Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Default New York City crime stats....Why is this? Well.....

Read an interesting crime stat from New York City. Just wondering why, and what the solutions may be?

With regard to race, which is often discussed by the media by the way...( and politicians as well..)
    ...Blacks make up 23% of the population, but account for 75% of shootings and 70% of robberies.
    ...Whites make up 34% of the population but account for just 2% of shootings and 4% of robberies.

...So the question is why does such a small percent of the population, blacks, commit such a high percentage of robberies and shootings?
    ...What are the underlying causes of this?
    ...What may be the solutions to those causes?

This is likely doesn't just pertain to New York, but likely other cities such as Chicago, Memphis, Birmingham. Baltimore, D.C. etc...
    ....Will the media touch this issue or politicize it, or cover it up? Just think if shootings and robberies were at 2 and 4% for ALL races...What would cities look like then?

Again, what are some real steps that could put a dent in this problem?

2. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Offended
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGouki View Post
    You shouldn't tell people to forget crimes against humanity.

My favorite statement on race in America was actually posted by someone on this very forum not long after I joined.

"The problem with race in America is that blacks often dwell too much on the past while whites act like it never even happened."

Telling a black person to "forget" about slavery is no different than telling a Jewish person to "forget" about the Holocaust. These are crimes that must be remembered and respected. They defined the entire course of history for entire ethnic groups. But we shouldn't let it control us.

There's a balance that has to be found.
    Outstanding!

4. Sponsored Links

5. Likes Camp liked this post
    My Mood
    Offended
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaert View Post
    You don't get to decide the duration for reconciliation.
    Agreed. But...

7. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky SF Dude View Post
    Like I said, I'm sorry that happened to you. Thanks for sharing.

What part of the country?
    Northern NJ.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

9. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by poorblackman View Post
    I never got involved in any political demonstrations. I would be walking to work or going to the store and random people would do this. I don't wear any clothes that project anything that might remotely instigate such actions. It is just part of life here and it affects what you do even when you aren't conscious of it. Depending on ones level of self control or lack thereof , that reaction to these events can be catastrophic.

A few weeks ago, I went to a friends restaurant to hang out here in the states. He's Japanese (from Japan) and he was happy to see me because I'd been away for quite a stretch on business. He was a bit drunk and he hugged me when we met - he also rubbed my head. Now this was considered one of the most offensive things you could do to a black person when I was growing up. Whites would rub their house ******s or favorite slaves head for good luck. My parents told me to never let anyone do that do you when I was a child. Part of me internally freaked out completely but the rational side of me said: " He has no idea about this history, chill out" and I did just let it go.

I was amazed at how fast that long forgotten lesson which lurked deep inside of me popped right to the surface. I was in full defense mode over it in milliseconds even though the only time it happened to me before was when some neighbor did it when I was small. I valued the friendship more than the pride and I never spoke to my friend about it. Not everyone has that self control unfortunately.
    I think that is a rule in most black households

11. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Liberal Lackey
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Yeah, you have a lot of cops.

They aren't a problem here in the country either. We don't have a lot of cops.
    massive tax payments has its privledges. Lotsa cops. Hell my small city here in jersey is chuck full of police.

you basically have to defend yourselves. Here in jersey we pay for protection. And NYC too.

when I have called the police show up like right away. And are ready to take care of business.

i like a low crime rate.

Allan

13. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Offended
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
    massive tax payments has its privledges. Lotsa cops. Hell my small city here in jersey is chuck full of police.

you basically have to defend yourselves. Here in jersey we pay for protection. And NYC too.

when I have called the police show up like right away. And are ready to take care of business.

i like a low crime rate.

Allan
    I don't really consider a lot of cops to be a privilege.

I like a few cops.

15. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Offended
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by poorblackman View Post
    Northern NJ.
    Damn, well that's a bit surprising.

There are ignorant people everywhere I guess.

You're welcome at my place anytime. Even if you are a yankee.

17. Sponsored Links

18. Likes poorblackman liked this post
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Liberal Lackey
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

I don't really consider a lot of cops to be a privilege.

I like a few cops.
    Police protection is a huge perk in NYC.

But it I guess each to his own.

When i I walk by midtown north police hq and see massive amount of armed police officers, I feel protected. Where I work in the city, crime is almost nonexistent.

now Texas on the other hand......

Allan

20. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Offended
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
    Police protection is a huge perk in NYC.

But it I guess each to his own.

When i I walk by midtown north police hq and see massive amount of armed police officers, I feel protected. Where I work in the city, crime is almost nonexistent.

now Texas on the other hand......

Allan
    Crime is non-existent where I live.

22. Sponsored Links

Post Like Stats

Damn, well that's a bit surprising.

There are ignorant people everywhere I guess.

You're welcome at my place anytime. Even if you are a yankee.
    Yeah - it doesn't really matter where you are. The Northeast is the most segregated part of the country oddly enough despite the liberal rhetoric of it being more inclusive.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

24. Sponsored Links

25. Likes Sponge Bob liked this post
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Conservative Libertarian
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by SpadeMarlowe View Post
    INHO....the 'balance' has been reached.
    Yes we should remember and respect it', there is time and place for it, but constantly
    drawing attention to it and calling for it to never be resolved as a problem is
    a bad idea. You need to accept the idea of HEALING and moving on
    instead of constantly searching for someone who is guilty TODAY of it and what happened in the past.
    I don't see Jews throwing darts at every German-speaking person
    they meet. The only time they talk about it is if it's an Anniversary or
    something new to see.
    You on the other hand use it and politicize it
    and that is my greatest objection.
    I don't use it for ****. Don't put words in my mouth. Most people here know my upbringing. I'm an outsider to the black community.

27. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Bellicose
    Ideology
    Barry Goldwater Conservative
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by SpadeMarlowe View Post
    INHO....the 'balance' has been reached.
    Yes we should remember and respect it', there is time and place for it, but constantly
    drawing attention to it and calling for it to never be resolved as a problem is
    a bad idea. You need to accept the idea of HEALING and moving on
    instead of constantly searching for someone who is guilty TODAY of it and what happened in the past.
    I don't see Jews throwing darts at every German-speaking person
    they meet. The only time they talk about it is if it's an Anniversary or
    something new to see.
    You on the other hand use it and politicize it
    and that is my greatest objection.
    My son has bee n to Germany three times in 4 years to study. 1st time he lived with German family, 2nd time went with college German class, and third time lived with German students at university there. Got back in December.. Germans vow to never forget the Nazi atrocities. They are a nation contrite for that past history.

There is no contrition for past atrocities in this country. We show no contrition for slavery, for treatment of native Americans, or for even the tens of thousands of non military civilians in Japan ending the war. No contrition for being the only nation to use nuclear weapons. Jews dont need to throw darts...Germany is sufficiently contrite as a modern country
    That does not ignore Hitler's atrocities.

29. Sponsored Links

30. Likes Reinaert liked this post
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by konssurvative1 View Post
    My son has bee n to Germany three times in 4 years to study. 1st time he lived with German family, 2nd time went with college German class, and third time lived with German students at university there. Got back in December.. Germans vow to never forget the Nazi atrocities. They are a nation contrite for that past history.

There is no contrition for past atrocities in this country. We show no contrition for slavery, for treatment of native Americans, or for even the tens of thousands of non military civilians in Japan ending the war. No contrition for being the only nation to use nuclear weapons. Jews dont need to throw darts...Germany is sufficiently contrite as a modern country
    That does not ignore Hitler's atrocities.
    There is a lot here but a quick comment on no contrition for using nuclear weapons....No attack on Pearl Harbor, no nuclear weapons dropped on Japan. That saved tens of thousands of American troops that would have been lost in an invasion....

32. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Chilled like fine wine
    Ideology
    Progressive Liberal
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Never once have I even remotely suggested that racism does not exist today. The question was about "institutional racism."
    Some excerpts for you to ponder:

Let’s start with pre-school. Black pre-schoolers are far more likely to be suspended than white children, NPR reported. Black children make up 18 percent of the pre-school population, but represent almost half of all out-of-school suspensions.

Once you get to K-12, black children are three times more likely to be suspended than white children. Black students make up almost 40 percent of all school expulsions, and more than two thirds of students referred to police from schools are either black or Hispanic, says the Department of Education.
    In the workplace, black college graduates are twice as likely as whites to struggle to find jobs - the jobless rate for blacks has been double that of whites for decades. A study even found that people with “black-sounding names” had to send out 50 percent more job applications than people with “white-sounding names” just to get a call back.
    A black man is three times more likely to be searched at a traffic stop, and six times more likely to go jail than a white person. Blacks make up nearly 40 percent of arrests for violent crimes.

Blacks aren’t pulled over (and subsequently jailed) more frequently because they’re more prone to criminal behavior. They’re pulled over much more frequently because there is an “implicit racial association of black Americans with dangerous or aggressive behavior,” the Sentencing Project found.
    Much more at the link. If you do not see nay of this as institutional racism, there truly is nothing more to discuss.

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/at...ur-way-of-life

Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.

34. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Impish
    Ideology
    Independent
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Man View Post
    Let's see. Is it because black Americans are genetically disposed to violent crime and stealing stuff? That white people are genetically superior in many ways and therefore less likely to do things like this?

I think maybe the previous suggestion might be what you are looking for. Mass deportations. We'll have system well tuned for it after all of the deportations back to Central America.
    It's obviously not skin color, I think the gang banging - rap culture has more to do with it. It doesn't seem to be as big of a issue in other western countries were black citizens live. We have a society that glorifies violence. And why I enjoy the occasional rap song on the radio a lot of the lyrics are straight up shoot shoot kill kill. I am not saying ban music etc... just that a lot of the youth in inner cities embrace this violet culture.

36. Sponsored Links