Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Conservative Libertarian
    Post Like Stats

Default Are non-whites doing better in countries that do not have "White Privilege"?

There have been a number of threads I have read over the past few years (here and other forums) discussing the notion of "White Privilege." For those who hold this view (I'm not looking to debate the notion here) you must also believe that this phenomenon has had and is continuing to have a negative impact on the lives of non-white people in America (if it is indeed a real phenomenon logically it must be having a negative impact on peoples lives). If that is the case, must it not also be the case that non-whites living in non-white countries must be better off than non-whites here? If I understand the phenomenon correctly it can not exist in countries in which there are not a significant majority of white people? Curious on others thoughts.

My Mood
    Happy
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by force_field View Post
    Go​ learn what white privilege means, then come back to the conversation. It does not mean that. No one has ever said it means that.
    Ok, there is no intelligent life here, lets nuke this planet and dust off...
    Hillary GONE! Obama GONE! Bubba GONE! AGW GONE! Obamacare Pray!
    Ronald Reagan's 9 most terrifying words in the English language: "I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

3. Sponsored Links
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Angra Mainyu View Post
    All of those nations were dominated, colonized or militarily forced into one sided trade agreements by European nations. They elude European domination because they revolted.
    White Skin isn't going to get you far in any of those countries in 2017.
    If we allow politicians to succeed by scaring people, we donít actually end up any safer. Fear doesnít make us safer. It makes us weaker - Justin Trudeau Prime Minister of Canada.

My Mood
    Happy
    Ideology
    Conservative
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Mex View Post
    You are basically calling their bluff.
    CRAP!!!!

Where is that nuke abort code???????

Hillary GONE! Obama GONE! Bubba GONE! AGW GONE! Obamacare Pray!
    Ronald Reagan's 9 most terrifying words in the English language: "I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Conservative Libertarian
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    Horse **** - According to Urban Dictionary, horse **** is something worse than bull ****.

The bolded? That's horse ****.
    "Regarding the rest of us all things being the same (i.e. socioeconomic status, stable family, etc.) the obstacles faced are going to be the essentially the same."

Okay, so this statement you regard as Horse****. Could you please detail those obstacles that a non-white person/family would face that a white family would not given the same town, socioeconomic status, etc? Also how would you quantify the impact that this phenomenon is having?

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Conservative Libertarian
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Gaetano "Tommy" Lucchese View Post
    The dominant ethnic group in any polyglot nation always has a social advantage. It's like being Serbian when there was a Yugoslavia. Or Great Russian in Russia. Or Arab in Libya or Tunisia. Or Han Chinese in China. Or. . .I could go on.
    That is not what I'm asking/saying. How are non-whites doing in America as compared to their counterparts in say their country of origin for example that are dominated by their particular race?

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter81 View Post
    Oh I think you make a great point here.

But that does not mean there are not problems to solve with poverty, race and class mobility in this country. Most everyone wants to be arms length away from the problem (regardless of how they feel about the problem) so as to not impact their own little world. It is indeed a rare and great person who get's on a plane and risks their lives to help people in other nations deal with huge crises (be it health or natural disaster).....I would argue though that recognizing there is an issue that needs to be addressed is a step ahead of believing everything is fine and there is nothing that needs fixing.....(and then making ones self feel better by saying..."People who think there is a problem are hypocrites"

So, do you think our country has an issue with poverty, class mobility and race?
    Yes, more class than anything else. But so long as we view this issue through a prism of Selma, Alabama in 1956 we'll never fix anything. As an ex-corrections officer I get really frustrated trying to converse with someone who talks about systemic racism in law enforcement from their McMansion in their gated community.
    Last edited by consigliere; March 21st, 2017 at 9:43 am. Reason: content

9. Likes 4speed liked this post
    My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Conservative Libertarian
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by adroit View Post
    The usual suspects in this thread don't understand what white privilege is.
    How would you quantify it's impact say for example in the same way sociologists develop statistics regarding children born and raised in poverty, single parent households, etc?

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by consigliere View Post
    Yes, more class than anything else. But so long as we view this issue through a prism of Selma, Alabama in 1956 we'll never fix anything. As an ex-corrections officer I get really frustrated trying to converse with someone who talks about systemic racism in law enforcement from their McMansion in their gated community.
    Fair point but so too is it frustrating trying to converse with someone who will not acknowledge a problem because they are not personally impacted by it (from their McMansion in their gated community). Point is I think that it is not a Left or right issue it is one class of people who cannot possible understand (or really want to) the issues and challenges with being the "have nots" in our society. Call it poverty....call it lack of class mobility (are the "haves" motivated to keep the status quo) call it systematic racism (not I am not saying in law enforcement....rather our society at large) I believe there is a social issue that needs to be addressed. Pretending there isn't a problem to solve is the main reason it never changes (or changes so slowly).

Post Like Stats

only time my skin helped me was in Israel... THEY LOVE BROTHAS IN ISRAEL

Blog Entries
    Post Like Stats

Fair point but so too is it frustrating trying to converse with someone who will not acknowledge a problem because they are not personally impacted by it (from their McMansion in their gated community). Point is I think that it is not a Left or right issue it is one class of people who cannot possible understand (or really want to) the issues and challenges with being the "have nots" in our society. Call it poverty....call it lack of class mobility (are the "haves" motivated to keep the status quo) call it systematic racism (not I am not saying in law enforcement....rather our society at large) I believe there is a social issue that needs to be addressed. Pretending there isn't a problem to solve is the main reason it never changes (or changes so slowly).
    Problem with the minorities are being kept down in America narrative is, many minority groups actually have a higher median household income than white people. Arab Americans, Indian Americans, Asian Americans, and Nigerian Americans to name a few. The poverty among African Americans is primarily the result of single parent families. That really cuts down the old income when you have one working parent instead of two in the family.
    Last edited by zantax; March 22nd, 2017 at 8:07 am.
    Self appointed forum Mark Zuckerberg, feel free to ask me if any news story is real or fake.

My Mood
    Sanguine
    Ideology
    Republican Party
    Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by zantax View Post
    Problem with the minorities are being kept down in America narrative is, many minority groups actually have a higher median household income than white people. Arab Americans, Indian Americans, Asian Americans, and Nigerian Americans to name a few. The poverty among African Americans is primarily the result of single parent families. That really cuts down the old income when you have one working parent instead of two in the family.

Sorry...not buying that. Single Parent families are a symptom of a larger social problem of poverty. It is not the root cause of poverty. I acknowledge your point that this is not simply about "white privilege" . However, perhaps we can agree the "wealth" in certain ethnic and racial groups (certainly the ones you have mentioned) is a function of imported wealth and strong cultural ties. It is also a very strong commitment to education that came from their culture that drives this success.

Are there factors (other than cultural deficiencies) which could explain why some slices of our society struggle to leverage class mobility?

Post Like Stats

Sorry...not buying that. Single Parent families are a symptom of a larger social problem of poverty. It is not the root cause of poverty. I acknowledge your point that this is not simply about "white privilege" . However, perhaps we can agree the "wealth" in certain ethnic and racial groups (certainly the ones you have mentioned) is a function of imported wealth and strong cultural ties. It is also a very strong commitment to education that came from their culture that drives this success.

Are there factors (other than cultural deficiencies) which could explain why some slices of our society struggle to leverage class mobility?
    If you are raised (or not) by older siblings or a harried great-grandmother, told at 5 or 6 that people who work hard or are kind or wait their turn in line are suckers, socially promoted through school, never disciplined, told "You don't have to listen to that white lady" about your teacher, drop out at 13 or 14 to smoke weed on the corner, and then by 18 or 19 have 3 or 4 kids you don't support and a few priors you are pretty much done and will spend the rest of your days doing life on the installment plan (1 year here, 2 years there). I had guys like that in my custody all the time.

We'll never fix that so long as we continue to blame all of this on "institutionalized racism" and throw tax money at the race hustlers and poverty pimps. We keep fronting the same solutions and expecting that "this time" we'll vault everyone into the middle class. And yeah, I bailed out of the city when I became a dad. I need to worry about my own kids. But at least I'm honest about it instead of pretending to care about the inner city while shopping at the sushi bar at Whole Foods out in the exurbs.

Post Like Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Keeper View Post
    There have been a number of threads I have read over the past few years (here and other forums) discussing the notion of "White Privilege." For those who hold this view (I'm not looking to debate the notion here) you must also believe that this phenomenon has had and is continuing to have a negative impact on the lives of non-white people in America (if it is indeed a real phenomenon logically it must be having a negative impact on peoples lives). If that is the case, must it not also be the case that non-whites living in non-white countries must be better off than non-whites here? If I understand the phenomenon correctly it can not exist in countries in which there are not a significant majority of white people? Curious on others thoughts.

Depends on the country. Every country has its ladder. In India its a caste system, despite India's insistence that it no longer does, its still there. In other countries, its religion, others its tribal. Every country has its own version of a " privileged " class. Its human nature.
    Democrats : THEY LIE TO US!! THEY PLAY ON OUR FEARS!!
    http://members.cox.net/hellsbane1/helsbanesig.jpg