Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Like Stats

Default Which Bible stories do you find most problematic?

It seems to me many people quote the implausible story of Noah’s Ark as one of the reasons for their loss of faith.

2. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrown View Post
    Adam had more than three sons. He begot many children.
    Too bad God drowned almost all of them and/or their kids.

4. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Rightwing Nutjob
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    It seems to me many people quote the implausible story of Noah’s Ark as one of the reasons for their loss of faith.
    "The Atonement Doctrine."
    Its all about ritualistic blood sacrifice and torture. It makes no sense at all in regard to forgiveness and there is no relation of the doctrine to anything of a spiritual nature..
    What does make sense is that one of the Apostles invented the doctrine in order to lure Jews of the time into Christianity because blood sacrafice was deeply rooted in their religion.

Noah, similar to the big fish story are real in the sense that there is value and meaning buried in the myth. It just takes a mature mind to interpret the message. If someone looses faith over a Noah like story maybe there was no faith to begin with.

6. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Rx4liberty View Post
    "The Atonement Doctrine."
    Its all about ritualistic blood sacrifice and torture. It makes no sense at all in regard to forgiveness and there is no relation of the doctrine to anything of a spiritual nature..
    What does make sense is that one of the Apostles invented the doctrine in order to lure Jews of the time into Christianity because blood sacrafice was deeply rooted in their religion.
    The doctrine (and the English word) Atonement came to be developed in the mid 1500s. It noted the reconciliation between God and man--and the redemption of mankind. Scripture (nor apparently the Apostles and early Church Fathers) don't mention "atonement". It falls into the category of "Trinity" where people have attached a title to certain teachings found in scripture. The only thing I have against "Atonement" is that I think it has come to overshadow Jesus' own words:

This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you. And... Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant...

God never required a blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins. Where a blood sacrifice was used was in establishing a covenant. The New Covenant (New Testament) was Repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Keep in mind that people in Jesus' day demanded by whose authority he taught this. This was answered both by his cross (his blood) and resurrection. We have a New Covenant (New Testament) with God. Our part: Repent. God's part: Forgiveness.

When we turn away from sin, our lives are redeemed.

8. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Noah, similar to the big fish story are real in the sense that there is value and meaning buried in the myth. It just takes a mature mind to interpret the message. If someone looses faith over a Noah like story maybe there was no faith to begin with.
    I agree. Science is often able to contribute facts to Biblical events. These facts should enable us to better understand the themes and philosophies presented in the stories.

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Rightwing Nutjob
    Post Like Stats

The doctrine (and the English word) Atonement came to be developed in the mid 1500s. It noted the reconciliation between God and man--and the redemption of mankind. Scripture (nor apparently the Apostles and early Church Fathers) don't mention "atonement". It falls into the category of "Trinity" where people have attached a title to certain teachings found in scripture. The only thing I have against "Atonement" is that I think it has come to overshadow Jesus' own words:

This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you. And... Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant...

God never required a blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins. Where a blood sacrifice was used was in establishing a covenant. The New Covenant (New Testament) was Repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

Keep in mind that people in Jesus' day demanded by whose authority he taught this. This was answered both by his cross (his blood) and resurrection. We have a New Covenant (New Testament) with God. Our part: Repent. God's part: Forgiveness.

When we turn away from sin, our lives are redeemed.
    A covenant is very personal, person to person in other words. When put into writing as in the New Testament it becomes a social function based on many opinions which is quite different. The associated rules and dogmas amount to acts of righteousness which the Parable of the Pharisee and the Publican clearly debunks teaching that acts of reghteousness cannot be used to buy favor with God.

12. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

A covenant is very personal, person to person in other words. When put into writing as in the New Testament it becomes a social function based on many opinions which is quite different. The associated rules and dogmas amount to acts of righteousness which the Parable of the Pharisee and the Publican clearly debunks teaching that acts of reghteousness cannot be used to buy favor with God.
    Righteousness cannot be used to buy favor with God for the very simple reason righteousness is what God expects of us. Think of it. We do not drive on the right side of the street to buy favor with the police. We drive on the right side of the street because it is fully expected of us.

14. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Righteousness cannot be used to buy favor with God for the very simple reason righteousness is what God expects of us. Think of it. We do not drive on the right side of the street to buy favor with the police. We drive on the right side of the street because it is fully expected of us.
    no, we drive on the right side of the street to avoid head on collisions on the other side.

16. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by B Actor View Post
    no, we drive on the right side of the street to avoid head on collisions on the other side.
    And, we don't expect people to do this?

18. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

And, we don't expect people to do this?
    Humans can be predicted to generally avoid mutually assured destruction. Head on collisions happen, it's not 100% successful.

20. Sponsored Links