Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Like Stats

Default The President and the Pope

What result would you like to see from the meeting between President Trump and Pope Francis?

2. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

When is the meeting between Trump and the Pope?
    “Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

4. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by jwil59 View Post
    I hear you on the hospice stage. For profit companies have to make a living i guess Meri. The hard news just is not really in demand anymore or they would give it to us as long as they could make money off of it. Could it be that people now days want to be spoon fed instead of actually having to think?
    My worries for the media began years ago when larger corporations started buying up hometown newspapers. I am not a big fan of corporations to begin with--preferring single owners and/or partnerships. The example I usually give is that there shouldn't be a McDonald's (or three) in every town; there should be privately owned hamburger stands, each unique, each individually run. Let more people be business people--not low wage employees.

One sure way to guarantee a food fight is to begin spoon feeding everyone. Let's take a lesson from toddlers. They won't tolerate being spoon fed for long. If I were a corporation or a big government agency, I'd take heed from that simple observation.

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

hopefully he will denounce him and the rc faith as a false religion.

8. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Happy
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Do you think there are to many stripes of conservative to keep up with now days?
    What was that old biblical quote again, "There will be many who will say 'I am he.'"

I think the same case is made with "conservatism." There is an odd counter melody throughout history, deceit and ignorance. In many cases the ignorance is genuine. The "Founding Fathers" had access to a lot of the Greek and Roman classics, but not much of the Church Fathers, because the Reformation had managed to purge a lot of it from the classical reading materials. Thus when they saw the problems of the "English Reformation" they accidentally reinvented "subsidiarity" and called it "federalism."

Likewise the reversal of the godless progressive movement of the early 20th century gave rise the the godless libertarian movement of the early 20th century.Like the Founding Fathers before them, they too can go overboard on the notion of "private property" because without a solid foundation in god, there isn't much difference between other people and your ox and ass. Some Founding Fathers used it to excuse slavery (note that slavery wasn't promoted as a noble thing until the early 19th century, before that it was a necessary evil because those who practiced it relied so much on export goods that they were often flat out broke). Some Austrian Libertarians promote the exploitation of workers in order to make a profit.

The two concepts actually had voice in two people, Ayn Rand for the godless side, and William F. Buckley Jr. for the "Catholic" side. But as both sides were drowned out, they tended to merge into a blended form. The rise of the Neo Conservative only helped confuse the issue because the progressive movement had divided between the peace progressives and the war progressives, the later becoming the Neocon.

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Happy
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DRS View Post
    Anarchists are not liberals
    Anti-Fa are not anarchists. Anyone who wants the government to do MORE isn't an anarchist by definition. Anyone who wants the government to suppress opposing views isn't anarchist. If you want to get really technical (understanding that words do matter and people who know words matter will knowingly use words incorrectly to great effect) the Anti-Fa use every tactic from the Fascist playbook possible.

Even the term "liberal" is a lie. Liberals are, more or less, Utopian. This eventually derives from the Greek notion of a superior class who for some reason is destined to rule the masses somehow justly. Every form of this philosophy basically divides the people into classes, even when they insist that they are "classless" (Communism really had two people; party members and everyone else).

Liberals do not seek "equality" they seek "superiority" for themselves.

12. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Happy
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Meriweather View Post
    My worries for the media began years ago when larger corporations started buying up hometown newspapers.
    The best local "rag" in my town doesn't even have a print edition. It's all online. And while I don't often agree with her politics she does maintain journalism standards. The paper that does come out from the town is blatantly Democratic, but does cover local non political topics fairly. The local locality (our local school district straddles two townships) newspaper is exceptionally popular for its local coverage.

The "McDonalds" problem is an interesting one. Think about this carefully, you are basically arguing for a subsidiarity model over a federalist model. Under the McDonalds model, a McDonalds in the US is not the same as a McDonalds in France, or India, or China.

McDonalds is basically a "Franchise" system "A franchise is a type of license that a party (franchisee) acquires to allow them to have access to a business's (the franchiser) proprietary knowledge, processes and trademarks in order to allow the party to sell a product or provide a service under the business's name." So they are, technically speaking, privately owned.

At that point you have to consider the granularity of the ownership; one person may own the stores in multiple nearby towns. This happens in many businesses including automobile dealerships.

14. Sponsored Links

Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by tzor View Post
    Anti-Fa are not anarchists. Anyone who wants the government to do MORE isn't an anarchist by definition. Anyone who wants the government to suppress opposing views isn't anarchist. If you want to get really technical (understanding that words do matter and people who know words matter will knowingly use words incorrectly to great effect) the Anti-Fa use every tactic from the Fascist playbook possible.

Even the term "liberal" is a lie. Liberals are, more or less, Utopian. This eventually derives from the Greek notion of a superior class who for some reason is destined to rule the masses somehow justly. Every form of this philosophy basically divides the people into classes, even when they insist that they are "classless" (Communism really had two people; party members and everyone else).

Liberals do not seek "equality" they seek "superiority" for themselves.
    Have you watched the tv lately? We are a classless society.

16. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Jubilant
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

It's the media's job to cut through all that nonsense and present something intelligent.
    No it isn't. It's the media's "job" to make money and to dumb-down the populace. It's what they're paid to do. And they're doing an excellent job of it. Flawless.

Sucks. But I don't make the rules. And that's life.

God or Mammon. Nobody should take His words lightly. They are profound.
    Quote Originally Posted by lwdc View Post
    I want Americans to have control of their money, and LET AMERICANS DECIDE if they want to pay for the bailouts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7426k View Post
    It's not America's money. It seems an unpleasant reality, but it's the facts.

18. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Jubilant
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Clinton lied to the American people and to the victim's families about what happened in Benghazi. It appears a cover-up occurred there because of how close the Benghazi event was to the 2012 election. Where was the news media shouting that Obama may have been unfairly elected in 2012; that had the media investigated and pounded this story we would have had, in 2012, the mess the media is helping to create today.
    Oh good grief! You are bewitched. You are proving you are as vulnerable to the media's spin as anyone. Do you really think that's what Benghazi was all about? It and the cover-up had nothing to do with the election. Nothing. There were more serious matters at stake: the election was not one of them.

BENGHAZII!!!!1!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I want Americans to have control of their money, and LET AMERICANS DECIDE if they want to pay for the bailouts

20. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Jubilant
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

And, I am all in favor of DRAINING THE SWAMP, particularly Swamps Pelosi and Waters, both from California.
    If you truly are for draining the swamp, then Pelosi and Waters are the least of your problems. They are actresses in a stage play and you empower them with your attention, positive or negative.

Trump has done nothing to drain the swamp. He has filled it as much as Clinton would have.

22. Sponsored Links

23. Likes jwil59 liked this post
    My Mood
    Jubilant
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

OP, you would rather believe the lies of the media than what candid captured moments, as well as plain common sense, would tell you:

25. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Jubilant
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

The question is whether the conservative audience has enough gumption and power to hit them where it hurts.
    They would, if they weren't so damned stupid, gullible, and as duped by the media as the bleeding hearts they bitch about.

Until we gather together and refuse to watch the one-sided pap being presented nothing will change. If they put it off too long they might learn that we have learned to do without them altogether. Not such a bad thing.
    Yep. And the first person who should start refusing to watch the pap is oneself.

27. Sponsored Links

28. Likes jwil59 liked this post
    My Mood
    Content
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

My worries for the media began years ago when larger corporations started buying up hometown newspapers. I am not a big fan of corporations to begin with--preferring single owners and/or partnerships. The example I usually give is that there shouldn't be a McDonald's (or three) in every town; there should be privately owned hamburger stands, each unique, each individually run. Let more people be business people--not low wage employees.

One sure way to guarantee a food fight is to begin spoon feeding everyone. Let's take a lesson from toddlers. They won't tolerate being spoon fed for long. If I were a corporation or a big government agency, I'd take heed from that simple observation.
    I agree.................My hometown paper has bought up most of the others in my part of the state. Very left wing paper for Alabama. I predict they will go belly up before long if they keep up the liberal talking points cause this state is about as red and red can get. All they offer is a couple colums from a couple conservative writers but they share the same page with folks like Eugene Robinson. I read the local section they call Riverfront and not much of the rest. I get most of my news from the politics forum on here.

“Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been. ”
    ― Jimmy Buffett

30. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Jubilant
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by DRS View Post
    FNC and talk radio exist to get people to vote Republican. They demonize Democrats at all costs and support whatever Republicans are being paid to support.
    It's much deeper than that. They exist to divide people and foment strife. Getting people to vote Republican is just a cheap and tiny by-product.

32. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Jubilant
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Could it be that people now days want to be spoon fed instead of actually having to think?
    Pretty much, yeah.

I do not have the answer
    Yes you do.

34. Sponsored Links

35. Likes jwil59 liked this post