Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is a taco a sandwich? Is a pizza a sandwich? Is it all sandwiches?

Yes, no? Is it not arguable a taco is a type of open-faced sandwich, just folded? An open-faced sandwich is a single piece of bread with with food atop. Seems that a taco shell is arguably a bread, so thus it is a sandwich. If so, would that not also make a pizza a type of sandwich?

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Solsbury Krill View Post
    Yes, no? Is it not arguable a taco is a type of open-faced sandwich, just folded? An open-faced sandwich is a single piece of bread with with food atop. Seems that a taco shell is arguably a bread, so thus it is a sandwich. If so, would that not also make a pizza a type of sandwich?
    By that rationale, a cracker with cheese on it would be an open faced cheese sandwich because a cracker is arguably a bread.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” - William Arthur Ward

4. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonshady313 View Post
    By that rationale, a cracker with cheese on it would be an open faced cheese sandwich because a cracker is arguably a bread.
    Nearly a kind of open-faced slider? Is it all sandwiches?

6. Sponsored Links

Taco is not a sandwich. An open-faced :"sandwich" is not a sandwich either. Pizza is not a sandwich. A sandwich needs two pieces of a starchy food around a filling.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

8. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Taco is not a sandwich. An open-faced :"sandwich" is not a sandwich either. Pizza is not a sandwich. A sandwich needs two pieces of a starchy food around a filling.
    Back in the day when I lived where Publix existed I used to have their deli 'sandwiches'. They would take a hoagie roll and cut it open and not in two and sell that to me as a 'sandwich'. No two slices of bread there, was I being fed a taco?

10. Sponsored Links

By that rationale, a ravioli is a sandwich.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” - William Arthur Ward

12. Sponsored Links

Mind blown...

14. Sponsored Links

I'm amending my definition of a sandwich to two pieces of bread (or a split roll) surrounding a filling. A taco, a pizza, an open faced "sandwich, and ravioli are not sandwiches. A hot dog with bun is a sandwich.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

16. Sponsored Links

I'm amending my definition of a sandwich to two pieces of bread (or a split roll) surrounding a filling. A taco, a pizza, an open faced "sandwich, and ravioli are not sandwiches. A hot dog with bun is a sandwich.
    If you can fold a piece of bread that contains, for example, roast beef so that it resembles a hotdog bun, why would that be any less of a sandwich than a hot dog? What if you used a piece of bread wrapped around a hotdog, as if it were a bun. Would it cease to be a sandwich because it's not a split roll?

18. Sponsored Links

So we think a hot dog is a sandwich now? Would it be a type of sub sandwich?

20. Sponsored Links

So we think a hot dog is a sandwich now?
    According to your rationale for finding a taco to be a sandwich, you don't really have a choice. A hot dog is a type of open-faced sandwich, just folded.
    Would it be a type of sub sandwich?
    A micro sub. I could see that. Except if you want to call it that, you have to hold it in a way that the bread is at the top and bottom, not on the sides.

22. Sponsored Links

I think I'm OK with a hot dog falling into open faced sandwich and/or deconstructed taco territory, tho i would likely agree a taco under most circumstances would require a certain type of bread.

24. Sponsored Links

I think I'm OK with a hot dog falling into open faced sandwich and/or deconstructed taco territory, tho i would likely agree a taco under most circumstances would require a certain type of bread.

And I quote: "Seems that a taco shell is arguably a bread,"

And don't be silly. A deconstructed taco is a taco salad.

26. Sponsored Links

Bread is an umbrella taxonomy just as sandwich seems to be. A taco may rely on a tortilla which may have some restrictions on composition to be called such.

28. Sponsored Links

I'll talk you through this:

I looked it up. A tortilla is defined as a thin flat bread. So your "Taco is an open faced sandwich" theory holds up. And if you were to let a tortilla rise a bit, it essentially is a pita. A pita surrounds the filling on three sides, like a hot dog bun. And oh yeah, like a sub.

Hence: If a taco is a sandwich, a hot dog is a sandwich.

30. Sponsored Links