Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default "I don't deserve ...."

In Greek mythology there's a thing called hubris. People with skills who claim these gifts for their own - instead of something bestowed upon them by a (mythological) god or goddess, always get it in the neck. The moral of the story being - give thanks to the god or goddess, and don't take credit for your own skill.

I'm reminded of that superstition every time I read a post by a Christian who says, "I have a lot of blessings, but I don't deserve them," or "God loves me, but I don't deserve his love."

Is it superstition that causes you (I use the universal you) to disclaim any merit in yourself for trying to follow God's laws, trying to do what's right, etc? Are you afraid that if you say "I've been blessed" without adding "but I don't deserve those blessings" that God will be angered and start decimating your family or something?

Further, if you're doing your best to "walk with God" - why don't you deserve God's love, anyway? He gives it unconditionally (except for the condition that if you don't love him, you go to hell) - so why don't you deserve it?
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."

2. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

probably.

4. Sponsored Links

Parable of the Talents. Upon being given a blessing is both the thrill and the responsibility of at least doubling that blessing and striving to increase it ten fold.

Experiencing love often generates a feeling of awe and the thought, "I want to learn to love like that!" Experiencing God's love comes with the realization that God loves everyone that much, and that the love I give people isn't measuring up to the amount of love it is possible yet for me to generate.

The thought is not, "I don't deserve love myself;" the thought is, "I can love all others better." I am nowhere near the limit I am capable of but cannot seem to generate/express.

6. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Also, I find it annoying when people give credit for inconsequential things to God. I doubt God cares a rat's ass about the outcome of some American sports event.
    Last edited by Koushi Shinigami; December 6th, 2017 at 11:32 am.

8. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    Also, I find it annoying when people give credit for inconsequential things to God. I doubt God cares a rat's add about the outcome of some American sports event.
    Or giving credit to God for the heroic actions of individuals or the hard work they put into something. Like surgeons...how about you give them credit for years of study and immense talent.

10. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McAlpine View Post
    In Greek mythology there's a thing called hubris. People with skills who claim these gifts for their own - instead of something bestowed upon them by a (mythological) god or goddess, always get it in the neck. The moral of the story being - give thanks to the god or goddess, and don't take credit for your own skill.

I'm reminded of that superstition every time I read a post by a Christian who says, "I have a lot of blessings, but I don't deserve them," or "God loves me, but I don't deserve his love."

Is it superstition that causes you (I use the universal you) to disclaim any merit in yourself for trying to follow God's laws, trying to do what's right, etc? Are you afraid that if you say "I've been blessed" without adding "but I don't deserve those blessings" that God will be angered and start decimating your family or something?

Further, if you're doing your best to "walk with God" - why don't you deserve God's love, anyway? He gives it unconditionally (except for the condition that if you don't love him, you go to hell) - so why don't you deserve it?
    Its strictly theological. I think much of it is base on a view of sin and the wrath that brings spiritually.

The textbook definition of grace is "unmerited favor" so try to see it like that my friend. Grace is the main pillar of Christianity in my eyes.
    “Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

12. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ImRightYoureWrong View Post
    Or giving credit to God for the heroic actions of individuals or the hard work they put into something. Like surgeons...how about you give them credit for years of study and immense talent.
    Who don't give surgeons credit for that? I would disagree with that as well. I most certainly gave credit to the surgeon who did my kid's brain surgery. That is one brilliant man.

Much of this type thing is people trusting God and nothing more. It's a faith issue and not a knock at science or anything else.

“Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

14. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jwil59 View Post
    Its strictly theological. I think much of it is base on a view of sin and the wrath that brings spiritually.

The textbook definition of grace is "unmerited favor" so try to see it like that my friend. Grace is the main pillar of Christianity in my eyes.
    I looked up grace at Dictionary.com. Nothing "unmerited".

elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action: We watched her skate with effortless grace across the ice.
    Synonyms: attractiveness, charm, gracefulness, comeliness, ease, lissomeness, fluidity.
    Antonyms: stiffness, ugliness, awkwardness, clumsiness; klutziness.

2. a pleasing or attractive quality or endowment: He lacked the manly graces.

3. favor or goodwill. Synonyms: kindness, kindliness, love, benignity; condescension.

4. a manifestation of favor, especially by a superior: It was only through the dean's grace that I wasn't expelled from school.
    Synonyms: forgiveness, charity, mercifulness.
    Antonyms: animosity, enmity, disfavor.

5. mercy; clemency; pardon: He was saved by an act of grace from the governor.
    Synonyms: lenity, leniency, reprieve.
    Antonyms: harshness.

6. favor shown in granting a delay or temporary immunity.

7. an allowance of time after a debt or bill has become payable granted to the debtor before suit can be brought against him or her or a penalty applied: The life insurance premium is due today, but we have 31 days' grace before the policy lapses.

Try saying, "Thank you, God, I do my best to merit your grace." That's a more positive outlook and gives more credit to God for not bestowing "unconditional" love. Unconditional love is really an insult, frankly....

16. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

To deserve something is to have a right to it.

You have no right to a gift, you don't earn it, didn't create or produce it, it is given without merit or right.
    Don't Blame Me I voted for Cruz! Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless
    THE DEFICIT

18. Sponsored Links

I looked up grace at Dictionary.com. Nothing "unmerited".

Try saying, "Thank you, God, I do my best to merit your grace." That's a more positive outlook and gives more credit to God for not bestowing "unconditional" love. Unconditional love is really an insult, frankly....
    Try using sunlight as an analogy. The sun is there for people to make use of. Or not. God's love is there for our benefit, but just like sunlight, it is also possible for us to avoid it.

20. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    To deserve something is to have a right to it.

You have no right to a gift, you don't earn it, didn't create or produce it, it is given without merit or right.
    But God is not giving a "gift" - he's not giving something to someone who doesn't "merit" it.

If you accept Jesus as your savior - according to Christianity - you merit the gift, if you refuse to accept Jesus as your savior, you don't merit it and won't get it.
    Therefore, since Jwil and other Christians accept Christ as their savior, and do their best to "walk with God" the way they imagine He wants them to, they merit his gift and to say "I'm unworthy of this" is to insult the Big Guy.

When I originally started this thread, my question though was, whenever cerrtain people here mention the blessings they've received from God, they always say afterward, "but I don't deserve it."

That was the point of my post. You may think you don't deserve God's blessings, but why do you always say so. Why not just say, "God has blessed me" and then privately say to yourself, "but I dont' deserve it."

The fact that they find it necessary to articulate it every single time is what interests me. (This folder is a small sample size, admittedly(.

But that's why I ask - do people add in that bit about "but I don't deserve it" out loud in order to keep God from taking umbrage and decimating their family?

Although I did think of another potential reason which I suppose would be to deflect jealousy or anger from other people who also "walk with God" but have yet to receive any blessings....they don't want to rub their good fortune in the faces of the less fortunate.
    Last edited by Alex McAlpine; December 6th, 2017 at 11:16 am. Reason: adding some formatting to emphasize my point

22. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

But God is not giving a "gift" - he's not giving something to someone who doesn't "merit" it.

Therefore, since Jwil and other Christians accept Christ as their savior, and do their best to "walk with God" the way they imagine He wants them to, they merit his gift and to say "I'm unworthy of this" is to insult the Big Guy.

When I originally started this thread, my question though was, whenever cerrtain people here mention the blessings they've received from God, they always say afterward, "but I don't deserve it."

That was the point of my post. You may think you don't deserve God's blessings, but why do you always say so. Why not just say, "God has blessed me" and then privately say to yourself, "but I dont' deserve it."

The fact that they find it necessary to articulate it every single time is what interests me. (This folder is a small sample size, admittedly(.

But that's why I ask - do people add in that bit about "but I don't deserve it" out loud in order to keep God from taking umbrage and decimating their family?

Although I did think of another potential reason which I suppose would be to deflect jealousy or anger from other people who also "walk with God" but have yet to receive any blessings....they don't want to rub their good fortune in the faces of the less fortunate.
    Most of the time it strikes me as a false humility. Like when some people claim they are a great sinner. What a thing to take pride in. I doubt anyone here caused a mass genocide, so I doubt their meager transgressions ever approached greatness.

24. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

The term merit has a Roman Catholic connotation.

Roman Catholic Church.worthiness of spiritual reward, acquired by righteous acts made under the influence of grace.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/merit

By claiming their gifts are unmerited they are distancing themselves from the Catholic Church and showing their contempt for it.

26. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koushi Shinigami View Post
    By claiming their gifts are unmerited they are distancing themselves from the Catholic Church and showing their contempt for it.
    Ah! I see!

28. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Ah! I see!

30. Sponsored Links