Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Default 2017 NFL Season thread

With the Hall of Fame Game coming up Thursday, guess it is time to start this thread.

In the NFC East, I think it is going to be the Giants and Cowboys neck in neck all season with the Eagles and Redskins out of the picture from the very beginning.

Dallas SHOULD win the division over the Giants by the narrowest of margins and probably won't technically clinch until the last week of the season. Giants might go in as the wildcard.

In the AFC East, Patriots. (Duuuuuhhhhhhh). New York Jets suck so badly, they may go 0-16. Bills are out of the picture from the beginning. Dolphins MIGHT have enough to have an outside shot at the lower wildcard slot, probably not but maybe.

More later..
    Last edited by Safiel; August 2nd, 2017 at 11:36 pm. Reason: Changing view regarding Giants

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Soldier View Post
    I feel bad for Wentz too- they were having a great year- and him personally. If the Steelers donít do well I like to root for the Eagles- different divisions, they donít play each other often, same state.
    Yes it really is too bad. He was on track for MVP too.

Anyway, he'll be back, unfortunately just not this season.

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Phew. Fins hold them to a FG and then the Pats try the most bizarro onside kick I've ever seen which didn't work. The kicker nudged the ball with foot causing it roll about six yards but it has to go ten. Fins win.
    I absolutely enjoyed that game. I like seeing Tom Brady pout. Plus, he got hit a lot. He doesn't like that at all.

6. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by therightside View Post
    I absolutely enjoyed that game. I like seeing Tom Brady pout. Plus, he got hit a lot. He doesn't like that at all.
    Thats the tried and true formula for beating Brady: pound him into submission.

8. Sponsored Links

Worst thing about this win as a Dolphins fan, sweet as it was, is that once again the Dolphins are playing themselves out of a primo draft spot. They have huge holes on the offensive line, at linebacker, and they need to think about drafting a QB though not necessarily in the 1st round. They have the option of Tannehill for another year at 18 million or start over. I think they roll with Tannehill while drafting a QB with a 2nd or 3rd rd pick and hope he's Drew Brees or Russell Wilson (both were drafted after the 1st rd). But if they were drafting top 5 I think they'd definitely go after Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.

10. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Not at all a Seahawk fan. I'm a long time suffering Dolphins fan. Not old enough to remember the superbowl wins but old enough to remember over 30 years of futility.
    I didn't see them win a SB either. But I did see them play and lose super bowls to Washington and the 49ers. I was rooting for them both times.

From the mid to late 70s both the Cowboys and Dolphins had good season after good season. Even if the teams didn't win a lot of super bowls they were at least fun to watch year in and year out. But these last 22 years have absolutely sucked for the Cowboys. I can remember 3-4 good seasons. Brutal.

12. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by itsjoanne View Post
    Yes it really is too bad. He was on track for MVP too.

Anyway, he'll be back, unfortunately just not this season.
    I don't like the Eagles, obviously. But the last thing I want to see is what happened to Wentz. Same crap with the QB from Houston, his name escapes me now but the league is a lot more boring without the two. Speaking of Wentz, just a few minutes before that fateful play I got a text from my friend telling me Wentz was too reckless.

14. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Toll Collector View Post
    I don't like the Eagles, obviously. But the last thing I want to see is what happened to Wentz. Same crap with the QB from Houston, his name escapes me now but the league is a lot more boring without the two. Speaking of Wentz, just a few minutes before that fateful play I got a text from my friend telling me Wentz was too reckless.
    Deshaun Watson.

And I don't think Wentz got hurt due to recklessness. Nothing was open on that play. And it wasn't the hit that got him - it was when he planted to dive into the end zone.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

16. Sponsored Links

3 more games before the playoffs

Current

NFC - In - PHI, MIN, LA, NO, CAR, ATL. Still alive - SEA (loses tiebreaker to ATL), DET, GB (loses tiebreaker to DET), DAL (loses tiebreaker to GB), ARI (hanging by a thread)
    AFC - In - PIT, NE, JAX, KC, TEN, BUF - Still alive - BAL, LAC, OAK, MIA

Here's what I see happening

NFC
    Philly has the 2nd easiest remaining schedule (@ NYG, vs. OAK, vs. DAL), but just lost a leading MVP candidate. I think their defense and running game can get them at least 2 wins. If Foles is a light version of his 2013 self (27 TD, 2INT), it could be three wins. I think they only need two to get the #1 seed though (Philly holds the "common games" tiebreaker, going 5-0 among common opponents (CAR, WAS, LAR, CHI) vs. 4-1 (Vikings lost to Carolina).

CORRECTION - Philly needs one win and one Vikings loss to clinch the #1 seed.

Minnesota has the easiest schedule (vs. CIN, @ GB, vs. CHI). But I think the Packers will still be in the hunt with Rodgers coming back, so I'd give the Packers that one. More than enough to hang on to a bye though.
    New Orleans has the easiest close for the teams in the South (vs. NYJ, vs. ATL, @ TB). 3-0, moves up to 3rd.
    The Rams have to go to Seattle, then visit a dying Titans team and a frisky 49ers at home to close out. Probably 2-1. I think they hold on to win the West, because I don't think Seattle will beat Dallas, but they drop to the 4th seed.

I think Atlanta goes 2-1 (beats Carolina and Tampa, loses to NO) and picks up the 1st wild-card slot.
    I keep going back and forth over the 6th seed. A lot will depend on whether Philly clinches #1 in week 16. If they do, they sit starters against Dallas. Dallas goes to Oakland (W), and gets Seattle at home (I think that's a win). Playing against Philly's JV, I think Dallas gets to 10-6. Detroit has a shot at 10-6 as well, but they'll need Minnesota to beat the Packers and make playing Rodgers in the finale a dumb move. If Green Bay gets to 10-6, they need Carolina to lose two, because they have the tiebreaker over Seattle AND Dallas. Arizona needs a miracle.

I'm giving the 6th seed to Green Bay, and I'll just have to spend the next month absolutely terrified of him coming to Philly for the divisional round.

AFC

Pittsburgh and New England play for the #1 seed this week at Heinz Field. I'm thinking the Patriots win, because if Baltimore can put up 39 on Pittsburgh, I can only imagine what Brady can do. Pats finish with Buffalo and the Jets and I don't see them losing either, so they get the #1 seed.
    Pittsburgh closes at Houston and at home against Cleveland, so they're getting #2.
    Jacksonville has a 2-game lead for the 3rd spot and hold the tiebreaker over LA...I think they stay.
    Chargers beat KC this week and hold on to win the division.
    Baltimore wins out and gets the 5th seed
    KC, Buffalo and Tennessee all finish 9-7 - KC loses the AFC record tiebreaker, and the Bills beat the Titans in record vs. common opponents (4-0 vs. MIA, OAK, IND vs. 2-2)
    Last edited by Dr. Funkenstein; December 12th, 2017 at 4:03 pm.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

18. Sponsored Links

Thanks Dr Funk that was an interesting read.

20. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by itsjoanne View Post
    Thanks Dr Funk that was an interesting read.
    I look forward to watching all of it fall apart this weekend and having to re-do it next week

22. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    Deshaun Watson.

And I don't think Wentz got hurt due to recklessness. Nothing was open on that play. And it wasn't the hit that got him - it was when he planted to dive into the end zone.
    Yes I know. But he did play a little reckless IMO. Reminded me of Romo and he stuck his nose in there. Sooner or later.......

On the injury, the new turf strikes again. If the league is truly concerned about cutting back on injuries they would replace all of these fields with grass. It won't eliminate them completely, but the turf combined with good cleats allows you to cut much faster.

24. Sponsored Links