Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Default New York City crime stats....Why is this? Well.....

Read an interesting crime stat from New York City. Just wondering why, and what the solutions may be?

With regard to race, which is often discussed by the media by the way...( and politicians as well..)
    ...Blacks make up 23% of the population, but account for 75% of shootings and 70% of robberies.
    ...Whites make up 34% of the population but account for just 2% of shootings and 4% of robberies.

...So the question is why does such a small percent of the population, blacks, commit such a high percentage of robberies and shootings?
    ...What are the underlying causes of this?
    ...What may be the solutions to those causes?

This is likely doesn't just pertain to New York, but likely other cities such as Chicago, Memphis, Birmingham. Baltimore, D.C. etc...
    ....Will the media touch this issue or politicize it, or cover it up? Just think if shootings and robberies were at 2 and 4% for ALL races...What would cities look like then?

Again, what are some real steps that could put a dent in this problem?

2. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Blacks today are not held back by slavery or Jim Crow laws, they are held back by blaiming slavery and Jim Crow for their problems. The bad experiences of our ancestors do not inhibit us in any way. If anything, the knowledge of the difficulties that they faced should make us stronger, not weaker.
    And the financial and structural disparity of all of that just gets fixed with the flick of a switch huh?

4. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by zantax View Post
    I grew up poor and white, somehow my family missed out on all that slave money. And many of those immigrants didn't have much of anything when they came here either. If you can't make a living in America, you aren't putting forth much of an effort.
    Who is saying anything about making a living? What is an issue is equality. It may seem equal on paper, but in practice it is radically different.

I grew up poor and white too. And I'm an immigrant. And I definitely got more breaks because of my race than I would have otherwise.

6. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
    Black and other non white people from Apartheid era South Africa seem to make it in the U S.

Care to explain that?
    What point are you trying to prove here? That African Americans are somehow inferior?

8. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky SF Dude View Post
    The Indians gave better than they got, they were just overwhelmed.
    They did indeed...

10. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by westaussie View Post
    Why stop at those crimes? Perhaps you are able to provide the relevant percentages for:

(i) insider trading;
    (ii) corporate fraud?

Also, are you able to provide the value of property stolen in robberies compared to the totals for corporate fraud?
    More deflection of course. Why not answer the question? Why does a certain segment of the population produce so much violent crime, i.e. Shootings and robberies? Lot of people say poverty, but so many in poverty do NOT rob, steal, and shoot others. Poverty is no excuse to forcibly take from someone else....
    ...So what is the answer? This is an issue that plagues many cities across America..The left runs from it like it is radioactive blaming everyone else......What if those rates were two and four percent vs 70 and 75? Think quality of life would be better for all? Get real..

12. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Man View Post
    And the financial and structural disparity of all of that just gets fixed with the flick of a switch huh?
    Of course not, but slavery was abolished over 150 years ago and Jim Crow ended 52 years ago. Get over it already.

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep." - Saul Bellow

14. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Calm
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Man View Post
    What point are you trying to prove here? That African Americans are somehow inferior?
    Nope.

A few posters keep pointing to black peoples in the states' history of slavery & discrimination.

Cape Malay & Indonesians were brought to South Africa as cheap labor.

Non whites as well as mixed race individuals were forcibly uprooted from neighborhoods where they had lived for years & mixed outside their own groups for years & forced to live & attend segregated schools.

Most likely they didn't get a lot of the same opportunities as minority whites.

Why is it, then, with a history of forced uprooting & discrimination many who emigrate to the U S are academically & professionally successful while some native borns fall behind?

16. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Liberal Lackey
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by 4speed View Post
    More deflection of course. Why not answer the question? Why does a certain segment of the population produce so much violent crime, i.e. Shootings and robberies? Lot of people say poverty, but so many in poverty do NOT rob, steal, and shoot others. Poverty is no excuse to forcibly take from someone else....
    ...So what is the answer? This is an issue that plagues many cities across America..The left runs from it like it is radioactive blaming everyone else......What if those rates were two and four percent vs 70 and 75? Think quality of life would be better for all? Get real..
    once again this is no black (or any other race) crime problem in NYC.

its a figment of your imagination.

allan

18. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Liberal Lackey
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky SF Dude View Post
    No. I don't have any of that. I live outside a nice little town where we don't steal from each other.
    where,s the proof.

what the murder rate. Robbery. Burglary.

we need stats not antedotes.

for instance Dover.

2015 (latest stats)

murders and rapes 0

arsons 0

robberies 15

burgalary 44

20. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Devilish
    Ideology
    Existential Nihilist
    Post Like Stats

OP: NYC crime so bad, look there, black people.

All: NYC not bad, black people are all right

OP: stop deflecting from my point about black people
    "This was your heart, this swarm of flies. This was once your mouth, this bowl of lies." - Leonard Cohen

22. Sponsored Links

23. Likes 7ranz liked this post
    My Mood
    Tired
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
    where,s the proof.

what the murder rate. Robbery. Burglary.

we need stats not antedotes.

for instance Dover.

2015 (latest stats)

murders and rapes 0

arsons 0

robberies 15

burgalary 44
    As I pointed out to you earlier, with a link about it no less, you can't trust NYPD crime stats. They are infamous for fudging the stats to give the illusion of safety.

And as I explained its easy to do. Classify a burglary as a misdemeanor theft (one is reportable on the FBI crime stats, the other is not). Lump victims of crimes together in one case report so it appears there is only one crime rather than multiple.

Crime stats are only as accurate as the honesty in how they are reported and police depts everywhere, especially the NYPD, lie constantly about stats for political reasons.

Furthermore its not really accurate to compare stats across states because differing laws mean different things get counted. What gets classified as a robbery in one state may only be a misdemeanor petit theft in another (pick pocketing for instance). One gets counted, the other does not.

And you should never ever never use rape as any sort of bench mark. Most rapes go unreported so what do you think happens if a city and dept gets really progressive, sympathetic, and professional in how they handle rape investigations - their rape stats go up significantly is what happens because more victims come forward.

25. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Inspired
    Ideology
    Liberal Lackey
    Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    As I pointed out to you earlier, with a link about it no less, you can't trust NYPD crime stats. They are infamous for fudging the stats to give the illusion of safety.

And as I explained its easy to do. Classify a burglary as a misdemeanor theft (one is reportable on the FBI crime stats, the other is not). Lump victims of crimes together in one case report so it appears there is only one crime rather than multiple.

Crime stats are only as accurate as the honesty in how they are reported and police depts everywhere, especially the NYPD, lie constantly about stats for political reasons.

Furthermore its not really accurate to compare stats across states because differing laws mean different things get counted. What gets classified as a robbery in one state may only be a misdemeanor petit theft in another (pick pocketing for instance). One gets counted, the other does not.

And you should never ever never use rape as any sort of bench mark. Most rapes go unreported so what do you think happens if a city and dept gets really progressive, sympathetic, and professional in how they handle rape investigations - their rape stats go up significantly is what happens because more victims come forward.
    I think if there were a murder in my town, everyone would be talking about it. Nothing. so there were no murders in Dover. Thats a guarantee. I cant remember the last armed robbery. again all the tongues would be wagging. its a close knit community, so if someone spits on the sidewalk everyone knows about it. Shootings. also 0.

now I don't know about burglaries except that none have taken place in my condo complex here.

but I am sure they happen, along with assaults, fist fights. etc and car do get stolen.

Allan

27. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Tired
    Ideology
    Get off my lawn
    Post Like Stats

Which Dover? Because if its Dover, Delaware crime is spiking at an alarming rate for the city relative to the past.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...rime/89927806/

The shooting was the third in the month of August in Dover and the ninth in 2016. In 2015, Dover saw a record seven homicides.

Other crimes have followed suit. A Dover Police Department report recently sent to City Council showed robberies have increased 150 percent (from 14 to 35) in the first six months of 2016 compared with 2015. Assaults have increased 21 percent (from 517 to 625); burglaries, 62 percent (from 37 to 60); and weapons law violations, 73 percent (from 55 to 95).
    Just because you don't hear about something doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The media often only knows what the police tell them and the police have a vested political interest in keeping up the illusion of a nice safe city because they'll be the first to be blamed for out of control crime. This goes back to the heart of why police departments nationwide fudge crime stats. If you suddenly see a huge influx of self reporting by the police to the media you can bet that administrators are pushing for a budget increase or something similar and need a perceived crime wave to justify it. Most times though they want to create the perception of Mayberry in order to make it appear they are doing a good job. Rank and file officers like me hate this which is why so many of us are so vocal about reality but admin types are the ones do the stat collection and their jobs depend on a nice safe city perception.
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; April 21st, 2017 at 12:35 pm.

29. Sponsored Links

My Mood
    Assiduous
    Ideology
    Independent
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by 4speed View Post
    Now why do so many white Americans indulge in corporate fraud and insider trading and rip-of milllions or billions of dollars?
    obscurum per obscurius
    ignotum per ignotius

31. Sponsored Links