Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Default Texas suffers another redistricting setback

https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/...r_08.15.17.pdf (Link to the 107 page memorandum and order of the three judge panel.)

Case is Perez v Abbott. The case is being tried in the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, San Antonio Division, before United States Circuit Judge Jerry Edwin Smith, sitting by designation, Chief United States District Judge Orlando Luis Garcia and United States District Judge Xavier Rodriguez.

At issue is the Congressional District Map, this being Texas's fourth try. Only two Districts were found in violation, Congressional Districts 27 and 35.

The panel has given Texas three days to answer as to whether they intend to fix the problem themselves. If not, the courts will hold a hearing in September and appoint a Special Master to do the job.

While this likely will not result in pre-clearance, it is just another straw being added to the camel's back. Texas is not very far from breaking the camel's back and going into pre-clearance.

2. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by InternetsEscapeGoat View Post
    Maybe this one will show you that comprehension is not your strong suit.
    Nope. I got it exactly right. By staying (reversing the hold by the lower court) they said Texas could go ahead and make plans based on current districts.
    Brennan on evidence of collusion: "I don't do evidence"

4. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Ecstatic
    Post Like Stats

No one can look at the Texas distracting maps and say that it makes sense.

Some were literally drawn with crayon by interns.
    @seanhannity
    When will
    @HillaryClinton be indicted?
    6:04 PM - 27 Oct 2017

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DougBH View Post
    Nope. I got it exactly right. By staying (reversing the hold by the lower court) they said Texas could go ahead and make plans based on current districts.
    Don't lie. Your post clearly said they were told they could go ahead with redistricting. They cannot.

You still can't get it right. (meaning you can't even comprehend what you wrote)

8. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Don't lie. Your post clearly said they were told they could go ahead with redistricting. They cannot.

You still can't get it right. (meaning you can't even comprehend what you wrote)
    Actually, there is no redistricting for the state to do, so your statement is nonsense. The lower court was ordering them to come up with a new redistricting plan instead of using the old one (which the court itself had previously created). The Supreme Court said that they did not have to do so, reversing the ruling of the lower court. So my statement was indeed inaccurate in that Texas will not go ahead with any redistricting but use the current districts...unless a final decision and appeal are done pretty quick as 2018 elections cant be redrawn at the last minute.

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Post Like Stats

Actually, there is no redistricting for the state to do, so your statement is nonsense. <snip>
    If that's the case then your statement was nonsense.

Here Doug... what does that bolded part right there say buddy?
    Update: In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court reversed the decision of the lower court and told Texas it could go ahead with its redistricting as planned.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/u...ting-maps.html

12. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Irritated
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Because politics would never have anything to do with it if Washington were involved.

Of course the could leave it up to judges. BTW...all Republican appointed judges voted one way and all Democrat appointed judges voted the other way. Coincidence, of course.

The tables will turn on your willy nilly little head and all the insistence you had will be food for the gander...and I will be laughing at you more than I do now with the same measurement of contempt
    600 Americans Wounded or killed at a Country Music Festival gunned down with heavy artillery by an American Citizen in a Las Vegas Hotel. Melania looks hot on the Oval Office rug.

14. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

They will reap what they sow either way.

16. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Safiel View Post
    https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/...r_08.15.17.pdf (Link to the 107 page memorandum and order of the three judge panel.)

Case is Perez v Abbott. The case is being tried in the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, San Antonio Division, before United States Circuit Judge Jerry Edwin Smith, sitting by designation, Chief United States District Judge Orlando Luis Garcia and United States District Judge Xavier Rodriguez.

At issue is the Congressional District Map, this being Texas's fourth try. Only two Districts were found in violation, Congressional Districts 27 and 35.

The panel has given Texas three days to answer as to whether they intend to fix the problem themselves. If not, the courts will hold a hearing in September and appoint a Special Master to do the job.

While this likely will not result in pre-clearance, it is just another straw being added to the camel's back. Texas is not very far from breaking the camel's back and going into pre-clearance.
    A few things left out of your usually concise post. The voting maps in question were drawn up by the same court and Texas agreed to follow in three elections and now that same court objects to them on Constitutional grounds.
    There is something seriously wrong when a court rejects its own rulings.

18. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

If that's the case then your statement was nonsense.

Here Doug... what does that bolded part right there say buddy?
    You have copied only parts of my post. What it proves is that you can copy parts of my post and then paraphrase the rest to make it look like you had a thought.

And you have added exactly zero relevant information regarding this topic. Only little snipes.
    Last edited by DougBH; September 14th, 2017 at 6:50 am.

20. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Remus View Post
    The tables will turn on your willy nilly little head and all the insistence you had will be food for the gander...and I will be laughing at you more than I do now with the same measurement of contempt
    Actually, the reverse is what happened. Until Republicans took control of the legislature in Texas, Democrats and Democrat judges were fine with gerrymandering. Then, when it was no longer the Dems who were doing it, it became a great political sin.

22. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Post Like Stats

You have copied only parts of my post. What it proves is that you can copy parts of my post and then paraphrase the rest to make it look like you had a thought.

And you have added exactly zero relevant information regarding this topic. Only little snipes.
    Are you okay Doug? Everyone can see that that was your entire post that I pasted there complete with link.

I'm sorry you feel sniped, but it was important to me to point out that your post had inaccurate information about the decision.

24. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Are you okay Doug? Everyone can see that that was your entire post that I pasted there complete with link.

I'm sorry you feel sniped, but it was important to me to point out that your post had inaccurate information about the decision.
    What you posted:
    Actually, there is no redistricting for the state to do, so your statement is nonsense. <snip>
    What I posted:

Actually, there is no redistricting for the state to do, so your statement is nonsense. The lower court was ordering them to come up with a new redistricting plan instead of using the old one (which the court itself had previously created). The Supreme Court said that they did not have to do so, reversing the ruling of the lower court. So my statement was indeed inaccurate in that Texas will not go ahead with any redistricting but use the current districts...unless a final decision and appeal are done pretty quick as 2018 elections cant be redrawn at the last minute.
    Yeah, I can see how important it was for you to post the entire post I had made.

And then you especially leave out where I pointed out the one part of my initial post that was inaccurate and pretend you caught it yourself.

And all this to what?...boost your ego by indicating you think you found a mistake in my post? With nothing of substance whatever to add to the discussion. Only "I gotcha", which you didn't.

26. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Democratic Party
    Post Like Stats

What you posted:

What I posted:

Yeah, I can see how important it was for you to post the entire post I had made.

And then you especially leave out where I pointed out the one part of my initial post that was inaccurate and pretend you caught it yourself.

And all this to what?...boost your ego by indicating you think you found a mistake in my post? With nothing of substance whatever to add to the discussion. Only "I gotcha", which you didn't.
    Oh for ****s sake... That is not the post that you quoted when you made your comment about grabbing part of your post.

The rest of your dribble was not important to my point in the post back when I did that and changed nothing. I did catch it fool.... That is the reason that I posted to you in the first place. Really man, you okay?

Keep crying snowflake... you came in here lying about the ruling and the only important thing is that everyone knows it now.

And yeah, that was substantive to point out. Next time just be honest from the start chief.
    Last edited by InternetsEscapeGoat; September 14th, 2017 at 4:55 pm.

28. Sponsored Links

Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtInTheMiddle View Post
    This whole Trump era of America reminds me of the dirty college football programs over the years.

Our coach cheats on multiple wives, it's okay if he wins.

Our administrators gerrymander, it's okay if it wins us recruits (politicians).

Our team potentially colluded with another team to cheat, well it's not technically illegal.

Our coach is a horrible role model, who cares if we get Ws.

Our coach cheats people out of money, well he insults our hated rival so more power to him.

Our assistant coaches have been doing questionable things, well everybody does it.

Our Coach has a hot wife. Hell yeah!
    ha...
    I read the first couple lines and said... yup... caughtinthe...

I predict YOU will cheat on your wife.

Friedrich W. Nietzsche — "Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster."

your posts reveal who you are.

30. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Oh for ****s sake... That is not the post that you quoted when you made your comment about grabbing part of your post.

The rest of your dribble was not important to my point in the post back when I did that and changed nothing. I did catch it fool.... That is the reason that I posted to you in the first place. Really man, you okay?

Keep crying snowflake... you came in here lying about the ruling and the only important thing is that everyone knows it now.

And yeah, that was substantive to point out. Next time just be honest from the start chief.
    You have a problem with reality. Go stalk someone else.

32. Sponsored Links