; 2017 NFL Season thread

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Default 2017 NFL Season thread

With the Hall of Fame Game coming up Thursday, guess it is time to start this thread.

In the NFC East, I think it is going to be the Giants and Cowboys neck in neck all season with the Eagles and Redskins out of the picture from the very beginning.

Dallas SHOULD win the division over the Giants by the narrowest of margins and probably won't technically clinch until the last week of the season. Giants might go in as the wildcard.

In the AFC East, Patriots. (Duuuuuhhhhhhh). New York Jets suck so badly, they may go 0-16. Bills are out of the picture from the beginning. Dolphins MIGHT have enough to have an outside shot at the lower wildcard slot, probably not but maybe.

More later..
    Last edited by Safiel; August 2nd, 2017 at 11:36 pm. Reason: Changing view regarding Giants

2. Sponsored Links

To continue:

In the AFC North, I think Pittsburgh is marginally the best team, with Baltimore and Cincinnati both in the contest for wildcard slots. Cleveland is never a factor.

In the NFC North, Packers are clearly the top team. Detroit is in the running for a wild card. Minnesota makes a valiant run, but is just out of the playoffs. Chicago is never a factor.

In the NFC South, Falcons narrowly win the division. Carolina, New Orleans and Tampa Bay are all in contention for a wildcard, Carolina having the best shot.

The AFC South is wide open, I think Tennessee will narrowly win the division but both Indianapolis and Houston will be in contention for the title and at least one will grab a wildcard. Jacksonville is out of the picture.

The AFC West is the strongest division overall this year. Equal odds that either Kansas City or Oakland will win the division, with the other team definitely being a wildcard. Denver is in the wildcard picture and this division could produce both AFC wildcards. Los Angles Chargers are potentially in the wildcard, but will likely suffer from having three very strong division opponents.

In the NFC West, equal odds that either Seattle or Arizona take the division with the other team having a very good chance at a wildcard. Los Angeles Rams have a decent season but miss the playoffs and San Francisco is not a factor.

4. Sponsored Links

To summarize:

AFC

Division Winners by possible seed:

#1 Patriots
    #2 Kansas City/Oakland
    #3 Tennessee
    #4 Pittsburgh

Wildcards and outside looking in by seed

#5 Kansas City/Oakland
    #6 Denver
    #7 Houston
    #8 Indianapolis
    #9 Baltimore
    #10 Cincinnati
    #11 Los Angeles Chargers
    #12 Miami

NFC

Division winners by possible seed:

#1 Packers
    #2 Atlanta
    #3 Seattle/Arizona
    #4 Dallas

Wildcards and outside looking in by seed:

#5 Seattle/Arizona
    #6 Carolina
    #7 New York Giants
    #8 New Orleans
    #9 Detroit
    #10 Tampa Bay

6. Sponsored Links

1. Will the Patriots repeat as Super Bowl champs?

No. The retirement of Rob Ninkovich will hurt the defense. Plus, Father Time will eventually catches up with Brady, and he would soon regret not retiring after winning another Super Bowl.

2. Will the Falcons repeat as NFC Champs?

I think they have a chance, but the NFC South will be tough. Each team have a good shot of winning the division. Plus, the Packers and Seahawks will always have a shot of going to the Super Bowl.

3. Will anyone actually show up for the home games of the Las Vegas, I mean, Oakland Raiders?

I wouldn't. Why would I support a team that deserted me? It will be like the Houston Oilers situation where they played one season in a half-empty stadium after they announced they will move to Nashville.

4. Will the Chargers regret leaving San Diego to L.A.?

HELL YEAH! Also, the city and people of SD as well as the NFL will regret letting the team leave in the first place.

5. Will the Dallas Cowboys repeat as NFC East champs?

OF COURSE NOT! The Giants and Redskins will give them a run for their money.

6. Which team will sigh Kap?

As long it's not the Jets, I DON'T CARE! But it's fun yet annoying that the liberal sports media are making a big fuss of Kap not being signed yet? Hey, RGIII isn't signed yet. Where's the big fuss over that?

7. Will all this talk about CTE dampen the season?

If the media keeps talking about CTE this and CTE that, YES! No wonder ratings were down last year.

8. Which teams will make the playoffs & win the Super Bowl?

AFC: East - Patriots. North - Steelers. South - Texans. West - Chiefs. Wild Cards - Bengals and Raiders

NFC: East - Giants. North - Packers. South - Falcons. West - Seahawks. Wild Cards - Cardinals and Lions

Super Bowl - Patriots and Packers. Winner: Patriots

8. Sponsored Links

My teams season is over before its begun.

At best I thought Miami had an outside shot of unseating New England.

But now Tannehill is down, possibly all season, leaving us with either Matt Moore or Jay Cutler as QB (unless Tanny grows a miracle knee).

I think Gase is a great coach and could still get us to 9-7 or 10-6 with either of them but thats a best case scenario.

Then again, I nearly threw in the towel last season when the team was 1-4 and the one victory over Cleveland (a game Miami deserved to lose) was the most sad win in the history of the NFL. Somehow the team rebounded and made the playoffs. In Gase I trust but even a great coach can't overcome a mediocre QB and mediocre defense.

10. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post

But now Tannehill is down, possibly all season, leaving us with either Matt Moore or Jay Cutler as QB (unless Tanny grows a miracle knee).

I think Gase is a great coach and could still get us to 9-7 or 10-6 with either of them but thats a best case scenario.

Then again, I nearly threw in the towel last season when the team was 1-4 and the one victory over Cleveland (a game Miami deserved to lose) was the most sad win in the history of the NFL. Somehow the team rebounded and made the playoffs. In Gase I trust but even a great coach can't overcome a mediocre QB and mediocre defense.
    Any confidence in your Dolphins now that they signed Jay Cutler?

12. Sponsored Links

My team won its fourth consecutive off-season championship. Take that, Tom Brady, how many of those have you won, drafting in the bottom of the first round every year?

All joking aside, the Jaguars stand to have a pretty good defense. It really only needs a dominant pass rusher to become elite. I doubt that happens, though, because the guy they're holding out hope for is a moron.

The offense is likely to continue its ineptitude. Bortles went to some QB summer camp to work on his mechanics, but I don't think there's anything to help him improve his decision making skills. He could improve, but I'm not holding my breath. The team drafted a running back in the first round in hopes of improving a putrid ground game. If the offensive line doesn't improve from last year, it won't matter. I lost count of the times the RB was hit behind the line of scrimmage last year. Video from this year's camp shows more of the same.

I don't follow the rest of the league enough to make predictions for everything, but here's how I see the AFC South shaking out.

Tennessee Titans 10-6
    Indianapolis Colts 9-7
    Houston Texans 7-9
    Jacksonville Jaguars 6-10

14. Sponsored Links

Fans are signing a petition on change.org to boycott the NFL if Kaepernick isn't signed.

Sigh.

16. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Safiel View Post
    With the Hall of Fame Game coming up Thursday, guess it is time to start this thread.

In the NFC East, I think it is going to be the Giants and Cowboys neck in neck all season with the Eagles and Redskins out of the picture from the very beginning.

Dallas SHOULD win the division over the Giants by the narrowest of margins and probably won't technically clinch until the last week of the season. Giants might go in as the wildcard.
    Dallas should win, but I’m taking Philly as the chaser rather than the Giants. They have no offensive line to speak of and no running game at all. Eli Manning may be decapitated by the end of week 3. Dallas will have to hope that Elliott doesn’t get suspended (and I can’t read that one at all), their defense got cooked a lot last year and didn’t make any significant improvements, and if anyone on their O-line gets hurt it’s going to be an issue. Philly’s running game is still iffy but they’ve got the 2nd best O-line in the division. They have very good safeties in McLeod and Jenkins but the corners are also question marks. If Rasul Douglas proves to be legit, things will improve.

In the AFC East, Patriots. (Duuuuuhhhhhhh). New York Jets suck so badly, they may go 0-16. Bills are out of the picture from the beginning. Dolphins MIGHT have enough to have an outside shot at the lower wildcard slot, probably not but maybe.
    When Tannehill got hurt, I heard the odds on the Patriots to win the division went to -500. Buffalo could surprise if Taylor makes a leap, but I don’t see it.

In the AFC North, I think Pittsburgh is marginally the best team, with Baltimore and Cincinnati both in the contest for wildcard slots. Cleveland is never a factor.
    Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are the only viable options with Flacco set to miss significant time.

In the NFC North, Packers are clearly the top team. Detroit is in the running for a wild card. Minnesota makes a valiant run, but is just out of the playoffs. Chicago is never a factor.
    Aaron Rodgers is Daenarys’s lead dragon, and Minnesota’s defense carries them. Detroit will be lucky to win 7 games and Chicago might win 6.

In the NFC South, Falcons narrowly win the division. Carolina, New Orleans and Tampa Bay are all in contention for a wildcard, Carolina having the best shot.
    Jameis Winston leads Tampa to the division title with Carolina close behind. Atlanta drops thanks to the Super Bowl curse while New Orleans goes another season giving up 30+ every week and hoping Drew Brees’s arm doesn’t fall off.

The AFC South is wide open, I think Tennessee will narrowly win the division but both Indianapolis and Houston will be in contention for the title and at least one will grab a wildcard. Jacksonville is out of the picture.
    If Bortles gives an average performance this year, I think Jacksonville takes the division. I’m honestly still not sold on Mariota, but they did give him some weapons. Andrew Luck may die in October. Houston’s fortunes depend entirely on having a competent offense…they don’t right now, but if Watson is as good as advertised they could surprise me.

The AFC West is the strongest division overall this year. Equal odds that either Kansas City or Oakland will win the division, with the other team definitely being a wildcard. Denver is in the wildcard picture and this division could produce both AFC wildcards. Los Angles Chargers are potentially in the wildcard, but will likely suffer from having three very strong division opponents.
    Oakland falls back while KC and Denver fight for the division. I expect at least two Chargers receivers are carted off the field in September.

In the NFC West, equal odds that either Seattle or Arizona take the division with the other team having a very good chance at a wildcard. Los Angeles Rams have a decent season but miss the playoffs and San Francisco is not a factor.
    Seattle wins going away, as David Johnson fights through injuries after something like 2000 touches last season. LA and San Francisco will combine for 8 wins.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

18. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Soldier View Post
    Fans are signing a petition on change.org to boycott the NFL if Kaepernick isn't signed.

Sigh.
    Oy.

I think the next starting QB that goes down will result in a call to his agent though.

Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one can imagine

20. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by newyorkjetsfan View Post
    1. Will the Patriots repeat as Super Bowl champs?

No.

The retirement of Rob Ninkovich will hurt the defense. Plus, Father Time will eventually catches up with Brady, and he would soon regret not retiring after winning another Super Bowl.

2. Will the Falcons repeat as NFC Champs?

I think they have a chance, but the NFC South will be tough. Each team have a good shot of winning the division. Plus, the Packers and Seahawks will always have a shot of going to the Super Bowl.

3. Will anyone actually show up for the home games of the Las Vegas, I mean, Oakland Raiders?

I wouldn't. Why would I support a team that deserted me? It will be like the Houston Oilers situation where they played one season in a half-empty stadium after they announced they will move to Nashville.

4. Will the Chargers regret leaving San Diego to L.A.?

HELL YEAH! Also, the city and people of SD as well as the NFL will regret letting the team leave in the first place.

5. Will the Dallas Cowboys repeat as NFC East champs?

OF COURSE NOT! The Giants and Redskins will give them a run for their money.

6. Which team will sigh Kap?

As long it's not the Jets, I DON'T CARE! But it's fun yet annoying that the liberal sports media are making a big fuss of Kap not being signed yet? Hey, RGIII isn't signed yet. Where's the big fuss over that?

7. Will all this talk about CTE dampen the season?

If the media keeps talking about CTE this and CTE that, YES! No wonder ratings were down last year.

8. Which teams will make the playoffs & win the Super Bowl?

AFC: East - Patriots. North - Steelers. South - Texans. West - Chiefs. Wild Cards - Bengals and Raiders

NFC: East - Giants. North - Packers. South - Falcons. West - Seahawks. Wild Cards - Cardinals and Lions

Super Bowl - Patriots and Packers. Winner: Patriots
    Bold mine.

Your first sentence and your last, do you see the problem?

22. Sponsored Links

23. Likes Dr. Funkenstein, Nik Notorious liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post

Nonsense! The Dolphins now have some wicked offensive weapons. Their defense will determine how far they go. Jay Cutler, as big of a cry baby that he is, can be a pretty damn good QB when the talent is around him. Miami has that talent. If the Patriots didn't improve their team so much I'd go out on the limb and say Miami might win the division. They'll split, and it should be close in the end.

Much the same for my Cowboys in that if their defense doesn't step it up, they probably won't even make the playoffs this year. Much tougher schedule than last season.

25. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Toll Collector View Post
    Nonsense! The Dolphins now have some wicked offensive weapons. Their defense will determine how far they go. Jay Cutler, as big of a cry baby that he is, can be a pretty damn good QB when the talent is around him. Miami has that talent. If the Patriots didn't improve their team so much I'd go out on the limb and say Miami might win the division. They'll split, and it should be close in the end.
    Jay Ajayi won't be the same guy he was last year. I'm keeping him and David Johnson in the second round of all of my fantasy draft boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Toll Collector View Post
    Much the same for my Cowboys in that if their defense doesn't step it up, they probably won't even make the playoffs this year. Much tougher schedule than last season.
    https://theringer.com/2017-nfl-previ...s-fc8714c38107

Apparently they're drafting much of their defensive talent based on their ability to jump.

Only problem there is I have no idea who's playing corner for them - Carroll's already facing a suspension for DUI, and Scandrick has made it through a full season once since 2010 ('14 wasn't an injury but a drug suspension for MDMA). There isn't much behind those two.

27. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein View Post
    Jay Ajayi won't be the same guy he was last year. I'm keeping him and David Johnson in the second round of all of my fantasy draft boards.

https://theringer.com/2017-nfl-previ...s-fc8714c38107

Apparently they're drafting much of their defensive talent based on their ability to jump.

Only problem there is I have no idea who's playing corner for them - Carroll's already facing a suspension for DUI, and Scandrick has made it through a full season once since 2010 ('14 wasn't an injury but a drug suspension for MDMA). There isn't much behind those two.
    You're absolutely spot on. Cowboys secondary isn't looking good. One of our starting CBs will be out with a hamstring and he wasn't that good to begin with. The wildcard is the front 7. Best case scenario is Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith are for real, and our DL might be pretty good. If that's the case it won't matter how average our secondary is. But it's easier said than done and i'll admit it is a longshot.

29. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

I'm still trying to reconcile myself to having to say "Los Angeles" for not one but two teams now, won't be saying "San Diego" anymore, and in a couple years here may well not be saying "Raiders."
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato

31. Sponsored Links