Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Default 2017 College Football Thread

Is Florida State the best of the ACC this year and a National Championship contender?

We shall definitely get a good indication on Saturday evening, when Florida State plays at Alabama.

If Florida State can defeat the Crimson Tide at home, they would become a heavy favorite to win the National Championship.

If Florida State loses, I think they still are the class of the ACC and can still make it into the playoffs.

Meanwhile, while FSU is in Alabama, Clemson will be playing that perennial powerhouse, Kent State.

2. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    I've always wondered about the mentality of kids who go to schools like Alabama where they know its most likely they'll just be stuck being a bench warmer most of their career. You don't get recruited by Alabama unless you were pretty good but unless your the elite of the elite vs just being elite your probably not going to be a starter at Bama. Whereas you could probably go to another school and play. Maybe not have as good a shot at a championship but you would at least play.
    Better coaches, better training facilities. Even if you only play at Alabama during your senior season, you're going to get noticed because they're a national game 8 weeks a year.

That said, players transfer out of schools like Alabama, FSU, LSU, etc in search of snaps all the time. Often they end up in I-AA, sacrificing the chance for attention in one season for more playing time over three or four seasons. It's a matter of priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    I remember some NFL QB saying basically just this. He got recruited by a number of schools coming out of high school but he chose a lesser school vs the elite one because he knew he'd have a chance to play at the lesser school (still Division I but not one of the major schools) vs riding the bench for years at the elite one. It worked for him because he went on to the NFL. I wanna say it was Drew Brees but I can't recall for sure.
    You'll see 5-star guys going to "lesser" schools from time to time...Ed Oliver at Houston is the most recent example...and for many of those reasons. They want to help build a program, or they want more playing time. If they're as good as the recruiting services say, they'll make their way to the NFL anyway.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

4. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Safiel View Post
    Alabama or not, if Florida State had the quality that had previously claimed, they would have at least kept it close until the very end. The fact that they collapsed indicates just as much that Florida State has serious deficiencies as it does Alabama's quality.
    They made five bad plays in the third quarter and that was that. It's hard to overcome three turnovers and a blocked punt against any team. It's impossible to overcome it against Alabama, especially when they can just pin their ears back and send five future NFL defensive linemen after your QB, knowing there's no chance of you running the ball.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

I'm surprised that Auburn did not play better on offense against Clemson. I guess it could be the scheme and the fact they they are pretty much one dimensional. I was suprised that they did not win after holding the national champs to 14 points.
    “Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

8. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    They made five bad plays in the third quarter and that was that. It's hard to overcome three turnovers and a blocked punt against any team. It's impossible to overcome it against Alabama, especially when they can just pin their ears back and send five future NFL defensive linemen after your QB, knowing there's no chance of you running the ball.
    Yep.......How Saban keeps year after year putting that caliber defense on field is amazing. 2-3 deep again this year. That is hard to beat.

― Jimmy Buffett

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jwil59 View Post
    I'm surprised that Auburn did not play better on offense against Clemson. I guess it could be the scheme and the fact they they are pretty much one dimensional. I was suprised that they did not win after holding the national champs to 14 points.
    I'm not. They've been pretty bad offensively since the NC game against Florida State. It's such a QB-dependent offense that if you don't have a guy like Marshall or Newton to be the triggerman you're pretty much screwed.

12. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

I'm not. They've been pretty bad offensively since the NC game against Florida State. It's such a QB-dependent offense that if you don't have a guy like Marshall or Newton to be the triggerman you're pretty much screwed.
    That makes complete sense to me. Plus that everybody pretty much knows what they are going to do most every play. They seem to run amuck when mazon screams for all the hurry up. I know it cost them one game last year on a mistake made by the center. Malzon is just not that caliber coach if you ask me.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

14. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

That makes complete sense to me. Plus that everybody pretty much knows what they are going to do most every play. They seem to run amuck when mazon screams for all the hurry up. I know it cost them one game last year on a mistake made by the center. Malzon is just not that caliber coach if you ask me.
    Some guys are better suited to be coordinators. Malzahn, Lane Kiffin, Will Muschamp and Charlie Strong all come to mind.

16. Sponsored Links

17. Likes jwil59 liked this post
    My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Some guys are better suited to be coordinators. Malzahn, Lane Kiffin, Will Muschamp and Charlie Strong all come to mind.
    I hear you, good point. I hope Kirby Smart don't join that club but he could be another one

― Jimmy Buffett

19. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Florida State deservedly dropped out of the Top 25 after its loss to North Carolina State.

My Nittany Lions certainly did it the hard way in Iowa.

21. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

I am glad that Hand's injury is not that bad and he will only miss a couple games. That was scary for us Bama fans. We seem to be rockin and rollin like always. Roll Tide yall!!
    ― Jimmy Buffett

23. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Exhausted
    Ideology
    Crusty Conservative
    Post Like Stats

I am glad that Hand's injury is not that bad and he will only miss a couple games. That was scary for us Bama fans. We seem to be rockin and rollin like always. Roll Tide yall!!
    Looking like a re-re-match.

Go Tigers!
    If Peeing Your Pants Is Cool Consider Me Miles Davis

25. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by gwhughes View Post
    Looking like a re-re-match.

Go Tigers!
    It would/will be another great game. I dunno that we will get that far this time though. Auburn is looking really good and we have them in Auburn. Of course that is assuming we don't lose a game before then. This week at A & M will be rough sledding with Hand still out.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

27. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

It would/will be another great game. I dunno that we will get that far this time though. Auburn is looking really good and we have them in Auburn. Of course that is assuming we don't lose a game before then. This week at A & M will be rough sledding with Hand still out.
    Stop it. Auburn couldn’t score on a drunk freshman at a frat party. A&M can score on UCLA, but UCLA has maybe one guy who looks like a legitimate NFL prospect on defense…Alabama has 22.

29. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Too bad that Florida State likely will not be able to reschedule Louisiana-Monroe.

They need five victories to become bowl eligible and losing that patsy game makes it a whole lot harder.

Pretty sad. They start the season ranked #2 and now it is even questionable whether they will be bowl eligible.

They must win 5 of their 7 remaining games.

Next game up is Duke,which they should be able to win.
    Then Louisville, which they should be able to win.
    They should beat Boston College, who has been unimpressive.
    Ditto for Syracuse.

Then comes November 11, which Florida State might just as well pencil in as a loss right now.

November 18, they can probably pencil in as a win. (Delaware State).

November 25, they play the Gators at the Swamp and I would heavily favor the Gators.

If it goes the way I think, their final record would be 6-5 or barely bowl eligible.

But if they blow even one game in the next four game stretch, they will be sitting at home during bowl season.

Losing that Louisiana Monroe game to cancellation really hurts, as it would have given them an additional victory and a safety margin.

31. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

It looks like Florida State's season will effectively end today, as they are trailing Louisville 28 to 14 in the fourth quarter

A loss would make it virtually impossible for them to become bowl eligible this season.

It would break a streak of bowl appearances dating back to the 1982 season, when they appeared in the Gator Bowl

33. Sponsored Links