Default What the NFL Will Look Like in 10 Years?

With all this talk about CTE from the fear-mongering media, panicking parents are probably won't let their kids play football.

If the tests to determine if living players have CTE are developed, football in suburban high schools will be over.

That means fewer players in college and in the NFL.

The NFL, and football in general, will look completely different.

DAMN YOU, CTE!

2. Sponsored Links

In my humble opinion the NFL will resemble your local Semi-Pro league in 10 years, not only the CTE problem, but not controlling the players who you took a knee for our National Anthem & disrespected our flag, will only make more & more demands, It's only human nature to want more & more, since the players found out they are in charge. the viewers will leave slowly & so will the sponsor's.

4. Sponsored Links

Jared Goff, a two time superbowl MVP, will seen as the greatest of the new generation of QB's.

Tom Brady, only five years from having retired at the age of 45 will enter the Hall of Fame. Due to his longevity he'll own every major passing record and they'll be largely untouchable.

My Dolphins will still suck.

The NFL will still be the most popular sport in America.

6. Sponsored Links

The NFL will remain popular.

The Chargers regretted moving to LA and moved back to San Diego in a new stadium.

The Jets will finally win another Super Bowl.

The Cleveland Browns are still looking for a win.

8. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkjetsfan View Post
    The NFL will remain popular.

The Chargers regretted moving to LA and moved back to San Diego in a new stadium.

The Jets will finally win another Super Bowl.

The Cleveland Browns are still looking for a win.
    You mean one that actually counts for something? I got news for ya, The SB the Jets won, like the two prior, and the one right after it, were bragging rights games and nothing more. They weren't championship games. The Colts won the NFL championship that year, the Jets won the AFL championship. Don't believe me? look it up. Super bowls 1 through 4 were glorified exhibition games and nothing more. Only when the two league's merged did super bowls actually count as championship games. That would start at Super Bowl 5.

10. Sponsored Links

With all this talk about CTE from the fear-mongering media, panicking parents are probably won't let their kids play football.

If the tests to determine if living players have CTE are developed, football in suburban high schools will be over.

That means fewer players in college and in the NFL.

The NFL, and football in general, will look completely different.

DAMN YOU, CTE!
    I don't know how kids are today, but when I was young I played 20 times more tackle football out of pads than in pads. High school football was a breeze, you're protected in pads and playing against your peers. Sandlot football is another story altogether. It wasn't that uncommon at the age of 16-17 to be playing guys in their mid 20s. Some of these games were brutal and it's how I got both of my concussions among other injuries. You can't stop kids from playing football in a playground.

12. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Toll Collector View Post
    You mean one that actually counts for something? I got news for ya, The SB the Jets won, like the two prior, and the one right after it, were bragging rights games and nothing more. They weren't championship games. The Colts won the NFL championship that year, the Jets won the AFL championship. Don't believe me? look it up. Super bowls 1 through 4 were glorified exhibition games and nothing more. Only when the two league's merged did super bowls actually count as championship games. That would start at Super Bowl 5.
    A Super Bowl win is still a Super Bowl win.

14. Sponsored Links

A Super Bowl win is still a Super Bowl win.
    What? Let me try to explain this better.

Super Bowls 1 through 4 were glorified exhibition games. They didn't count for anything. The two league's were not merged yet. I'll give you an example. Remember the XFL? Have the champion of the XFL play the super bowl winner of the NFL just for bragging rights. Same with super bowl 3. Jets won the AFL championship and the Colts won the NFL championship. It was not until super bowl 5 did the super bowl count as a championship game.

If I'm not mistaken the first two super bowls weren't even called super bowls, they were called AFL vs NFL games. They were extra games that did not need to be played. Games that do not need to be played don't count for anything.

16. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I don't know if you can equate high school football with the pros or even college. Generally speaking, the teenage boys are not yet the physical freaks (in terms of size, strength, and speed) you see in the higher levels of competition. I could be wrong, but I suspect the incidents of traumatic injury/CTE/concussion is much less in terms of frequency and severity.

If there's going to be a decline in participation, I suspect it will be most dramatic at the college level, when the stakes (and the players) are much bigger, and those individuals who don't have a decent chance at making big money professionally question whether they want to subject their bodies and brains to the shots they will take. Even so, won't stop some from accepting the risk in return for using football to finance their academic goals.

10 years used to sound like a long stretch when I was younger. Now it seems to speed by fairly quickly. I don't predict any radical changes to pro football or its overall popularity in America. They may tweak the rules to further protect players. Los Angeles may lose one of its newfound teams. If I'm really, really lucky, the Cardinals will put together another decent team and make a legitimate run for a title.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato

18. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    I don't know if you can equate high school football with the pros or even college. Generally speaking, the teenage boys are not yet the physical freaks (in terms of size, strength, and speed) you see in the higher levels of competition. I could be wrong, but I suspect the incidents of traumatic injury/CTE/concussion is much less in terms of frequency and severity.

If there's going to be a decline in participation, I suspect it will be most dramatic at the college level, when the stakes (and the players) are much bigger, and those individuals who don't have a decent chance at making big money professionally question whether they want to subject their bodies and brains to the shots they will take. Even so, won't stop some from accepting the risk in return for using football to finance their academic goals.

10 years used to sound like a long stretch when I was younger. Now it seems to speed by fairly quickly. I don't predict any radical changes to pro football or its overall popularity in America. They may tweak the rules to further protect players. Los Angeles may lose one of its newfound teams. If I'm really, really lucky, the Cardinals will put together another decent team and make a legitimate run for a title.
    I would agree with you as far as high school players go. I played a few high school years and that certainly wasn't where the danger of injury was, it was playing non organized football. I played a ton more of those games and it was where I got both of my concussions among other injuries. Mainly because you're not exclusively playing your peers.

I don't even think you'll see lesser at the college level as their parents can't tell them they can't play. Any good athlete at the sport is going to want to play.

20. Sponsored Links