Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    My Mood
    Obnoxious
    Ideology
    Filthy Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Default cop gets caught on camera illegally searching a vehicle

a video has emerged of a cop searching vehicle in patterson NJ without a warrant. the vehicle owner saw the cop searching his van and when he approached the cop,the cop refused to say why he was searching and just walked away. other cops on the scene didnt intervene and refused to id themselves.

the proscutors office is investinagting but so far no charges have been filed.

a case can easily be made that the cop committed burglary (if he wasnt trying to plant evidence in the van)

assuming the cop didnt have a warrant he should be charged with burglary. the other cops on the scene should also be fired for ignoring the crime.
    and if the cop had a warrant he should be fired for refusing to ID himself

warning: offensive language in teh video

http://patersontimes.com/2017/07/14/...ehicle-search/
    yes i am a pirate,200 years to late

2. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Calm
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingMan View Post
    not politics.

anti-police troll elsewhere
    How is the O P an "anti-police troll"?

I've no idea if this is or isn't a proper search.

4. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingMan View Post
    when she listens
    Why should she bother
    THIS IS UNDER THREAT

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Tired
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by less right View Post
    If any of those applied here the officers would have ID'd themselves.
    Did you watch the video? The cops offer to talk to the man away from the middle of the street which is where the man filming is standing. The plainclothes cop several times verbally indicates and motions to the the sidewalk area so they can talk but the man says "I aint leaving this spot." The man refused to leave the middle of the street to the sidewalk and then claims that the cops wouldn't talk to him. The cops continue trying to talk to him as they move out of the street but he won't follow. Then the video conveniently ends without showing how the encounter ends.
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; July 17th, 2017 at 12:21 am.

8. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Did you watch the video? The cops offer to talk to the man away from the middle of the street which is where the man filming is standing. The plainclothes cop several times verbally indicates and motions to the the sidewalk area so they can talk but the man says "I aint leaving this spot." The man refused to leave the middle of the street to the sidewalk and then claims that the cops wouldn't talk to him. The cops continue trying to talk to him as they move out of the street but he won't follow. Then the video conveniently ends without showing how the encounter ends.
    Those guys walked off. They didn't insist he follow their lawful orders. They didn't care that he was in the middle of the street. They walked off because they were busted... it appears on the video.

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Tired
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Those guys walked off. They didn't insist he follow their lawful orders. They didn't care that he was in the middle of the street. They walked off because they were busted... it appears on the video.
    #Alternative Facts

Its hilarious that you would try to claim this when the video is quite clear in showing the cop trying to get the guy out of the middle of the street to talk.

12. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

#Alternative Facts

Its hilarious that you would try to claim this when the video is quite clear in showing the cop trying to get the guy out of the middle of the street to talk.
    Cops doing their jobs don't 'try' to get people out the middle of the street and they certainly don't give the order (or request) and then just walk away.

These cops got caught doing something they shouldn't.

14. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Tired
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Cops doing their jobs don't 'try' to get people out the middle of the street and they certainly don't give the order (or request) and then just walk away.

These cops got caught doing something they shouldn't.
    Apparently you think the middle of the street impeding traffic is a perfectly reasonable place to have a conversation. The cop clearly says something to the effect of "come over here and we will talk" as he motions to the side of the street but the guy doing video refuses.

The video again also conveniently ends before the whole thing is done. Wanna bet they had a conversation on the side of the street but that won't play as well to the anti police people?

And no one knows if the cops should or shouldn't have been doing that based off just this video. As I explained at length there is a huge list of automobile exceptions to the warrant requirement. Too many internet lawyers think the 4th amendment is absolute but thats just the starting point because you also need to know the case law and exceptions created by case law.
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; July 17th, 2017 at 8:39 pm.

16. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Apparently you think the middle of the street impeding traffic is a perfectly reasonable place to have a conversation. The cop clearly says something to the effect of "come over here and we will talk" as he motions to the side of the street but the guy doing video refuses. <snipped>
    The cop stood in the middle of the street not answering that guys questions. In fact, he (the cop) is the one that moved the conversation to the middle of the street. If he wanted to talk to him on the curb there was one a step away when he had his face stuck in the van Not to mention he didn't move towards the (opposite) curb until he was asked for a name and ID.

Apparently you misinterpreted what you saw on the video.

18. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Ornery
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by The Girl from Ipanema View Post
    Hardly seems right for them to investigate themselves. It seems like there ought to be an external body, with no allegiance or relationship to the city, county, or state to investigate such matters.
    The state is doing the investigation from what I can tell.
    Don't Blame Me I voted for Cruz! Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless
    THE DEFICIT

20. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Tired
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

The cop stood in the middle of the street not answering that guys questions. In fact, he (the cop) is the one that moved the conversation to the middle of the street. If he wanted to talk to him on the curb there was one a step away when he had his face stuck in the van Not to mention he didn't move towards the (opposite) curb until he was asked for a name and ID.

Apparently you misinterpreted what you saw on the video.
    He motioned to over where the other officers and police cars were. There is a whole list of plausible reasons he'd want to have conversation next to backup and possibly his own car.

22. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

He motioned to over where the other officers and police cars were. There is a whole list of plausible reasons he'd want to have conversation next to backup and possibly his own car.
    I hope this situation had a legal and satisfactory ending, but I cannot defend what I saw on the video as any kind of acceptable police behavior.

24. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Ornery
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

I hope this situation had a legal and satisfactory ending, but I cannot defend what I saw on the video as any kind of acceptable police behavior.
    If the hatch was in fact open there's nothing to defend. That gives probable cause even if there isn't a complaint or a warrant.

The officer did however look like a kid that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar with the way he was acting and that always looks bad.
    Don't Blame Me I voted for Cruz! Without the 1st & 2nd Amendments the rest of The Constitution is meaningless
    THE DEFICIT

26. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Walking on air
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

There's no way in a million years that I'd walk "over here" with some guy I just caught rummaging through my car - cop or not.

Not.in.a.million.years.
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by jerks.

28. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Ornery
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by The Girl from Ipanema View Post
    There's no way in a million years that I'd walk "over here" with some guy I just caught rummaging through my car - cop or not.

Not.in.a.million.years.
    It's' not like he was alone. There was a bevy of other officers, uniformed officers, over where he was motioning and asking the guy to head.
    THE DEFICIT

30. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    If the hatch was in fact open there's nothing to defend. That gives probable cause even if there isn't a complaint or a warrant.

The officer did however look like a kid that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar with the way he was acting and that always looks bad.
    I leave my trunk unlocked and that gives police probable cause to open and search it? That can't be right.

32. Sponsored Links