Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Like Stats

Default NK can kill 90% of American population-today

Good article.
    Scary stuff.

"Congress was warned Thursday that North Korea is capable of attacking the U.S. today with a nuclear EMP bomb that could indefinitely shut down the electric power grid and kill 90 percent of "all Americans" within a year.

At a House hearing, experts said that North Korea could easily employ the "doomsday scenario" to turn parts of the U.S. to ashes."

MORE..........
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/co...rticle/2637349

2. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

And we can kill 100% of them.

We win.

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

4. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Perplexed
    Ideology
    Crusty Conservative
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

It is scary. It's scarier given being such an impotent, unprepared, said to be greatest power on earth. How'd this vulnerability inviting attack, be allowed to happen? Since it has, what?

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Apathetic
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Uh huh....
    The beauty that is the ugliness of the right. " They demand accountability for anger and divisiveness, while holding themselves entirely unaccountable for their anger and divisiveness"

8. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Apathetic
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    And we can kill 100% of them.

We win.
    Brillant..you won't be here but we win!
    The beauty that is the ugliness of the right. " They demand accountability for anger and divisiveness, while holding themselves entirely unaccountable for their anger and divisiveness"

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

12. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

The threat posed by EMP's has been dramatically over-exaggerated, iirc. There's been quite a bit of testing done on the subject, and it's never lived up to the hype.

Hell, the US even tested a nuclear-generated EMP and it really didn't have much if any effect at all. Starfish Prime was the test, it did knock out some satellites but I imagine modern satellites might fare a bit better.

And of course if someone is lobbing nukes at you, you're already in a nuclear war.

That being said, hardening the US electrical grid is a no-brainer. Not because of an EMP attack that will never arrive, but because of a geomagnetic storm that will.
    Last edited by MoleUK; October 13th, 2017 at 4:26 am.

14. Sponsored Links

15. Likes Brack liked this post
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by MoleUK View Post
    The threat posed by EMP's has been dramatically over-exaggerated, iirc. There's been quite a bit of testing done on the subject, and it's never lived up to the hype.

Hell, the US even tested a nuclear-generated EMP and it really didn't have much if any effect at all. Starfish Prime was the test, it did knock out some satellites but I imagine modern satellites might fare a bit better.

And of course if someone is lobbing nukes at you, you're already in a nuclear war.

That being said, hardening the US electrical grid is a no-brainer. Not because of an EMP attack that will never arrive, but because of a geomagnetic storm that will.
    This is gonna sound crazy to the warhawks, but...

Maybe we should take the money we would use for the war...and use it to harden our grid instead. But I guess it's important to keep the outdated power grid as an excuse to attack Iran later too.
    Last edited by auto129; October 13th, 2017 at 5:48 am.

17. Sponsored Links

18. Likes MoleUK liked this post
    My Mood
    Sardonic
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by auto129 View Post

Maybe we should take the money we would use for the war...and use it to harden our grid instead. But I guess it's important to keep the outdated power grid as an excuse to attack Iran later too.
    It's weird to me that people will declare you can never remove all of the guns in this society because there would be a revolt and the people with the guns would win (condensing this obviously), yet at the same time we need to push our military spending up to almost a trillion dollars because you never know what those dastardly Koreans are going to do. They have a GDP comparable with ****ing Haiti but we need a few thousand more F-35s or we won't be safe!

Imagine what this country would look like if we spent every year of the last three decades putting hundreds of billions of extra dollars into an effective, high speed mass transit system, or burying all of our power lines or delivering broadband lines to every nook and cranny...

20. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

uh, Russia.

and you guys side with them over us.

22. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    It makes for a good EOTWAWKI novel but NK is not going to kill 90% of the population of the USA.
    Russia could. And we have posters on this very board who make excuses for him.

24. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Ecstatic
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

It makes for a good EOTWAWKI novel but NK is not going to kill 90% of the population of the USA.

26. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by auto129 View Post

DId you not read the article? Hardening the grid was what they were proposing.

That said, this is the key part of that article in my view

from http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/co...rticle/2637349

Their testimony also highlighted the failure of the Pentagon or Congress to extend the life of the EMP Commission and they recommended deeper study into the threat, include from a simple solar flare.
    Last ditch effort to save their jobs.
    Self appointed forum Mark Zuckerberg, feel free to ask me if any news story is real or fake.

28. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sardonic
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Let the trumpsters have their way and have trump unleash nuclear armageddon so their dreams of being cavemen can become a reality.....

30. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdBase View Post
    Let the trumpsters have their way and have trump unleash nuclear armageddon so their dreams of being cavemen can become a reality.....
    I can't help you if you have gone so far around the bend that you think anyone is itching for nuclear armageddon.
    Self appointed forum Mark Zuckerberg, feel free to ask me if any news story is real or fake.

32. Sponsored Links