Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default "I don't deserve ...."

In Greek mythology there's a thing called hubris. People with skills who claim these gifts for their own - instead of something bestowed upon them by a (mythological) god or goddess, always get it in the neck. The moral of the story being - give thanks to the god or goddess, and don't take credit for your own skill.

I'm reminded of that superstition every time I read a post by a Christian who says, "I have a lot of blessings, but I don't deserve them," or "God loves me, but I don't deserve his love."

Is it superstition that causes you (I use the universal you) to disclaim any merit in yourself for trying to follow God's laws, trying to do what's right, etc? Are you afraid that if you say "I've been blessed" without adding "but I don't deserve those blessings" that God will be angered and start decimating your family or something?

Further, if you're doing your best to "walk with God" - why don't you deserve God's love, anyway? He gives it unconditionally (except for the condition that if you don't love him, you go to hell) - so why don't you deserve it?
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by jwil59 View Post
    I believe it was inspired by God.
    What is meant by "inspired"? That's something that was never quite clear to me.

4. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mobulis View Post
    Except that man wrote scripture.
    I believe it was inspired by God.
    “Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

6. Sponsored Links

Pretty much what the word means in any other application. I believe the Spirit of God inspired the words, that the books, all which are given by inspiration of God to be the rule of faith and life.
    In the sense that the writers had a direct line of communication or experience with God?

8. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I think the scripture reads "None are righteous". To say that none do good would not be accurate in my view.
    And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.

Your disagreement is with Jesus. Take it up with him on how he worded it.

10. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ImRightYoureWrong View Post
    What is meant by "inspired"? That's something that was never quite clear to me.
    Pretty much what the word means in any other application. I believe the Spirit of God inspired the words, that the books, all which are given by inspiration of God to be the rule of faith and life.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

12. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.

Your disagreement is with Jesus. Take it up with him on how he worded it.
    I've never disagreed with Jesus. Again, we are looking at different passages i think. I think you are referring to Jesus' discourse with the young ruler in the Gospels. I'm not getting your point
    ― Jimmy Buffett

14. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I've never disagreed with Jesus.
    I seriously doubt there is any truth in that statement. Never is a very long time. And you have talked about your rebellious time. So I'm not buying it.

Again, we are looking at different passages i think. I think you are referring to Jesus' discourse with the young ruler in the Gospels. I'm not getting your point
    What Jesus said means you're not good.
    Last edited by Koushi Shinigami; December 7th, 2017 at 6:47 pm.

16. Sponsored Links

I think the scripture reads "None are righteous". To say that none do good would not be accurate in my view.
    Context should be kept in mind as well. In Romans 3, Paul is stringing together scriptures (many from Psalms) which was a usual form of teaching in the day. Yet in Psalms we have good people praying to God for assistance against the evil they face. His original language also set forth the idea that mankind is tempted and influenced by that which is wicked. As adamant as Paul was that no one escaped evil influences entirely, he was even more adamant of the redemptive influence/power of God. Very simple, when under temptation of something wrong, look to God and that will help keep choices on the right track.

18. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    I seriously doubt there is any truth in that statement. Never is a very long time. And you have talked about your rebellious time. So I'm not buying it.

What Jesus said means you're not good.
    Yeah I am not good, I agree then. Good
    ― Jimmy Buffett

20. Sponsored Links

Yeah I am not good, I agree then. Good
    A young aristocrat comes running up to Jesus, throws himself at Jesus' feet, and proclaims him good!

This attitude is not discipleship, it is compares more closely to celebrity worship. Jesus goes onto to explain what true discipleship is.

22. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    Context should be kept in mind as well. In Romans 3, Paul is stringing together scriptures (many from Psalms) which was a usual form of teaching in the day. Yet in Psalms we have good people praying to God for assistance against the evil they face. His original language also set forth the idea that mankind is tempted and influenced by that which is wicked. As adamant as Paul was that no one escaped evil influences entirely, he was even more adamant of the redemptive influence/power of God. Very simple, when under temptation of something wrong, look to God and that will help keep choices on the right track.
    That is also written about in 1 Corinthians 10:13. I agree
    ― Jimmy Buffett

24. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    A young aristocrat comes running up to Jesus, throws himself at Jesus' feet, and proclaims him good!

This attitude is not discipleship, it is compares more closely to celebrity worship. Jesus goes onto to explain what true discipleship is.
    I know what true discipleship is. Yes it is discipleship in my view, knowing who I am and who He is. It is not an attitude but a lifestyle.

I would love to know why you are saying that Meri.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

26. Sponsored Links

Point of trivia: 'Disciple' means 'student.'

28. Sponsored Links

I know what true discipleship is. Yes it is discipleship in my view, knowing who I am and who He is. It is not an attitude but a lifestyle.

I don't either, brother.
    This week under President Trump the DOW reached over 23000 & we're talking about something Trump said. WOW!

30. Sponsored Links

31. Likes jwil59 liked this post

a. Because I love the Gospel incident that is being discussed. It makes me smile.
    b. Because the context of the incident with Jesus should be noted.
    c. God loves us. People who are loved feel valued, not insignificant or dismissed as not good. We should see in ourselves what God sees in us--perhaps that image of Himself He used when we were created.

33. Sponsored Links