Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Don't like politics
    Post Like Stats

Default Medicare for all

WASHINGTON—Sen. Bernie Sanders will introduce legislation on Wednesday that would expand Medicare into a universal health insurance program with the backing of at least 15 Democratic senators — a record level of support for an idea that had been relegated to the fringes during the last Democratic presidency.

Sanders acknowledged that the plan would be costly but pointed to the experience of other industrialized countries that provided universal coverage through higher taxes. The average American paid $11,365 (U.S.) per year in taxes; the average Canadian paid $14,693. But the average American paid twice as much for health care as the average Canadian.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...d-support.html

Employers who provide health insurance would most likely see savings. Every working person could pay in through payroll taxes. I think all that will be covered is a little ambitious. You could make other cuts to programs for healthcare for the poor as all would have insurance.
    Proverbs 30:8Remove untruth and lies far from me.
    Give me neither poverty nor riches.
    Just let me consume my portion of food

2. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Would love to see it. It overall costs less than what we have now.

I don't think that it has a chance in hell.

Not in my lifetime anyway.

4. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DRS View Post
    WASHINGTON—Sen. Bernie Sanders will introduce legislation on Wednesday that would expand Medicare into a universal health insurance program with the backing of at least 15 Democratic senators — a record level of support for an idea that had been relegated to the fringes during the last Democratic presidency.....
    Repeal and Replace.
    I wonder if the GOP will keep its campaign promise(s) this time?

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Don't like politics
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by merickson View Post
    Repeal and Replace.
    I wonder if the GOP will keep its campaign promise(s) this time?
    Yep fulfills that promise and Trumps promise that more people are covered.

8. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Christian Conservative
    Post Like Stats

WASHINGTON—Sen. Bernie Sanders will introduce legislation on Wednesday that would expand Medicare into a universal health insurance program with the backing of at least 15 Democratic senators — a record level of support for an idea that had been relegated to the fringes during the last Democratic presidency.

Sanders acknowledged that the plan would be costly but pointed to the experience of other industrialized countries that provided universal coverage through higher taxes. The average American paid $11,365 (U.S.) per year in taxes; the average Canadian paid $14,693. But the average American paid twice as much for health care as the average Canadian.

Employers who provide health insurance would most likely see savings. Every working person could pay in through payroll taxes. I think all that will be covered is a little ambitious. You could make other cuts to programs for healthcare for the poor as all would have insurance.
    Sounds great until people have to purchase it. My wife of 35 years has been a stay at home mom, with me providing for the family. She is a few years older than I and will turn 65 next month. At 65, she comes off my health plan (retired military) and has to get on medicare. Since she hasnt worked 40 quarters, I have to pay for her medicare out of pocket until I retire. The payments for medicare out of pocket are 650 dollars a month(Part A & Part B). That 650 a month is just for her. What do you think the rates will be for a family of four?

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Don't like politics
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by komobu View Post
    Sounds great until people have to purchase it. My wife of 35 years has been a stay at home mom, with me providing for the family. She is a few years older than I and will turn 65 next month. At 65, she comes off my health plan (retired military) and has to get on medicare. Since she hasnt worked 40 quarters, I have to pay for her medicare out of pocket until I retire. The payments for medicare out of pocket are 650 dollars a month(Part A & Part B). That 650 a month is just for her. What do you think the rates will be for a family of four?
    If it works like other countries a lot lower.

12. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Would definitely be a good step forward. Next step would be to work aggressively to get our per capita costs down to similar levels of other OECD nations.

14. Sponsored Links

15. Likes merickson, southernmoderate liked this post
    My Mood
    Humorous
    Ideology
    Don't know
    Post Like Stats

get ready for the Venezuela / liberal utopia comparison...
    "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters"

17. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Don't like politics
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by amen man View Post
    get ready for the Venezuela / liberal utopia comparison...
    I am at the point where I ignore most of the retarded posters here.

19. Sponsored Links

20. Likes Plasmaball liked this post
    My Mood
    Cranky
    Ideology
    Crusty Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Zero chance this will gain any traction.
    Hillary 2020!

22. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Observant
    Ideology
    Don't like politics
    Post Like Stats

I think many folks also purchase a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy and need to pay for the Part D prescription coverage. That should bump it up a few hundred more a month.

24. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

The cost to insure a 65+ year old woman are far higher than for much younger individuals.

26. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sardonic
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Are you sure your understanding of Tricare is correct? I believe your spouse can remain covered after 65 even if you're under 62, then she becomes eligible for fee-free Medicare A on your earnings record when you turn 62. She'd have to sign up (now!) for Medicare B, though, and get a new ID card based on not being eligible for fee-free Medicare A.
    "You're going to have such great healthcare, at a tiny fraction of the cost - and it's going to be so easy." - Donald Trump, October 2016

28. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Christian Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    Are you sure your understanding of Tricare is correct? I believe your spouse can remain covered after 65 even if you're under 62, then she becomes eligible for fee-free Medicare A on your earnings record when you turn 62. She'd have to sign up (now!) for Medicare B, though, and get a new ID card based on not being eligible for fee-free Medicare A.
    I sent you a PM

30. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Don't like politics
    Post Like Stats

If you get a Democrat majority in Senate and house with Trump as president I can see it passing.

32. Sponsored Links