; Is a taco a sandwich? Is a pizza a sandwich? Is it all sandwiches? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Is a taco a sandwich? Is a pizza a sandwich? Is it all sandwiches?

Yes, no? Is it not arguable a taco is a type of open-faced sandwich, just folded? An open-faced sandwich is a single piece of bread with with food atop. Seems that a taco shell is arguably a bread, so thus it is a sandwich. If so, would that not also make a pizza a type of sandwich?

2. Sponsored Links

Let's take this up another notch.

The first paragraph in the wikipedia entry on "sandwich" reads thus:

"A sandwich is a food typically consisting of vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for another food type"

This definition excludes the submarine sandwich. Seeing as how nobody in their right mind would suggest that a submarine sandwich is anything less than a sandwich, despite using only one piece of bread, we've made way for the pita, wraps, and finally, the tortilla.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” - William Arthur Ward

4. Sponsored Links

Would this 'another notch' extend to calzones?

6. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Solsbury Krill View Post
    Would this 'another notch' extend to calzones?
    That's a good question. The issue here is complicated.

It starts with whether or not we accept a previously offered, then subsequently retracted, definition of a sandwich as "A sandwich needs two pieces of a starchy food around a filling."

This is the first statement which opened up the possibility of accepting a food where the "bread" completely envelops the filling on all sides as a sandwich. i.e. ravioli.

Here's where it gets tricky. There are two preparations of ravioli... one consistent with this particular definition of a sandwich where two sheets of dough are used to surround the filling, and the other is when you put filling inside one piece of dough and fold it over and pinch it.

Would we say that the former ravioli are sandwiches but the latter ravioli are not?
    Or do we permit that ravioli is ravioli regardless of how it was constructed and choose to
    1. Accept that all ravioli are sandwiches
    2. Reject all ravioli as sandwiches

If we can accept that all ravioli are sandwiches, then we have to accept calzones as sandwiches as well. This is based on a corollary to the proposed definition that allows for a single piece of dough to envelop the filling on all sides IF that same dish may also be prepared by using two pieces of dough to achieve the same result. (Notice I did not say "if and only if" If a calzone is never prepared with more than one piece of dough, it qualifies because we consider single dough ravioli to be sandwiches)

But if we either consider SOME ravioli to be sandwiches based on the number of pieces of dough involved, or altogether reject the proposed then recanted definition of a sandwich mentioned at the top of this post, then we cannot consider a calzone to be a sandwich.
    Last edited by Poisonshady313; July 29th, 2017 at 12:00 am.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” - William Arthur Ward

8. Sponsored Links

Yes, no? Is it not arguable a taco is a type of open-faced sandwich, just folded? An open-faced sandwich is a single piece of bread with with food atop. Seems that a taco shell is arguably a bread, so thus it is a sandwich. If so, would that not also make a pizza a type of sandwich?
    Here's another way of thinking about this. If we go back to the foundation of the sandwich, we see a food item that has a very specific form and utility. I'll let Wikipedia explain:

"It is commonly said that Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food because it allowed him to continue playing cards, particularly cribbage, while eating, without using a fork, and without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands"

From this, we learn a few things (if we insist that this description should be the standard against which all potential sandwiches are measured).

A taco could be a sandwich. A hot dog would be a sandwich. Just about anything wrapped in a tortilla, pita, wrap.... as long as it can be eaten without a fork and prevent the hands from getting greasy it would qualify.

This would disqualify the ravioli, and perhaps even the calzone. It might even disqualify a pizza, depending on the state of your hands after eating such a thing.

And it would render the "open faced sandwich" an abomination, much like non-alcoholic beer.

10. Sponsored Links

I suppose a taco could technically count as a sandwich, because different ingredients are between something that is made from grain (tortilla). I would consider pizza to be more of a flat cake than a sandwich...the sauce and toppings aren't in between the dough, but instead stacked on top.
    "Ignis aurum probat"

12. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by FlameHeart View Post
    I suppose a taco could technically count as a sandwich, because different ingredients are between something that is made from grain (tortilla). I would consider pizza to be more of a flat cake than a sandwich...the sauce and toppings aren't in between the dough, but instead stacked on top.
    Well this gets back to what is an open face sandwich. I'm admittedly confused by the concept of an open face sandwich but if I accept what a sandwich is and accept that an open face sandwich is a type of sandwich then I'm willing to go so far as to say that a pizza lands in sandwich territory.

14. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonshady313 View Post
    Here's another way of thinking about this. If we go back to the foundation of the sandwich, we see a food item that has a very specific form and utility. I'll let Wikipedia explain:

"It is commonly said that Lord Sandwich was fond of this form of food because it allowed him to continue playing cards, particularly cribbage, while eating, without using a fork, and without getting his cards greasy from eating meat with his bare hands"

From this, we learn a few things (if we insist that this description should be the standard against which all potential sandwiches are measured).

A taco could be a sandwich. A hot dog would be a sandwich. Just about anything wrapped in a tortilla, pita, wrap.... as long as it can be eaten without a fork and prevent the hands from getting greasy it would qualify.

This would disqualify the ravioli, and perhaps even the calzone. It might even disqualify a pizza, depending on the state of your hands after eating such a thing.

And it would render the "open faced sandwich" an abomination, much like non-alcoholic beer.
    The 'greasy' part sticks out to me here, but that would seem to rule out melts and grilled cheese sandwiches since while they are sandwiches, ones hands are not grease free afterwards. When is a sandwich not a sandwich?

16. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by FlameHeart View Post
    The way a lot of people hold the pizza when they eat it is folded over in a way that might resemble a taco. So if we call a taco a sandwich, we would have to call a pizza a sandwich.

BTW, I typed and had to delete the phrase "we would have to call a pizza a taco".

A pizza is not a taco. But tacos and pizza could be sandwiches.

18. Sponsored Links

The 'greasy' part sticks out to me here, but that would seem to rule out melts and grilled cheese sandwiches since while they are sandwiches, ones hands are not grease free afterwards. When is a sandwich not a sandwich?
    The test is, could you eat it without a fork and still be able to usefully play a game of cards?

As far as grilled cheese sandwiches, depending on how they're made, and depending on the level of savagery involved in eating it, it still retains its role as sandwich according to the aforementioned test.

If perhaps a napkin might need to be involved, that's ok. If you require a moist towelette or if you have to get up to go wash your hands, it's not a sandwich.

20. Sponsored Links

Well this gets back to what is an open face sandwich. I'm admittedly confused by the concept of an open face sandwich but if I accept what a sandwich is and accept that an open face sandwich is a type of sandwich then I'm willing to go so far as to say that a pizza lands in sandwich territory.
    If you apply the "no fork but could still play a game of cards" test and say "If a piece of bread were included on top, could it pass the test?" The open faced sandwich can call itself a sandwich. Given that you could easily eat a slice of pizza without a fork and, with or without the aid of a napkin, can go on to play a game of cards without messing up the cards, I think you could call a pizza a sandwich on the same level as calling a taco a sandwich, without necessarily labeling it as an "open faced" sandwich.

22. Sponsored Links