Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Default 2017 College Football Thread

Is Florida State the best of the ACC this year and a National Championship contender?

We shall definitely get a good indication on Saturday evening, when Florida State plays at Alabama.

If Florida State can defeat the Crimson Tide at home, they would become a heavy favorite to win the National Championship.

If Florida State loses, I think they still are the class of the ACC and can still make it into the playoffs.

Meanwhile, while FSU is in Alabama, Clemson will be playing that perennial powerhouse, Kent State.

2. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    I'm actually shocked that they did put Georgia as #1 citing the win over Notre Dame as the reason. I really didn't think they would given the history of bias in the polling. Though I wonder if Georgia wasn't also an SEC team if it would have happened.

No bigger proof of the SEC bias in polling has ever existed than years ago when in the opening game of the season Boise State, who was ranked somewhere around 20, went to Atlanta to play Georgia, who was ranked above them, and beat Georgia. Some pollsters with SEC bias DROPPED Boise State in their rankings over this. Boise State did rise in the overall poll because not all pollsters are biased but some actually did drop them.
    In the AP poll - Boise State was #5 going into that game and moved up to #4 in Week 2 - 2011. Georgia dropped out after starting #19. The coaches' poll started them at #7 and moved them to #5 after the win, while Georgia went from #18 to out.

They did drop after week 6 - Wisconsin jumped them after embarrassing Nebraska 48-17. They dropped again after losing to TCU.
    Last edited by Dr. Funkenstein; November 14th, 2017 at 4:38 pm.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

4. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Tired
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    In the AP poll - Boise State was #5 going into that game and moved up to #4 in Week 2 - 2011. Georgia dropped out after starting #19. The coaches' poll started them at #7 and moved them to #5 after the win, while Georgia went from #18 to out.

They did drop after week 6 - Wisconsin jumped them after embarrassing Nebraska 48-17. They dropped again after losing to TCU.
    Guess I mixed up the rankings, I was thinking it Georgia that was higher. Otherwise though my point still stands. Some pollsters voted Boise lower after beating Georgia. Andy Staples for one as he writes for Sports Illustrated and is a voter. He was doing the college football power rankings for SI at the time and his rankings were also the ballot he turned in for his voting and he dropped Boise State. He took a lot of flak from readers over it as did a few others.

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Well, looks like Delaware State got the brunt of the Seminoles rage over this season.

They called for mercy in the second half and cut 5 minutes off each quarter.

Delaware State probably wishes they had scheduled that game in September.

8. Sponsored Links