Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 144
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The Republic
    Posts
    158,733
    Rep Power
    30

    Default "Common Sense Gun Laws for Mass Shootings"

    A lot of calls for more laws. I'm ready.

    You propose the law you want and we'll debate it.
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier"
    -Samuel Johnson

  2. Sponsored Links


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,316
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky SF Dude View Post
    A lot of calls for more laws. I'm ready.

    You propose the law you want and we'll debate it.

    "Common Sense" is relative.

    Some will argue that any gun law violates "common sense" because if a gun is not available someone can drive a truck into a crowd.

    Others will claim that any law allowing persons to how machines originally meant to kill violates "common sense".



    I applaud your effort, but there will be no winners and losers in the debate.



    >>>>
    Navy Chiefs never retire, they just go on to other duty assignments. -

  4. Sponsored Links


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The Republic
    Posts
    158,733
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    "Common Sense" is relative.

    Some will argue that any gun law violates "common sense" because if a gun is not available someone can drive a truck into a crowd.

    Others will claim that any law allowing persons to how machines originally meant to kill violates "common sense".



    I applaud your effort, but there will be no winners and losers in the debate.



    >>>>
    Their terminology. Hence the quotation marks

  6. Sponsored Links


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    30,529
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Interesting but not surprising in the lack of debate. Guess it's hard for the gun control crowd to debate when the only come with bumper sticker slogans
    “Remember the first rule of gunfighting … have a gun.”

  8. Sponsored Links


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    50
    Posts
    33,308
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky SF Dude View Post
    A lot of calls for more laws. I'm ready.

    You propose the law you want and we'll debate it.

    How about you come up with some.
    Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea.

  10. Sponsored Links


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Georgia
    Posts
    6,516
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Bumping this. All the screaming about "we gotta do something" yet non of the screamers have a plan.

  12. Sponsored Links


  13. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    50
    Posts
    33,308
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gimpmaker View Post
    Bumping this. All the screaming about "we gotta do something" yet non of the screamers have a plan.

    Every time we come up with something you guys shoot it down, so you produce something.
    Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea.

  14. Sponsored Links


  15. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The Last Best Place
    Posts
    97,699
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobulis View Post
    Every time we come up with something you guys shoot it down, so you produce something.
    Ban and confiscate guns is not a plan, that’s an agenda.

    It has been suggested several times by several of us to expand background checks by giving individuals access to the NICS when selling a gun to someone they do not know. I have never heard you comment on that. Why not? Doesn’t that epitomize “common sense”?

    "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

  16. Sponsored Links


  17. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    50
    Posts
    33,308
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Ban and confiscate guns is not a plan, that’s an agenda.

    It has been suggested several times by several of us to expand background checks by giving individuals access to the NICS when selling a gun to someone they do not know. I have never heard you comment on that. Why not? Doesn’t that epitomize “common sense”?
    Except for the fact background checks are useless according to most.
    Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea.

  18. Sponsored Links


  19. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    50
    Posts
    33,308
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    That’s a lie.

    If you say so.
    Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea.

  20. Sponsored Links


  21. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The Last Best Place
    Posts
    97,699
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobulis View Post
    Except for the fact background checks are useless according to most.
    That’s a lie.

    "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

  22. Sponsored Links


  23. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    50
    Posts
    33,308
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    No ... not because I say so, because it a flat out lie. Almost nobody thinks that background checks don’t help keep guns out of the hands of people who should not have them. Of course it is not perfect ... as the Texas shooting showed ... but if law enforcement would keep the data base current, and the mental health profession would do a better job of identifying and reporting dangerous mental deficients, and if private individuals had access to the NICS, far fewer of the “wrong people” would be easily able to get a gun.

    For once cannot you be serious, or is that beyond your mentality?
    Lots of posts from people here saying background checks didn't help in x.
    Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea.

  24. Sponsored Links


  25. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The Last Best Place
    Posts
    97,699
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobulis View Post
    If you say so.
    No ... not because I say so, because it a flat out lie. Almost nobody thinks that background checks don’t help keep guns out of the hands of people who should not have them. Of course it is not perfect ... as the Texas shooting showed ... but if law enforcement would keep the data base current, and the mental health profession would do a better job of identifying and reporting dangerous mental deficients, and if private individuals had access to the NICS, far fewer of the “wrong people” would be easily able to get a gun.

    For once cannot you be serious, or is that beyond your mentality?

    "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

  26. Sponsored Links


  27. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The Last Best Place
    Posts
    97,699
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobulis View Post
    Lots of posts from people here saying background checks didn't help in x.
    That’s BS. Name one member here who said that. Better yet, quote their post.

    "A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

  28. Sponsored Links


  29. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,050
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Ban and confiscate guns is not a plan, that’s an agenda.

    It has been suggested several times by several of us to expand background checks by giving individuals access to the NICS when selling a gun to someone they do not know. I have never heard you comment on that. Why not? Doesn’t that epitomize “common sense”?

    Sounds reasonable to me.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis


  30. Sponsored Links


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •