Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default 2017 NFL Season thread

With the Hall of Fame Game coming up Thursday, guess it is time to start this thread.

In the NFC East, I think it is going to be the Giants and Cowboys neck in neck all season with the Eagles and Redskins out of the picture from the very beginning.

Dallas SHOULD win the division over the Giants by the narrowest of margins and probably won't technically clinch until the last week of the season. Giants might go in as the wildcard.

In the AFC East, Patriots. (Duuuuuhhhhhhh). New York Jets suck so badly, they may go 0-16. Bills are out of the picture from the beginning. Dolphins MIGHT have enough to have an outside shot at the lower wildcard slot, probably not but maybe.

More later..
    Last edited by Safiel; August 2nd, 2017 at 11:36 pm. Reason: Changing view regarding Giants

2. Sponsored Links

The NFC East, on the whole one of the weaker divisions this year, plays the AFC West, the strongest division as a whole this year and the NFC West, a strong division this year.

Whoever does win the NFC East, Dallas or New York, will likely do so with a 9-7 season and will likely take a quick exit from the playoffs in the wildcard weekend. After being brutalized this season, neither the Cowboys or Giants will last long in the playoffs.

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Safiel View Post
    The NFC East, on the whole one of the weaker divisions this year, plays the AFC West, the strongest division as a whole this year and the NFC West, a strong division this year.

Whoever does win the NFC East, Dallas or New York, will likely do so with a 9-7 season and will likely take a quick exit from the playoffs in the wildcard weekend. After being brutalized this season, neither the Cowboys or Giants will last long in the playoffs.
    The NFC West might be the worst division in football, depending on whether the AFC South improves. I don't think Arizona will be good, LA and the 49ers look awful based on what they did last year combined with their off-seasons, and Seattle isn't that great either.

Overall, this could be one of those years where an 11-5 team snags a bye in the NFC. I haven't done my usual "pick each game" thing yet, but I'm not holding out high hopes for any NFC team.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

6. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    The NFC West might be the worst division in football, depending on whether the AFC South improves. I don't think Arizona will be good, LA and the 49ers look awful based on what they did last year combined with their off-seasons, and Seattle isn't that great either.

Overall, this could be one of those years where an 11-5 team snags a bye in the NFC. I haven't done my usual "pick each game" thing yet, but I'm not holding out high hopes for any NFC team.
    I agree. The Rams and 49ers are garbage. Arizona might be slightly better than average with a healthy Palmer, and the Seahawks are not who they use to be. Did they get that OL fixed?

The NFC North. Besides Green Bay if any team has 7 wins i'll be surprised.

The NFC South. I'm not even going to try to predict this, every team in the Div. has good potential.

The NFC East. Hard to predict this too. I'd say the Giants but they have no run game and didn't upgrade their OL. This Div. is a toss up IMO.

The AFC East. This is the year Miami makes a run. If Cutler stays healthy they will be challenging the Pats. No one else is in the division.

AFC North. Pittsburgh will win the division. The rest of the teams are poor to average, and that's with a healthy Flacco.

AFC South. Watch out for Tennessee, this may be their break out year. The dark horse in this Div. are the Texans. This doesn't happen often, but if teams fall behind late in the game it will be hard to catch up against that defensive line. If they get their offense in gear they will be tough to beat.

The AFC West. Probably the most over rated Div. in the league. There's one good team, the Raiders. The rest are average at best.

8. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Toll Collector View Post
    I agree. The Rams and 49ers are garbage. Arizona might be slightly better than average with a healthy Palmer, and the Seahawks are not who they use to be. Did they get that OL fixed?

The NFC North. Besides Green Bay if any team has 7 wins i'll be surprised.

The NFC South. I'm not even going to try to predict this, every team in the Div. has good potential.

The NFC East. Hard to predict this too. I'd say the Giants but they have no run game and didn't upgrade their OL. This Div. is a toss up IMO.

The AFC East. This is the year Miami makes a run. If Cutler stays healthy they will be challenging the Pats. No one else is in the division.

AFC North. Pittsburgh will win the division. The rest of the teams are poor to average, and that's with a healthy Flacco.

AFC South. Watch out for Tennessee, this may be their break out year. The dark horse in this Div. are the Texans. This doesn't happen often, but if teams fall behind late in the game it will be hard to catch up against that defensive line. If they get their offense in gear they will be tough to beat.

The AFC West. Probably the most over rated Div. in the league. There's one good team, the Raiders. The rest are average at best.
    I think Minnesota's defense is on another level. If Bradford can be average and Cook is 80% of what he was in college they're winning 10. They get the NFC South (probably a split), the AFC North (at least two wins there), the Lions and Bears (I'm thinking at least 3-1). Their 3rd-place matching games are Washington (win) and the Rams (win)...split with Green Bay and there's your ten. And I'm probably being conservative against the AFC North...with Flacco missing time and their defense turning over some talent I'm not sure the Ravens are going to be good, and while Cincinnati might be good enough for an AFC wild-card I'm not sure that's saying a lot.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

10. Sponsored Links

11. Likes Toll Collector liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    I think Minnesota's defense is on another level. If Bradford can be average and Cook is 80% of what he was in college they're winning 10. They get the NFC South (probably a split), the AFC North (at least two wins there), the Lions and Bears (I'm thinking at least 3-1). Their 3rd-place matching games are Washington (win) and the Rams (win)...split with Green Bay and there's your ten. And I'm probably being conservative against the AFC North...with Flacco missing time and their defense turning over some talent I'm not sure the Ravens are going to be good, and while Cincinnati might be good enough for an AFC wild-card I'm not sure that's saying a lot.
    You know, I was thinking I might be wrong with Minnesota, and sure enough someone is quick to bring it up. I was just not convinced about their defense. What passes today for a good D in the NFL leaves a lot to be desired. But you may very well be spot on with this one.

13. Sponsored Links

You know, I was thinking I might be wrong with Minnesota, and sure enough someone is quick to bring it up. I was just not convinced about their defense. What passes today for a good D in the NFL leaves a lot to be desired. But you may very well be spot on with this one.
    They've got a top-5 line, top-10 LB's and a top-10 secondary. The only other defenses I'd include in the conversation with them are New England, Denver, Seattle, Philly and (I can't believe I'm saying this) the Giants.

15. Sponsored Links

Updating. With the six game suspension of Ezekiel Elliott, the Dallas Cowboys are now completely out of the picture, both for the division and for the wildcard. New York Giants will win the NFL East, but will probably not go very far in the playoffs.

17. Sponsored Links

Uggh, Miami's 2nd rd draft pick, RaeKwon Miller, and likely starting LB tore his ACL on special teams last night. Out for the year.

Jarvis Landry is being investigated for domestic violence which may mean a suspension.

While not official, Tannehill is probably out for the season and maybe forever as a Dolphin since the Dolphins owe him nothing next year and could move on. Though if they keep him they only owe him $18 million which is pocket change for a mid level QB like Tanny.

Cutler isn't too much of a downgrade over Tannehill since he played recently for Gase and knows the offense but he's still Cutler. Better than than the alternatives though of Kaepersuck, RGIII, Christian Ponder, etc.

We'll do better than the Jets but it wouldn't shock me if Buffalo finished 2nd in the division.

19. Sponsored Links

Updating. With the six game suspension of Ezekiel Elliott, the Dallas Cowboys are now completely out of the picture, both for the division and for the wildcard. New York Giants will win the NFL East, but will probably not go very far in the playoffs.
    Heh heh heh,

I'm glad I saw you post this because I just rushed out and grabbed Darren McFadden on my co-worker pay fantasy league. The guy who owns Ezekiel, who just happens to be my newly promoted supervisor, is going to be cranky. LMAO

21. Sponsored Links

22. Likes Dr. Funkenstein liked this post

Zeke was just the icing on the cake. Dallas have multiple players out on injury or suspension. Multiple DL, a LB, and a few defensive backs. They'll be lucky to start 2-4. Games against the Rams and 49ers will be going down to the wire.

This is provided this appeals process and sure to be a court case doesn't drag it out to mid season.

24. Sponsored Links

Zeke was just the icing on the cake. Dallas have multiple players out on injury or suspension. Multiple DL, a LB, and a few defensive backs. They'll be lucky to start 2-4. Games against the Rams and 49ers will be going down to the wire.

This is provided this appeals process and sure to be a court case doesn't drag it out to mid season.
    Even with a bunch of missing players, they still are better than the 49er's.

26. Sponsored Links

Even with a bunch of missing players, they still are better than the 49er's.
    That still makes them 1-5. When you lose that many starters, you will notice the difference. This team is not that far removed from 2015. Dak had major help last season. He's losing a lot of it. Let's not forget, Dallas has a left guard/right tackle problem too. This team is not deep enough to overcome the losses. I'm guessing they go 4-12 to 6-10. Not much better than the 49ers.

28. Sponsored Links

That still makes them 1-5. When you lose that many starters, you will notice the difference. This team is not that far removed from 2015. Dak had major help last season. He's losing a lot of it. Let's not forget, Dallas has a left guard/right tackle problem too. This team is not deep enough to overcome the losses. I'm guessing they go 4-12 to 6-10. Not much better than the 49ers.
    The 49ers are likely 0-16 to 2-14 quality. Dallas will probably do 6-10. So still way better than the 49ers, who will just plain suck this season.

30. Sponsored Links

The 49ers are likely 0-16 to 2-14 quality. Dallas will probably do 6-10. So still way better than the 49ers, who will just plain suck this season.
    I just heard them last night describe them as "The new look 49ers". Did they change their uniforms?

32. Sponsored Links

Not suggesting by any means the 49ers are going to win even 5 games but they do have two games against the Rams and then games against the Bears, Chargers, Jaguars, and Colts. The Chargers are snakebit as usual with injuries and how much longer can Rivers carry them? Andrew Luck still can't throw a football (injury reasons) and its starting to get the point one wonders if he'll even play this season, without him the game is winnable by the 49ers.

No matter what though they are unlikely to be the worst team in the NFL as that will probably be the Jets. Their starting QB, whoever they settle on, will be dreadful. Their top WR would be a #4 at best on most teams. Their RB's are old or nothing special. On defense except for DT they suck. If any teams goes 0-16 it will be them though I have confidence in my Dolphins to bungle a game to them.

34. Sponsored Links