be all warm and fuzzy and politically correct but it is not theologically sound in my view. I believe the Bible teaches that none are worthy of Grace. All have sinned and fallen short. That brings us back to my original comment about how God views sin. No matter what I do, it would never be enough to earn favor in the eyes of God. Salvation cannot be earned with obedience or good works, it is only by God's Grace (Ephesians 2:8-9).
    Grace is something that cannot be earned. It's known as "unmerited favor". I picture God as being there when we sin. He says He will cast our sins as far as the east to the west, remembering them no more.

If a Christian sins, then confesses same, then comes to God & says "God remember when I sinned". God says "No, I don't remember". That IMO is why so many believers can sin & then still be in good graces with God.
    God looks down & sees only the "blood of Jesus & nothing else".

Christians blast the preachers who fail unmercifully, never realize that once they confess to God, they're clean as a newborn. Christians don't forgive, they want to destroy a preacher who falls, but God only wants him to confess & carry on.
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

8. Sponsored Links

Also, it's my own opinion, that there are two things that won't be welcome in heaven. They are, unconfessed sin & unforgiveness. Christians who become "self righteous" & believe that they're a better Christian than everyone else, will some day stand before God with their heads down.

Jesus talked a lot about things like, love your neighbor as yourself, do unto others as you would have them do unto you & forgiveness.
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

10. Sponsored Links

Luke 14

8“When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. 9If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, ‘Give this person your seat.’ Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place.

10But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests. 11For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

12. Sponsored Links

13. Likes jwil59 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    Grace is something that cannot be earned. It's known as "unmerited favor". I picture God as being there when we sin. He says He will cast our sins as far as the east to the west, remembering them no more.

If a Christian sins, then confesses same, then comes to God & says "God remember when I sinned". God says "No, I don't remember". That IMO is why so many believers can sin & then still be in good graces with God.
    God looks down & sees only the "blood of Jesus & nothing else".

Christians blast the preachers who fail unmercifully, never realize that once they confess to God, they're clean as a newborn. Christians don't forgive, they want to destroy a preacher who falls, but God only wants him to confess & carry on.
    If we confess and repent of our sins he is just and merciful and will forgive our sins. Without that belief there would be no Christianity.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

15. Sponsored Links

If we confess and repent of our sins he is just and merciful and will forgive our sins. Without that belief there would be no Christianity.
    Exactly! Remember the old song "when I see the blood I will pass I will pass over you"?

17. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

The Bible also teaches us that ALL mankind, the great and the small, will stand before God where ALL will be judged according to their works. And those who don't pass judgement will be cast into the lake of fire.

Where does that teaching from the bible fit into your theology?

19. Sponsored Links

I confessed and repented and He gave me another chance.

From here on out it's like the parable of the three servants and I am determined NOT to be servant #3. 😇

21. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I confessed and repented and He gave me another chance.

From here on out it's like the parable of the three servants and I am determined NOT to be servant #3. ��
    Confessing and repenting is more than a one time deal. Unless one never, ever sins again after repenting and confessing.

For example, if someone decides they want to no longer be an alcoholic, can they go to one AA meeting and then the next week, return to drinking and then not be an alcoholic?
    What if someone sticks with the program for 12 months, and then after they've gone through all 12 steps they go on a month long bender? Are they no longer an alcoholic since they've completed all 12 steps? Or have they backslidden back into their addiction and now have to start over, repent of drinking and get back with the program?

Repenting and confessing once is all well and good for the sins committed up to that point. Sins that follow that must also be repented of and confessed.

23. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
    Exactly! Remember the old song "when I see the blood I will pass I will pass over you"?
    That is a great old Hymn. Written by John Foote around 1890 or so.

― Jimmy Buffett

25. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    The Bible also teaches us that ALL mankind, the great and the small, will stand before God where ALL will be judged according to their works. And those who don't pass judgement will be cast into the lake of fire.

Where does that teaching from the bible fit into your theology?
    Are you referring to the Romans 2 passage? That passage refers to storing up riches in heaven and I have heard that taught as rewards in Heaven. That are other passages that refer to those rewards as well. Is that the passage you are referring to?

What I believe is that good works are the evidence of an inward transformation through Jesus Christ. Faith without works is dead so all true believers produce good works. If there is no evidence of change then it is likely there was never any change to begin with.

― Jimmy Buffett

27. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Confessing and repenting is more than a one time deal. Unless one never, ever sins again after repenting and confessing.

For example, if someone decides they want to no longer be an alcoholic, can they go to one AA meeting and then the next week, return to drinking and then not be an alcoholic?
    What if someone sticks with the program for 12 months, and then after they've gone through all 12 steps they go on a month long bender? Are they no longer an alcoholic since they've completed all 12 steps? Or have they backslidden back into their addiction and now have to start over, repent of drinking and get back with the program?

Repenting and confessing once is all well and good for the sins committed up to that point. Sins that follow that must also be repented of and confessed.
    I see repentance as a lifestyle. Me personally, I am in a constant state of repentance. It is a lifelong process for me, so definitely not a "one and done" sort of thing in my walk with God.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

29. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Are you referring to the Romans 2 passage?
    (snip)
    You don't know off hand?

No, Laughingboy. That's not the passage. Guess again.

31. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

You don't know off hand?

No, Laughingboy. That's not the passage. Guess again.
    I don't know the passage you are referring to then. I googled it and the Romans passage came up so that is why i said what I did.

― Jimmy Buffett

33. Sponsored Links