2017 NFL Season thread - Page 54

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Default 2017 NFL Season thread

With the Hall of Fame Game coming up Thursday, guess it is time to start this thread.

In the NFC East, I think it is going to be the Giants and Cowboys neck in neck all season with the Eagles and Redskins out of the picture from the very beginning.

Dallas SHOULD win the division over the Giants by the narrowest of margins and probably won't technically clinch until the last week of the season. Giants might go in as the wildcard.

In the AFC East, Patriots. (Duuuuuhhhhhhh). New York Jets suck so badly, they may go 0-16. Bills are out of the picture from the beginning. Dolphins MIGHT have enough to have an outside shot at the lower wildcard slot, probably not but maybe.

More later..
    Last edited by Safiel; August 2nd, 2017 at 11:36 pm. Reason: Changing view regarding Giants

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by 5th WiL View Post
    The answer is very clear. He never had a backup QB who was better than Brady.

Steve Young was better than Montana when the 49ers let him go.

Aaron Rogers was better than Favre when the Packers let him go.
    Well, that's exactly my point, isn't it? If Bill is the genius he's purported to be, he can win with any QB. He did it with Cassel, right?

On a somewhat related note, could it be that NE traded away the wrong QB this time when they dealt Jimmy G? The Patriots have been raping teams for years with this Belichick genius myth, trading away duds for draft picks, but this one may come back to haunt them. And I certainly hope so. They deserve it.

4. Sponsored Links

5. Likes 5th WiL liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by therightside View Post
    And since we're on the subject of Bill's jaw-dropping genius, isn't he a defensive minded coach? Wouldn't a genius, whose particular field of awesomeness is defense, have the Patriots' defense ranked a little higher than 29th? Would the top ten be asking for too much from a genius? They're lucky they had Brady this year or they would have lucky to be 6-10.
    I agree with you on the all mighty genius part. He's a good coach with a top of the line QB. No way he has this success if Brady isn't there. But at the same time, no way Brady has the same success without a good coach and organization. Look at the entire body of work since 2001. This type of success is unparalleled by anyone else. For example, take John Elway or Joe Montana in their prime with Belichick as coach and I think we might see similar results. Even if Brady is better than these guys it's not by much, he's not a god.

As far as Bill being a defensive genius, you still need the personnel. One of my favorite defensive coordinators of all time is Buddy Ryan. But if you didn't give him an all pro defense he got trounced. Your personnel is half the battle.

7. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Toll Collector View Post
    I agree with you on the all mighty genius part. He's a good coach with a top of the line QB. No way he has this success if Brady isn't there. But at the same time, no way Brady has the same success without a good coach and organization. Look at the entire body of work since 2001. This type of success is unparalleled by anyone else. For example, take John Elway or Joe Montana in their prime with Belichick as coach and I think we might see similar results. Even if Brady is better than these guys it's not by much, he's not a god.

As far as Bill being a defensive genius, you still need the personnel. One of my favorite defensive coordinators of all time is Buddy Ryan. But if you didn't give him an all pro defense he got trounced. Your personnel is half the battle.
    Regarding the second paragraph of your post, that's pretty much my entire point with Brady. I've long argued that players are far more important. "Players, not plays" is the saying. So yes, the myth I'm trying to bust is that Bill is some coaching genius that can win with anybody. That simply isn't true.

9. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by therightside View Post
    Regarding the second paragraph of your post, that's pretty much my entire point with Brady. I've long argued that players are far more important. "Players, not plays" is the saying. So yes, the myth I'm trying to bust is that Bill is some coaching genius that can win with anybody. That simply isn't true.
    I think I misunderstood your post. I agree with your assertion completely. If you want to be a successful coach you need impact players. What you do with those impact players is what sets you apart from others.

11. Sponsored Links