Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Post Like Stats

Default Removing Confederate Monuments. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

I am so disgusted with liberals trying to erase history by removing confederate images. They are ignorant hypocrites.

If you consider yourself pro-choice, then you are a modern day confederate. You think the same, you act the same, you debate the same. You are no different than those early Americans.

I can't tell you how many times women have complained about men making laws concerning women's bodies. Now you understand how the South felt about the North voicing their opinions about slavery. It didn't concern those northern states. They had no business telling the southern states how to live their lives. Right?

For every woman who wants to get out of labor, there was a white man who also wanted to get out of labor. Therefore, they dehumanized the vulnerable in order to get their way.

No slave owner wanted to hurt their slaves anymore than a pro-choice person wants to kill a baby. But in both cases it happened.

In both cases, it was all about empowerment, having control of their own lives, and succeeding in life. Their intentions had nothing to do with harming others.

Both recall their histories of the days when they themselves were the victims, and how they rebelled, and succeeded and would never take no for an answer. They were both making progress in a fast forward mode, and didn't let anything get in their way.

Women like to bring up horror stories of women dying due to botched illegal abortions. Men recalled the horror stories of starvation and freezing to death of the early settlers due to the fact that they needed help tending to their new land. Access to slavery could have saved many.

If you have a problem with pro-life people, then you really would have had a problem with the Quakers and the abolitionists. They too, are cut from the same cloth.

If you feel a woman's body is off limits to the government, then you would also feel that a man's personal property was also off limits to the government.

If you want to understand how the confederates felt after the slaves were freed, just imagine about how the feminists would feel if abortion were outlawed.

I could go on and on.

Disclaimer: I am NOT comparing the physical body of a slave with that of a fetus. I am also NOT comparing the years of imprisonment with a procedure that is done in an afternoon.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Last edited by thomasereese; May 19th, 2017 at 11:52 am.

2. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Jrizzy View Post
    We were all much better off letting the south oppress black people for another hundred years or so.
    I didn't say that, there aren't just two options, turn a blind eye or full blown long term occupation. And don't pretend the north's hands were clean in that era either.
    Self appointed forum Mark Zuckerberg, feel free to ask me if any news story is real or fake.

4. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Birther View Post
    but you want to keep the monuments
    Your argument + analogy is weak

There are already people who protest abortion clinics, blow up abortion clinics and kill abortion doctors....
    Whats the beef sir?
    I don't care one way or the other about the statues or the flags. What I find disturbing is the hypocrisy of those who are capable of treating the unborn like a disposable piece of property, and then claiming to have a problem with our country's history when certain people were treated like disposable property also.

As far as blowing up abortion clinics, and killing abortion doctors, have you heard of the Harper's Ferry Raid? "John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry was an effort by armed abolitionist John Brown to initiate an armed slave revolt in 1859 by taking over a United States arsenal at Harpers Ferry, Virginia. Brown's party of 22[1] was defeated by a company of U.S. Marines, led by First Lieutenant Israel Greene.[3]"

This is a perfect example of history repeating itself. There are so many similarities with the abortion debate and the slavery debate. Again, if you are pro-choice, then you are exactly like a confederate.

6. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by TennisOps View Post
    I agree, I think that there are more important issues to concentrate on and I think that they should be a reminder of where we came from and how far we have evolved from those times. Also as a reminder not to get back to those times.
    Thank you. We should never treat other humans being as if they are nothing.

8. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by zantax View Post
    A more apt analogy would be taking one down and then pretending it didn't happen. If they had one, I would prefer they kept it and maybe put up a plaque next to it reminding people what he did. Or took it down and then put up something reminding people what he did and that it was at one time supported enough that a monument to him once stood there.
    Please read....
    http://forums.hannity.com/showthread...w-your-history

Place in museum and history books.....

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Mischievous
    Ideology
    Don't like politics
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by TennisOps View Post
    I agree, I think that there are more important issues to concentrate on and I think that they should be a reminder of where we came from and how far we have evolved from those times. Also as a reminder not to get back to those times.
    I disagree....

Public lands should not be used to honor slavery and the killing of americans....

If the right want to honor slavery and celebrate thr killing of americans they are free to do such on their own private property.....
    this post is coming from inside your house.....

12. Sponsored Links

13. Likes party-free liked this post
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by thomasereese View Post
    I don't care one way or the other about the statues or the flags. What I find disturbing is the hypocrisy of those who are capable of treating the unborn like a disposable piece of property, and then claiming to have a problem with our country's history when certain people were treated like disposable property also.

As far as blowing up abortion clinics, and killing abortion doctors, have you heard of the Harper's Ferry Raid? "John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry was an effort by armed abolitionist John Brown to initiate an armed slave revolt in 1859 by taking over a United States arsenal at Harpers Ferry, Virginia. Brown's party of 22[1] was defeated by a company of U.S. Marines, led by First Lieutenant Israel Greene.[3]"

This is a perfect example of history repeating itself. There are so many similarities with the abortion debate and the slavery debate. Again, if you are pro-choice, then you are exactly like a confederate.
    So your comparing.....
    Countless of African's forcefully removed from the countries....
    Pack in ships like sardines....
    Bought and traded like cattle....
    Families ripped apart.....
    Countless killings on an entire race......
    Which still continues under the same flag/monuments white people embrace....
    To....
    A woman that makes a personal choice to aborting a fetus.

"Ill take 'Why the **** are These Two Topics in the Same Discussion' for 500 Alex...."

15. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGouki View Post

In some ways I'm proud that they fought for Mississippi and the south. On the other hand, the cause they fought for was absolutely appalling.
    Yes, it was appalling. And the confederates tried to sugar-coat it by claiming they were fighting for state's rights. Sorry, I don't buy it. They were fighting for the right to own slaves.

The same goes with the pro-choice group. They give speeches on women's empowerment. On their right to mammograms and health care. (no one is against women getting healthcare). It is all cleverly worded with no mention of abortion or killing babies. But that is what their speeches are about. It is about abortion, which I find appalling.

17. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by vaard View Post
    I disagree....

Public lands should not be used to honor slavery and the killing of americans....

If the right want to honor slavery and celebrate thr killing of americans they are free to do such on their own private property.....
    Have to agree, any such monuments should at the very least be amended to point that out. But like I said, I am also ok with taking them down altogether and replacing them with tributes to the people who suffered under slavery and Jim Crow. With the exception of any monuments simply commemorating the fallen without glorifying the cause.

My initial knee jerk reaction was not to take them down so it's not forgotten that it happened but after reflecting I realize leaving up monuments to them is not the only way it can be remembered that they and their ideas were once embraced. Memorialize the victims, not the victimizers. But it should also be remembered that many who fought for the south, didn't have a lot of choice in the matter.
    Self appointed forum Mark Zuckerberg, feel free to ask me if any news story is real or fake.

19. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Post Like Stats

I disagree....

LOL
    If the right want to honor slavery and celebrate thr killing of americans
    =
    All republicans are not racist but all racist are republicans............

21. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

So your comparing.....
    Countless of African's forcefully removed from the countries....
    Pack in ships like sardines....
    Bought and traded like cattle....
    Families ripped apart.....
    Countless killings on an entire race......
    Which still continues under the same flag/monuments white people embrace....
    To....
    A woman that makes a personal choice to aborting a fetus.

"Ill take 'Why the **** are These Two Topics in the Same Discussion' for 500 Alex...."

No I am actually comparing an early settler's right to make a choice as to how he is going to tend to his land, with......

countless tiny dead babies packed in garbage cans like sardines, ripped apart by their limbs, skulls pierced, spines severed, and some were even burned: The baby was not only poisoned, but also chemically burned alive from the inside out. The outer layer of his skin is burned off. It will take him over an hour to die. The saline solution also induces contractions, so about a day later, the mother will give birth to her dead baby, although some babies have survived.

And feminists proudly stand up and claim that they have had an abortion. Sad, isn't it. This is still happening as we speak. Are you doing anything about it?

However, as I stated in the OP, I am comparing the two debates as to why each should be accepted, not all the horrors that go on with each.

23. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Mischievous
    Ideology
    Don't like politics
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by zantax View Post
    Have to agree, any such monuments should at the very least be amended to point that out. But like I said, I am also ok with taking them down altogether and replacing them with tributes to the people who suffered under slavery and Jim Crow. With the exception of any monuments simply commemorating the fallen without glorifying the cause.

My initial knee jerk reaction was not to take them down so it's not forgotten that it happened but after reflecting I realize leaving up monuments to them is not the only way it can be remembered that they and their ideas were once embraced. Memorialize the victims, not the victimizers. But it should also be remembered that many who fought for the south, didn't have a lot of choice in the matter.
    Thank you....

And just as not every nazi soldier was evil, neither was every confederate...... some were fighting as victims of circumstances of being born within the borders of evil empires......
    this post is coming from inside your house.....

25. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Liberal Lackey
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGouki View Post
    I agree. They are monuments to white supremacism.

The United States dropped the ball during reconstruction. They should have stamped out confederate nationalism. By not doing so black southerners were forced to suffer a century of humiliation by the resurgent neo-confederates who took back their power once the US Army pulled out in 1876 and 1877.
    Rutherford B Hayes.

a terrible President.

basically abandoned the blacks to the KKK.

Allan

27. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Geeky
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

I disagree....

Might want to rephrase that Since at the End of the Civil war those People were considered Americans.
    And since we do HONOR the death of Americans in many public lands with memorials to them

So what do you think about the
    Monuments to the confederate soldiers at Gettysburg?
    Jack Burton: May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.

29. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

The thing that's funny about this statement, "Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it". This is okay when it comes to defending the confederacy. However, if me as an African American bitch whine and complain about slavery I'm told to get over it. We talk about slavery, the same way Jews talk about the Holocaust. Their motto is never forget. When it comes to me and those that look like me, we are told to forget and get over it, that was a long time ago. To top things off, there is an effort erase it or make less than it was.
    Stay Woke......

31. Sponsored Links

32. Likes reflechissez liked this post
    Post Like Stats

LOL

=
    All republicans are not racist but all racist are republicans............
    Lol beckel just fired for racial slurs is a liberal.

34. Sponsored Links