Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which is better - Star Wars or Star Trek?

So, which is it and why? The gritty, simplified good vs. evil coupled with a story of rebellions against a tyrannical order, or the nuanced, future of humanity story telling of essentially government bureaucrats in service of a one world government surveying the cosmos for the greater good of humankind?

2. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Solsbury Krill View Post
    So, which is it and why? The gritty, simplified good vs. evil coupled with a story of rebellions against a tyrannical order, or the nuanced, future of humanity story telling of essentially government bureaucrats in service of a one world government surveying the cosmos for the greater good of humankind?
    No question ... Star Trek

And if you have to have the reasons why explained to you, you wouldn't understand.

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

4. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries

1st gen star trek
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by jerks.

6. Sponsored Links

Have you guys ever checked out Star Trek Continues? If you're an original series Star Trek fan, you owe it to yourself to watch some of their episodes - they do an amazing job, and they're very true to the original concept of the show... which is more than I can say for the crappy movies they're pumping out these days.

If Paramount had a clue, they'd hire these guys and give them the budget to put together some really great movies.

8. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by The Girl from Ipanema View Post
    1st gen star trek
    All generations of Star Trek.

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

10. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    All generations of Star Trek.
    Wesley Crusher was a generation too many.

12. Sponsored Links

13. Likes The Girl from Ipanema liked this post

>

As an adult moderate in the room...

........All I can say is...

....................There is enough room in the universe to like them both.

>>>>
    Last edited by WorldWatcher; August 1st, 2017 at 4:34 pm.
    Navy Chiefs never retire, they just go on to other duty assignments. -

15. Sponsored Links

16. Likes poorblackman liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cordelier View Post
    Wesley Crusher was a generation too many.
    Wesley Crusher was only one character in that generation of Star Trek, and he was LOT better than Jar Jar Binks. Heck, he was even better than the Ewoks or Jabba the Hutt.

Besides, you don't get a much better than character than Jean-Luc Picard in any sci-fi story.
    Last edited by Samm; August 1st, 2017 at 4:34 pm.

18. Sponsored Links

19. Likes party-free liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    >

As an adult moderate in the room...

........All I can say is...

....................There is enough room in the universe to like them both.

>>>>
    The question is not about "like" it is about "better."

I like the Star Wars series a lot and have always looked forward to the next film release (although, there has been disappointment with some of the films,) but it is absolutely not a better story or production than Star Trek.

21. Sponsored Links

I would perhaps go with the fact that Star Trek has stories of greater depth than Star Wars, but for me the Star Wars films are more relatable in that they feel more human. For me there's something about the Millenium Falcon for instance being a built up parts yard project connects me back to my shade tree mechanic past. Everything in Star Trek looks so corporate or sterile, barring say Klingon ships. And on that note, the portrayal of alien life in Star Wars for me seems more interesting or well done than in Star Trek.

23. Sponsored Links

Wesley Crusher was only one character in that generation of Star Trek, and he was LOT better than Jar Jar Binks. Heck, he was even better than the Ewoks or Jabba the Hutt.

Besides, you don't get a much better than character than Jean-Luc Picard in any sci-fi story.
    *L* I think I'd put him on the same level with Jar Jar.... If you want character development in sci-fi, I think Firefly had it down pat. It was a shame it got cancelled after just one season. No accounting for corporate taste, I guess.

PS - I didn't like Riker either....he struck me as an arrogant prig.

25. Sponsored Links

Quote Originally Posted by Solsbury Krill View Post
    I would perhaps go with the fact that Star Trek has stories of greater depth than Star Wars, but for me the Star Wars films are more relatable in that they feel more human. For me there's something about the Millenium Falcon for instance being a built up parts yard project connects me back to my shade tree mechanic past. Everything in Star Trek looks so corporate or sterile, barring say Klingon ships. And on that note, the portrayal of alien life in Star Wars for me seems more interesting or well done than in Star Trek.
    The esthetics of the hardware makes the difference for you? Really?

Star Wars completely ignores physics; Star Trek embraced it.

27. Sponsored Links

Kirk blows picard out of the water.
    Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea.

29. Sponsored Links

30. Likes Cordelier, The Girl from Ipanema liked this post

The esthetics of the hardware makes the difference for you? Really?

Star Wars completely ignores physics; Star Trek embraced it.

Read the nitpickers guide to star trek.
    Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea.

32. Sponsored Links

Personally I like Star Trek better; I feel that the characters are deeper and have unique personalities and backstories. But I will admit that the storyline in Star Wars is probably richer, as it deals with everything from romance to corrupt/Chicago-style politics.

Just adding in that Voyager is my favorite Star Trek series. I like the character Seven of Nine in particular. I think I can kind of relate to her personality. I haven't seen much of 1st generation Star Trek, or even Next Generation.
    "Ignis aurum probat"

34. Sponsored Links