"Common Sense Gun Laws for Mass Shootings" - Page 15

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Default "Common Sense Gun Laws for Mass Shootings"

A lot of calls for more laws. I'm ready.

You propose the law you want and we'll debate it.
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier"
    -Samuel Johnson

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Are you sure you want to move the bar back to 1789?

Back then, the army of every major power in the world issued smooth boar muskets to their troops that couldnít hit the side of a barn at 100 meters. On the other hand, the Patriot Militias, which were manned with citizen volunteers who brought their own personal weapons to the fight, were armed with rifles that were accurate enough to hit a man at 400 meters. In other words, the people had better arms technology than the Kingís Army.

You are still avoiding the fact that between the 2nd and 5th Amendments, we Americans have the right to keep and bear arms without prior restraint to do so. One of the principles that the USA was founded on is that the preservation of freedom carries risk. He who gives up his liberty for security neither has nor deserves either. I am truly sorry that you Aussies donít understand that.

Samm it is very simple: we Aussies don't have an irrational fear of our Federal Government. We may not like it sometimes; we may not have a very high opinion of them at times. But we don't feel that there will ever be any circumstances where we would need to take arms against an Australian Federal Government. I will also point out that we had an all volunteer force in both world wars and didn't feel the need to wait until 1917 or 1941 to volunteer to fight.

I will also point out that by definition the 2A makes changes to the original constitution and to try to lessen the changes of ever increasing bloody and fatal gun massacre the 2A should itself be changed.
    obscurum per obscurius
    ignotum per ignotius

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by westaussie View Post
    Samm it is very simple: we Aussies don't have an irrational fear of our Federal Government. We may not like it sometimes; we may not have a very high opinion of them at times. But we don't feel that there will ever be any circumstances where we would need to take arms against an Australian Federal Government. I will also point out that we had an all volunteer force in both world wars and didn't feel the need to wait until 1917 or 1941 to volunteer to fight.
    Good for you. But that has nothing to do with this discussion.

I will also point out that by definition the 2A makes changes to the original constitution and to try to lessen the changes of ever increasing bloody and fatal gun massacre the 2A should itself be changed.
    False. The Bill of Rights is part of the original Constitution. It is an addendum, not a modification. It was added specifically to limit the power of the Government.

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

6. Sponsored Links