Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    My Mood
    Offended
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Default Cruz Introduces Bill to Eliminate Healthcare Exemption For Members of Congress

https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=3240

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) today announced his intention to introduce companion legislation to U.S. Rep. Martha McSally's (R-Ariz.) bill to eliminate a healthcare exemption for members of Congress that was required to be included in the Senate's health care bill due to procedural requirements under the reconciliation process.
    Well now. Isn't this interesting? This is what I call two pols doing their damn jobs.

If there was ever a law we could all get behind...

Please write your reps. Let's see what happens.
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier"
    -Samuel Johnson

2. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Funny to see DC swampers complain about laws they enact on US..

Dems like it.. Because they believe politicians are better than they are...Kind of like royalty.

We are so lucky to live in the USA, and during an inter-glacial warming period with

President Donald J. Trump as President

4. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Omoplata View Post
    There's also the fact single payer isn't government run health care, it is simply a financing mechanism. Delivery of care in the US would remain a combination of both private and public entities.

Medicare is a highly successful program. There's no reason why all American citizens cannot be enrolled in Medicare. I still cannot figure out why a large percentage of Americans enjoy being financially raped by the health care industry in the US.
    They love themselves some penetrating liberty.

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Constitutionalist
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorance Breeds Contempt View Post
    Justice can most certainly fit the first two definitions, depending on what it is. Just like self defense can be violent. It's not that hard and isn't a negative thing to acknowledge thar.
    It's stupid. Violence means something to society. Justice isn't violence.
    If prison is good enough for Kristian Saucier over 6 photos on a private cell phone, Hillary should face prison for having classified information on a private server and private cell phones.

8. Sponsored Links

Ideology
    Don't know
    Post Like Stats

Enforcement =/= violence. That's equivocation. Violence is one means of enforcement.
    What are the alternatives?

“Morality is…the doctrine of how we may make ourselves…worthy of happiness.” — Immanuel Kant
    You can ignore politics, but politics won't ignore you.

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Ecstatic
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by adroit View Post
    I queue up online at the DMV and they text me when my turn is coming up. I drive to the DMV and get in without a wait.

The USPS allows me to purchase and print labels off at home and leaves the doors unlocked after hours to be able to drop packages off. No waiting.

I made an appointment for my son's passport back in March and waited 10 minutes and was out in 20 minutes including the wait (at the same post office as above).

Been summoned once for jury duty and got let off in the first round of cuts. No biggie.

I look at a country like Netherlands who pay half of what we do per capita, obtain universal coverage, have similar or better wait times than us, and I think, yeah, that'd be pretty legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by adroit View Post
    They love themselves some penetrating liberty.
    Like Americans having to use GoFundMe to pay for medical expenses. So much liberty, it is awe inspiring. :P

12. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Calm
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by texashusker34 View Post
    It's stupid. Violence means something to society. Justice isn't violence.
    No, it's stupid to think that violence only describes illegal actions, or that justice never contains the use of brute force. Sometimes brute force is used in the execution of justice. The nuance you want to add is of your own making, but the rest of us don't have to accept that nuance.

14. Sponsored Links

15. Likes Samson Corwell liked this post
    My Mood
    Calm
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Samson Corwell View Post
    What are the alternatives?
    The law is full of monetary penalties as enforcement. That's just one example.

17. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Constitutionalist
    Post Like Stats

No, it's stupid to think that violence only describes illegal actions, or that justice never contains the use of brute force. Sometimes brute force is used in the execution of justice. The nuance you want to add is of your own making, but the rest of us don't have to accept that nuance.
    Honest people would admit that enforcing the law isn't violence. It's justice. Words have meanings. Violence is a negative term that invokes an image into the mind of people. It's stupid to associate that with enforcement of a damn patent.
    If prison is good enough for Kristian Saucier over 6 photos on a private cell phone, Hillary should face prison for having classified information on a private server and private cell phones.

19. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Calm
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Honest people would admit that enforcing the law isn't violence. It's justice. Words have meanings. Violence is a negative term that invokes an image into the mind of people. It's stupid to associate that with enforcement of a damn patent.
    1. In terms of enforcing a patent, yes, it's dumb to call it violence if no force was used.

2. Violence, by itself, is neither positive or negative. It is the context in which it occurs that informs its moral content. For instance, a storm can be violent without a morally negative connotation. It is simply a descriptor of the force and strength of the storm. I'm sorry, but whether you like it or not, law enforcement raids on drug houses with battering rams and weapons is violent. The use of a gun to kill is violent. The use of physical force to subdue or contain a suspect is violence. Context is determinative. Justified violence is still violence, your unique sensibilities aside.

3. "Honesty" has nothing to do with it. That's a throw away line that contributes nothing to your argument.

21. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Don't like politics
    Post Like Stats

No violence describes an action. One has to wonder why you are so uncomfortable.

23. Sponsored Links

Ideology
    Don't know
    Post Like Stats

The law is full of monetary penalties as enforcement. That's just one example.
    And how do you extract the fees if they aren't paid?

“Morality is…the doctrine of how we may make ourselves…worthy of happiness.” — Immanuel Kant
    You can ignore politics, but politics won't ignore you.

25. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Offended
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Enforcing the law is not justice.

27. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Constitutionalist
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DRS View Post
    No violence describes an action. One has to wonder why you are so uncomfortable.
    It's a stupid attempt to paint enforcement of the law as violence, especially in the context originally used by the first poster that tried to make the point that enforcing a patent was using state violence to force compliance. It's just dishonest. When people hear the word violent, they tend to associate it with something bad. Shooting a criminal that's raping a woman is not bad. Enforcement of the law is not bad. Taking someone to jail or fining them for patent infringement is not bad and it's not violence.

29. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky SF Dude View Post
    It's as close as we can get without everyone being their own judge and jury.

31. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Constitutionalist
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky SF Dude View Post
    We'll have to disagree. While there are bad laws, I still believe enforcing the law is justice. It damn sure isn't violence though and that's the larger point here.

33. Sponsored Links