Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Like Stats

Default Which is better - Star Wars or Star Trek?

So, which is it and why? The gritty, simplified good vs. evil coupled with a story of rebellions against a tyrannical order, or the nuanced, future of humanity story telling of essentially government bureaucrats in service of a one world government surveying the cosmos for the greater good of humankind?

2. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Mobulis View Post
    Kirk blows picard out of the water.
    He probably would ... if they lived at the same time. Kirk was a brash, dive in head first without checking to see how deep the water kind of guy, who did stupid things without thinking about the consequences, relying totally on his crew (except the expendable guy in the blue shirt) to bail him out. Picard, on the other hand was thoughtful and skillful and took full responsibility for his actions with the greater good of the Federation in mind. If he and Kirk had butted heads over how to proceed with a crisis, Kirk probably would have fired photon torpedoes at Picard to get him out of the way so he could go in and kick butt (relying once again on Spock and Scotty to bail him out.)

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

4. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by FlameHeart View Post
    Personally I like Star Trek better; I feel that the characters are deeper and have unique personalities and backstories. But I will admit that the storyline in Star Wars is probably richer, as it deals with everything from romance to corrupt/Chicago-style politics.

Just adding in that Voyager is my favorite Star Trek series. I like the character Seven of Nine in particular. I think I can kind of relate to her personality. I haven't seen much of 1st generation Star Trek, or even Next Generation.
    The best line in the Voyager series was when they brought 7 of 9 dressed in her new uniform in to see the holographic doctor and the doctor after giving her a long look said "your uniform is very informative."

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

6. Sponsored Links

7. Likes FlameHeart liked this post
    Post Like Stats

Light saber > phaser.

Force choke >> Vulcan nerve pinch.

9. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Apathetic
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    He probably would ... if they lived at the same time. Kirk was a brash, dive in head first without checking to see how deep the water kind of guy, who did stupid things without thinking about the consequences, relying totally on his crew (except the expendable guy in the blue shirt) to bail him out. Picard, on the other hand was thoughtful and skillful and took full responsibility for his actions with the greater good of the Federation in mind. If he and Kirk had butted heads over how to proceed with a crisis, Kirk probably would have fired photon torpedoes at Picard to get him out of the way so he could go in and kick butt (relying once again on Spock and Scotty to bail him out.)
    You mean like when he pissed off Q and got the attention of the borg?
    Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea.

11. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Star Wars. While Star Trek was the first real serious (and not cartoonish) treatment of science fiction on television, Star Wars was miles ahead of it in special effects, costuming, character development and story. I like both, but prefer Star Wars.

#MAGA = Morons Are Governing America.
    "Don't give this man the nuclear codes." -- Tony Schwartz, co-author "The Art of the Deal."

13. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Star Trek, beam me up Scottie.
    More hands on and an effort to make it realistic.
    Star Wars is make believe, but fun.
    Last edited by Evilwestsidefan; August 6th, 2017 at 1:12 am.

15. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Classical Liberal
    Post Like Stats

<snipped>

(except the expendable guy in the blue shirt)

<snipped>
    ???!!!

You have your colors mixed up???

Please review the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3cL1Aofy90

17. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Safiel View Post
    ???!!!

You have your colors mixed up???

Please review the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3cL1Aofy90
    Red shirt ... blue shirt ... the guy not wearing what Kirk and his posse were wearing was toast.

19. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

>

To bad it got cancelled.

............ Firefly could have been better than both.

>>>>
    Navy Chiefs never retire, they just go on to other duty assignments. -

21. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Solsbury Krill View Post
    So, which is it and why? The gritty, simplified good vs. evil coupled with a story of rebellions against a tyrannical order, or the nuanced, future of humanity story telling of essentially government bureaucrats in service of a one world government surveying the cosmos for the greater good of humankind?
    Star wars over Star Trek, but it's kind of like shrimp over steak. Both are good, just that one is slightly better.

Star Trek, to me, is reminiscent of Lewis and Clark, who while sent out by bureaucrats, were not bureaucrats.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

23. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Evilwestsidefan View Post
    Star Trek, beam me up Scottie.
    More hands on and an effort to make it realistic.
    Star Wars is make believe, but fun.
    "Beam me up Scotty", just before you talk about realism? The transporter was invented by Gene Rodenberry as a more convenient (less special effects) method of getting the crew back and forth from the planet.

Both are make believe and fun.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

25. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    "Beam me up Scotty", just before you talk about realism? The transporter was invented by Gene Rodenberry as a more convenient (less special effects) method of getting the crew back and forth from the planet.

Both are make believe and fun.
    Glad the transporter concept carried into the games I play, lol.

27. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Tired
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

While I prefer Star Wars its perfectly acceptable to like both.

Sides which Farscape is better than both of them and is the best Sci Fi series in existence.

Seriously, if you haven't seen Farscape do yourself a favor and go watch it. I think the entire series is on Netflix. The premise is a U.S. Astronaut on shuttle orbiting Earth gets sucked into a wormhole across the galaxy into the middle of an intergalactic war. He winds up on a prison ship full of prisoners who have just taken over. The first season can be a little rough for the first 2/3's of it before the show really finds its footing near the end of the 1st season and from then on its spectacular with great characters, great storylines, and bad guys you can actually sympathize with. Plus it at times goes very meta without being ridiculous which makes the show a lot of fun.

Just to give an example of the kinds of meta fun this how has throughout the series the main character John often make allusions to his childhood and losing his virginity to an older girl in the back seat of a truck and how he never saw her again. In season IV thanks to worm holes and time travel they end up back on Earth and run across younger John. One of the other characters on the show, an alien female whose race is highly sexualized, hooks up with young John in the back seat of the truck. She was in disguise so older John didn't realize that the whole time he'd been fondly remembering that time he was talking about one of his crewmates.
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; August 11th, 2017 at 7:12 pm.

29. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

CBS is starting up a new Star Trek series in the Fall line up ... Star Trek Discovery ... set ten years before the original series.

Here is a 2:15 min trailer from YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rj4inzcAKk

31. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

CBS is starting up a new Star Trek series in the Fall line up ... Star Trek Discovery ... set ten years before the original series.

Here is a 2:15 min trailer from YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rj4inzcAKk

Not really in the fall "line up" after a teaser episode on regular broadcast, you will need to purchase CBS All Access (monthly subscription required) to be able to watch the episodes.

It won't be broadcasting over the regular network.

>>>>
    Navy Chiefs never retire, they just go on to other duty assignments. -

33. Sponsored Links