; 2017 College Football Thread

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 2017 College Football Thread

Is Florida State the best of the ACC this year and a National Championship contender?

We shall definitely get a good indication on Saturday evening, when Florida State plays at Alabama.

If Florida State can defeat the Crimson Tide at home, they would become a heavy favorite to win the National Championship.

If Florida State loses, I think they still are the class of the ACC and can still make it into the playoffs.

Meanwhile, while FSU is in Alabama, Clemson will be playing that perennial powerhouse, Kent State.

2. Sponsored Links

Even though its football I still struggle to muster up a care over such a rigged system until they institute a real playoff. Its getting better, a four team playoff is better than the old system, but we need at a bare minimum an 8 team playoff and better yet a 12 team playoff where the the top 4 seeds as determined by the BCS rankings get a first week bye. That leaves the polls relevant while creating a large enough field for mid major cinderellas to get a shot.

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Even though its football I still struggle to muster up a care over such a rigged system until they institute a real playoff. Its getting better, a four team playoff is better than the old system, but we need at a bare minimum an 8 team playoff and better yet a 12 team playoff where the the top 4 seeds as determined by the BCS rankings get a first week bye. That leaves the polls relevant while creating a large enough field for mid major cinderellas to get a shot.
    I think we will eventually reach that point with time.

However, I like the college game regardless of what the road to the National Championship entails. Frankly, I like watching the various Conference Championship battles and the many good rivalries that exist in college football.

Plus, in many ways, it is a different game from professional football and I like the different style of play between college and professional.

I will be sending a few posts from Happy Valley next week when Pitt visits.

6. Sponsored Links

Just noting Florida's loss to Michigan with glee.

33 to 17.

The big game coming up shortly.

8. Sponsored Links

Well, Florida State is out of the National Championship picture, with their quarterback gone with what appears to be a season ending injury.

But even before the injury happened, the meltdown that occurred in the second half indicates that Florida State has other serious deficiencies that need to be dealt with.

Clemson is now the favorite for the Conference Championship and frankly I don't even know if Florida State will make it to the Conference Championship game.

I had been led to believe Florida State had an outstanding team for this season, but that is clearly not the case.

10. Sponsored Links

I bet UNLV wants to crawl in a deep hole and disappear after getting beat by HOWARD!!! in the biggest upset in college football history, at least from a points spread angle.

12. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

The alma mater managed a lackluster win against New Mexico State on Thursday. Might be lucky to see a .500 season.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato

14. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    I wish it was 8 too. That way Bama would never be out of it.
    “Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

16. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Well my friends and neighbors those Alabama ass-whippings have officially commenced for the year.

Fresno State is next up and they won their first game like 66-0. That will be turned on them this Saturday.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
    ― Jimmy Buffett

18. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Safiel View Post
    Well, Florida State is out of the National Championship picture, with their quarterback gone with what appears to be a season ending injury.

But even before the injury happened, the meltdown that occurred in the second half indicates that Florida State has other serious deficiencies that need to be dealt with.

Clemson is now the favorite for the Conference Championship and frankly I don't even know if Florida State will make it to the Conference Championship game.

I had been led to believe Florida State had an outstanding team for this season, but that is clearly not the case.
    Maybe that had something to do with the team they were playing against, huh?

They, Florida State, do have a good defense I think, but I agree that injury is catastrophic. Bama is a step above everybody else. Did you see the shot they showed of the press box and all those analysts we have hired. I don't see how that is even legal but.....................

There was a question in Nick's presser this week about his making 11 million this year. he says he is not worth that much but don't worry about it anymore.

Last edited by jwil59; September 7th, 2017 at 10:30 pm.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

20. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by jwil59 View Post
    Maybe that had something to do with the team they were playing against, huh?

<snipped>
    Alabama or not, if Florida State had the quality that had previously claimed, they would have at least kept it close until the very end. The fact that they collapsed indicates just as much that Florida State has serious deficiencies as it does Alabama's quality.

22. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Alabama or not, if Florida State had the quality that had previously claimed, they would have at least kept it close until the very end. The fact that they collapsed indicates just as much that Florida State has serious deficiencies as it does Alabama's quality.
    I really liked their defense, especially in the 1st half. They didn't totally break down in the 2nd half, Bama just adjusted. We are one of the best teams at making adjustments and talking what they give.

I really like Jimbo Fisher as well. I am hoping either he or Dabo will follow Nick. Probably Dabo since he played here.
    ― Jimmy Buffett

24. Sponsored Links

I've always wondered about the mentality of kids who go to schools like Alabama where they know its most likely they'll just be stuck being a bench warmer most of their career. You don't get recruited by Alabama unless you were pretty good but unless your the elite of the elite vs just being elite your probably not going to be a starter at Bama. Whereas you could probably go to another school and play. Maybe not have as good a shot at a championship but you would at least play.

I remember some NFL QB saying basically just this. He got recruited by a number of schools coming out of high school but he chose a lesser school vs the elite one because he knew he'd have a chance to play at the lesser school (still Division I but not one of the major schools) vs riding the bench for years at the elite one. It worked for him because he went on to the NFL. I wanna say it was Drew Brees but I can't recall for sure.
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; September 8th, 2017 at 4:43 pm.

26. Sponsored Links

My Tar Heels have started their season off on the wrong foot ... 0-2.
    <a href=http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608031553965526461&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0 target=_blank>http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608...d=1.9&rs=0&p=0</a>

28. Sponsored Links

I don't think they're out of it. Blackmon is a serious talent, and their defense is going to keep them in every game. All they need to do is block for Blackmon and Akers and they could win out...I'm still on board. Clemson has a new QB as well, and a lot of Louisville's flaws were exposed late last season.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

30. Sponsored Links