Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Default "I don't deserve ...."

In Greek mythology there's a thing called hubris. People with skills who claim these gifts for their own - instead of something bestowed upon them by a (mythological) god or goddess, always get it in the neck. The moral of the story being - give thanks to the god or goddess, and don't take credit for your own skill.

I'm reminded of that superstition every time I read a post by a Christian who says, "I have a lot of blessings, but I don't deserve them," or "God loves me, but I don't deserve his love."

Is it superstition that causes you (I use the universal you) to disclaim any merit in yourself for trying to follow God's laws, trying to do what's right, etc? Are you afraid that if you say "I've been blessed" without adding "but I don't deserve those blessings" that God will be angered and start decimating your family or something?

Further, if you're doing your best to "walk with God" - why don't you deserve God's love, anyway? He gives it unconditionally (except for the condition that if you don't love him, you go to hell) - so why don't you deserve it?
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."

2. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    a. Because I love the Gospel incident that is being discussed. It makes me smile.
    b. Because the context of the incident with Jesus should be noted.
    c. God loves us. People who are loved feel valued, not insignificant or dismissed as not good. We should see in ourselves what God sees in us--perhaps that image of Himself He used when we were created.
    I never said people were not valued. I am speaking to my condition before a righteous God. Of course God loves us, he sent Christ so we can be reconciled with Him. That is about the most loving thing that could have ever happened. The Scripture is plain, none are righteous, all have fallen short.

“Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by jwil59 View Post
    I never said people were not valued. I am speaking to my condition before a righteous God. Of course God loves us, he sent Christ so we can be reconciled with Him. That is about the most loving thing that could have ever happened. The Scripture is plain, none are righteous, all have fallen short.
    What does scripture say about God continually and constantly studying our short-comings?

6. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

What does scripture say about God continually and constantly studying our short-comings?
    I don't know really. I always strive to grow though. I don't know if he studies my shortcomings or not, I certainly do not sit around thinking about it. My goal is to grow each day a little if not a whole lot. For me that starts with knowing who I am and knowing who he is.

Did you have a passage in mind? As you know I love to discuss the Bible my friend
    ― Jimmy Buffett

8. Sponsored Links

I don't know really. I always strive to grow though. I don't know if he studies my shortcomings or not, I certainly do not sit around thinking about it. My goal is to grow each day a little if not a whole lot. For me that starts with knowing who I am and knowing who he is.

Did you have a passage in mind? As you know I love to discuss the Bible my friend
    Hebrews 8:12 reminds us of an early promise God made: "For I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sins no more."

10. Sponsored Links

Hebrews 8:12 reminds us of an early promise God made: "For I will forgive their evildoing and remember their sins no more."
    Did God literally make that promise? Or is that an allegorical story not to be taken literally?

12. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Yes, he is faithful for sure. Thanks for the reminder

― Jimmy Buffett

14. Sponsored Links

Yes, he is faithful for sure. Thanks for the reminder
    Is it a line from a song or a poem that asks, "Who are we that You love us so well?" I've always thought that makes a great reflection.

16. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Is it a line from a song or a poem that asks, "Who are we that You love us so well?" I've always thought that makes a great reflection.
    I gotta look that up meri. Sounds like something I would like. I don't think this is the one you had in mind but i did find a song b they David Crowder Band

And He is jealous for me,
    Love's like a hurricane, I am a tree,
    Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy.
    When all of a sudden
    I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory.
    And I realize just how beautiful You are,
    And how great Your affections are for me.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

18. Sponsored Links

I gotta look that up meri. Sounds like something I would like. I don't think this is the one you had in mind but i did find a song b they David Crowder Band

And He is jealous for me,
    Love's like a hurricane, I am a tree,
    Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy.
    When all of a sudden
    I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory.
    And I realize just how beautiful You are,
    And how great Your affections are for me.
    What a beautiful song. It wasn't the one I was thinking of, but then, my line may come from a poem. I simply don't remember the entire thing--but that one line has stuck with me.

20. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

What a beautiful song. It wasn't the one I was thinking of, but then, my line may come from a poem. I simply don't remember the entire thing--but that one line has stuck with me.
    I googled your poem and got that song.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

22. Sponsored Links