2017 NFL Season thread - Page 44

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Default 2017 NFL Season thread

With the Hall of Fame Game coming up Thursday, guess it is time to start this thread.

In the NFC East, I think it is going to be the Giants and Cowboys neck in neck all season with the Eagles and Redskins out of the picture from the very beginning.

Dallas SHOULD win the division over the Giants by the narrowest of margins and probably won't technically clinch until the last week of the season. Giants might go in as the wildcard.

In the AFC East, Patriots. (Duuuuuhhhhhhh). New York Jets suck so badly, they may go 0-16. Bills are out of the picture from the beginning. Dolphins MIGHT have enough to have an outside shot at the lower wildcard slot, probably not but maybe.

More later..
    Last edited by Safiel; August 2nd, 2017 at 11:36 pm. Reason: Changing view regarding Giants

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    Along the lines of the conversation joanne and I are having, I'd be curious whether a Super Bowl without the Patriots would automatically mean a drop in ratings. I think people would tune in for the novelty of seeing a team claim its first Super Bowl trophy. If the Jags manage to upset New England we're guaranteed that.
    I agree. Apparently the Vikings game got 35 million viewers for Fox, at least in the later stages.

Could be many people are hungry for some new teams winning the playoffs and then being in the SB.

Plus as right side has said, the SB is a huge social event anyway, regardless of who is playing.

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McAlpine View Post
    I have never seen a professional football player EVER try to tackle like that, and I've watched a lot of football.

It looks like he did his best to miss Diggs entirely.

I really do wonder if the gamblers didn't visit a few of the Saints and say, Hey, if there's an opportunity to make sure your team loses the game...take it
    tinfoil_hat_area.jpg

Stand up, we will not be moved/except by a child with no socks and shoes
    If you've got more to give than you've got to prove/put your hands up and I'll copy you

6. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    Yeah, somehow I doubt the Saints intentionally lost that game. Especially after coming back in such an epic fashion after being very outplayed in the first half.

Anyway, I felt really bad for Marcus Williams last night. A lot of people on twitter were either heavily criticizing him or mocking. The guy felt bad enough as it was, without needing a pile on from social media. He's just a kid too, and in his rookie year.

My guess is he was wanting to avoid taking a holding or pass interference penalty, which could have set the Vikings up for a FG. He played it far too safe as it turned out and it backfired on him.

Anyway, it's still not the worst play I've seen in playoff games. The very worst has to be the Russell Wilson interception at the last few seconds of the SB game, which handed the win to the Brady Bunch.

It wasn't Wilson who made the call, Pete Carroll took responsibility, but I'm sorry, he should have refused to do something so bone headed.

Anyway, it prevented back to back SB wins for the Seahawks, and it could be a long time before they get a crack at another one.
    Trump 2013: Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.

8. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Don't mock the Tin Foil Hat! It is very powerful!
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."
    "Everyone's important to somebody."

10. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by itsjoanne View Post
    Yeah, somehow I doubt the Saints intentionally lost that game. Especially after coming back in such an epic fashion after being very outplayed in the first half.
    I'm not accusing *all* the Saints of deliberately losing the game.... but with all the gambling going on in sports do you think it beyond the bounds of probability that mobsters don't visit one or two players and say, "Hey...we need to meet the spread." (Or whatever they have to do, I'm not a gambler.)

But, come on, in 40 years of watching football I've never seen a football player do what this guy did - even if he wanted to avoid getting some kind of penalty. Have any of you?

And yeah...how could a gambler know this guy would be *the* one who'd have to muff a play. I know I know.

But the way he missed that tackle was just way too bizarre.
    "Let joy and innocence prevail."
    "Everyone's important to somebody."

12. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Alex McAlpine View Post
    I'm not accusing *all* the Saints of deliberately losing the game.... but with all the gambling going on in sports do you think it beyond the bounds of probability that mobsters don't visit one or two players and say, "Hey...we need to meet the spread." (Or whatever they have to do, I'm not a gambler.)

But, come on, in 40 years of watching football I've never seen a football player do what this guy did - even if he wanted to avoid getting some kind of penalty. Have any of you?

And yeah...how could a gambler know this guy would be *the* one who'd have to muff a play. I know I know.

But the way he missed that tackle was just way too bizarre.

Well if you saw the look on many Saint's faces, as well as heard any post game interviews with Marcus, either they are extremely good actors or they came into Minneapolis with every intention of winning, right down to the last second.

I really think people are over analysing this. Yes, it was a huge mistake on Marcus's part, but players regularly have to make split second decisions.

Diggs also made the decision to head for the end zone and that no Saint would be able to catch him. If he'd been tackled in bounds at the 10 yard line the game would have been over.

Now I'm not certain if Diggs had been brought down out of bounds if the Vikings would have had a chance at a FG or not, as time was up. However, I'm quite certain a game cannot end with a penalty, so if Marcus or another Saints player had received one there would have been at least one more play.

Anyway, I'm still thrilled for the Vikings and hope the magic will continue this Sunday. One thing is certain, whoever represents the NFC at the SB will be a team that has yet to win one.
    Trump 2013: Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.

14. Sponsored Links

That's exactly who I'd like in the SB too. Saying I think the Pats are going to win it all doesn't mean I hope it happens. Nothing against the Brady Bunch, except I'm tired of them winning year after year.

They are headed to their 7th straight AFC championship. It's the 12th overall for Brady. That's a record that might never be broken.
    Both will probably never be broken. I think the Raiders came an immaculate reception away from 6 in a row. Several other teams have 4.

16. Sponsored Links

Well if you saw the look on many Saint's faces, as well as heard any post game interviews with Marcus, either they are extremely good actors or they came into Minneapolis with every intention of winning, right down to the last second.

I really think people are over analysing this. Yes, it was a huge mistake on Marcus's part, but players regularly have to make split second decisions.

Diggs also made the decision to head for the end zone and that no Saint would be able to catch him. If he'd been tackled in bounds at the 10 yard line the game would have been over.

Now I'm not certain if Diggs had been brought down out of bounds if the Vikings would have had a chance at a FG or not, as time was up. However, I'm quite certain a game cannot end with a penalty, so if Marcus or another Saints player had received one there would have been at least one more play.

Anyway, I'm still thrilled for the Vikings and hope the magic will continue this Sunday. One thing is certain, whoever represents the NFC at the SB will be a team that has yet to win one.
    It was a bizarre way to miss a tackle. My thinking is that he thought he was arriving too early and tried to delay the hit but missed completely? Because he purposely moved left.

Looking at the video it appears the Vikings had one timeout left. If Diggs gets taken down at the spot of the catch there's still 4 seconds left at the 33 or 32 yard line. They could probably have a timeout called before time expired.

18. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Toll Collector View Post
    It was a bizarre way to miss a tackle. My thinking is that he thought he was arriving too early and tried to delay the hit but missed completely? Because he purposely moved left.

Looking at the video it appears the Vikings had one timeout left. If Diggs gets taken down at the spot of the catch there's still 4 seconds left at the 33 or 32 yard line. They could probably have a timeout called before time expired.
    They did not have a time out. If he was tackled in bounds the game was done.
    My Paul Ryan Marathon time is: 1:51:51

20. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    They did not have a time out. If he was tackled in bounds the game was done.
    I was just looking at the replay and it appeared to show one left. Maybe they just didn't take it away quick enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzRRi2QcSEM

What's that yellow line over the 23? I know it's usually under the team name, but what is that yellow line indicating?
    Last edited by Toll Collector; January 16th, 2018 at 11:53 am.

22. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Toll Collector View Post

Minnesota had used their last timeout with 18 seconds left, after Keenum hit Diggs for 19 yards to the 39. If Williams tackles Diggs inbounds, game's over.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400999180

Stand up, we will not be moved/except by a child with no socks and shoes
    If you've got more to give than you've got to prove/put your hands up and I'll copy you

24. Sponsored Links

You guys are right. The yellow line at the top indicated possession.

26. Sponsored Links

Minnesota had used their last timeout with 18 seconds left, after Keenum hit Diggs for 19 yards to the 39. If Williams tackles Diggs inbounds, game's over.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400999180
    Yeah, which makes me think Williams really wanted to avoid a penalty, as that would have stopped the clock and given the Vikings another chance. It literally was the Vikings very last chance with that play, Diggs was running into the end zone with no time left.

28. Sponsored Links