Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Default 2017 NFL Season thread

With the Hall of Fame Game coming up Thursday, guess it is time to start this thread.

In the NFC East, I think it is going to be the Giants and Cowboys neck in neck all season with the Eagles and Redskins out of the picture from the very beginning.

Dallas SHOULD win the division over the Giants by the narrowest of margins and probably won't technically clinch until the last week of the season. Giants might go in as the wildcard.

In the AFC East, Patriots. (Duuuuuhhhhhhh). New York Jets suck so badly, they may go 0-16. Bills are out of the picture from the beginning. Dolphins MIGHT have enough to have an outside shot at the lower wildcard slot, probably not but maybe.

More later..
    Last edited by Safiel; August 2nd, 2017 at 11:36 pm. Reason: Changing view regarding Giants

2. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Calm
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Safiel View Post
    Not at all surprised by this mauling in Dallas. Eagles are currently up 37 to 9 in the middle of the 4th Quarter.

A weak offensive line and no running back.

They will be 5 and 5 in a few minutes.

They have four mediocre upcoming opponents, but finish with Seattle and Philadelphia.

I think they can go 4 and 2 down the stretch and finish 9 and 7. Most likely out of the playoffs as teams from the NFC South and West grab the wildcard slots.
    I predicted a 45-10 score on the Dallas forums. Philly will have everything locked up in the last week and will throw that game to Dallas. Seattle lost too many key players. The Raiders are, well, the Raiders. If the Cowboys get their players back, left Tackle and Sean Lee, they can easily go 4-1 or 5-0 throughout. That is if they don't give up and throw in the towel. I'm not saying this because I think they are a great team, just going by their opponents.

4. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Tired
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    Another week, another Cardinals loss.

I miss 2008-2009.
    I feel for Cardinals fans. So close to winning a superbowl and then being one of the favorites to win a a few years later with the best D in football only to have both your starting and backup QB's go down right before the playoffs and lose in the playoffs because of it. Its been 30 years since I've had realistic expectations for my team. Maybe thats easier.

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Devilish
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    I feel for Cardinals fans. So close to winning a superbowl and then being one of the favorites to win a a few years later with the best D in football only to have both your starting and backup QB's go down right before the playoffs and lose in the playoffs because of it. Its been 30 years since I've had realistic expectations for my team. Maybe thats easier.
    I think most of us feel the Kurt Warner years were a small glimpse of excellence in an otherwise consistent display of mediocrity/incompetence. But yes, that Super Bowl loss still stings all the more because we haven't gotten back yet.

Could be worse, I guess - Browns and Bills fans probably read this and say, "Dude, PLEASE."
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato

8. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Tired
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    I think most of us feel the Kurt Warner years were a small glimpse of excellence in an otherwise consistent display of mediocrity/incompetence. But yes, that Super Bowl loss still stings all the more because we haven't gotten back yet.

Could be worse, I guess - Browns and Bills fans probably read this and say, "Dude, PLEASE."
    The Browns have it the worst for sure.

Fire some guy named Bill Belichick who you think is a stiff only to see him go elsewhere and now be a 5 time superbowl champ and arguably the greatest coach of all time.

Lose your team to Baltimore and see them as the Ravens win two superbowls, one not long after fleeing Cleveland.

Ruining every QB you touch and missing out on superstar QB's you could have drafted year after year.

Lucking out one perhaps one of the greatest sheer potential WR's of all time, Josh Gordon, only to have him be unable to stay clean off drugs.

About the only thing good they've done is fleecing Indianapolis for a 1st rd pick for Trent Richardson but they then blew that pick.

Course they are on a hellmouth so it might be understandable.

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Calm
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Are you talking about the Dolphins here? Not since 1984 and 1985 have they had any realistic chance at a championship. If you're old enough to remember, between the years of '84 and '97 the AFC only had one good team, the Bills. The rest of the AFC were mice among men compared to the powerhouses in the NFC. But I will say Miami was pretty good in '84.

12. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Toll Collector View Post
    Are you talking about the Dolphins here? Not since 1984 and 1985 have they had any realistic chance at a championship. If you're old enough to remember, between the years of '84 and '97 the AFC only had one good team, the Bills. The rest of the AFC were mice among men compared to the powerhouses in the NFC. But I will say Miami was pretty good in '84.
    Miami was the #2 seed in '93 if I remember correctly - they hosted the Bills in the AFC title game.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

14. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Toll Collector View Post
    Don't tell that to Cowboys fans, their forums had the Eagles doing well before week 1 kickoff. I was worried about the Giants with the hopes their offensive line would do them in.

I initially thought the Rams would suck going by last season. Then they made a trade and I started looking in on them. That's why I said this....

I bet my friend at work that they'd win the division. He thought I was nuts, but then again, if you're just going to go by last year I can see how he would believe that.

These are the things that have surprised me midway through the season.

Jets and DolphinsI thought the Dolphins would be much better. I thought the Jets would be much worse.

Raiders. I didn't think they were just another version of the Detroit Lions.

Other than that, not much in the AFC surprises me.

Giants. I didn't think they'd quit midway through the season.

49ers. I did not think they would be this bad despite being told repeatedly that they would. I didn't think they'd be good, just not this bad. I thought they'd be Arizona kind of bad.

Other than that nothing else in the NFC stands out.
    The two Cowboys fans I have regular interactions with both had Philly topping out at 7 wins. I was called a homer for giving them 11-5.

In fairness, these are both Philadelphia area-based Cowboys fans. They like to troll. A lot.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

16. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Calm
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    Miami was the #2 seed in '93 if I remember correctly - they hosted the Bills in the AFC title game.
    That was the 1992 season. But yes, that title game was in mid Jan. of '93. I'm not saying Miami didn't have good seasons, a lot of teams had good seasons in the AFC throughout those years. I was saying the Bills were the only team IMO that was close to or as good as some of the NFC powerhouses. Most of those years the SB was over with the NFC Championship game.

18. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Lazy
    Ideology
    Conservative Libertarian
    Post Like Stats

Just have to say the Jaguars' defense continues to impress. Meanwhile, their offense continues to depress.

20. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by therightside View Post
    Just have to say the Jaguars' defense continues to impress. Meanwhile, their offense continues to depress.
    Bortles isn't as bad as the Legion of Gloom Baltimore trotted out at QB in 2000. So you've got that going for you.

22. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Lazy
    Ideology
    Conservative Libertarian
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    Bortles isn't as bad as the Legion of Gloom Baltimore trotted out at QB in 2000. So you've got that going for you.
    That's true. I absolutely remember that season. That's when they were in the same division as the Jaguars. Didn't they have like five games in a row without an offensive TD? I was at one them when they beat the Jags 15-10. Five damn field goals and a couple of them were on turnovers already in field goal range. In fact, I think the their offense lost yardage on one of them, making the kick longer. That offense was laughably bad. At no point during that season did I think they would win the Superbowl. Hell, I thought they'd be one and done in the wild card round.

24. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

That's true. I absolutely remember that season. That's when they were in the same division as the Jaguars. Didn't they have like five games in a row without an offensive TD? I was at one them when they beat the Jags 15-10. Five damn field goals and a couple of them were on turnovers already in field goal range. In fact, I think the their offense lost yardage on one of them, making the kick longer. That offense was laughably bad. At no point during that season did I think they would win the Superbowl. Hell, I thought they'd be one and done in the wild card round.
    Yep. Lost two of them too.

26. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

The NFL is considering letting teams stay in the locker room when the anthem is playing. Something they did prior to 2009, yet Trump and his cult are still whining about it. GROW UP!

28. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

If they host a playoff games, will their "fans" show up?

30. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Lazy
    Ideology
    Conservative Libertarian
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkjetsfan View Post
    If they host a playoff games, will their "fans" show up?
    There are plenty of things to be critical of the Jaguars, but their fan base isn't one of them. They (we) have stuck through ten years of misery, with the last five being particularly bad. Attendance is better than even I thought it would be after all of that. So yes, I suspect a home playoff game would be sold out should they host one. I'll be there. That town is thirsty for a winner.

32. Sponsored Links