Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 200

Thread: NEA Funding

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,736
    Rep Power
    14
    Post Like Stats

    Default NEA Funding

    Received this on my Facebook page.

    Immediately after the election Trump transition spokesman Jason Miller explained that Melania would be staying in New York because there was obviously a sensitivity to pulling out a 10-year-old in the middle of the school year.

    We have since learned that the cost of security for Melania and Barron to remain at Trump Tower is $183 million/year. There is also no indication that they will actually move to DC this summer. So in essence the Federal government is giving the Trump family a $183 million annual voucher so Barron can attend the elite private prep school of his choice.

    Meanwhile, we learned last night that Trump's budget would completely eliminate funding for the National Endowment for the Arts. The NEA, with an annual budget of only $148 million, is able to provide seed money for arts programming in literally every Congressional district in the country.

    So, on the one hand you have a $183 million school voucher for a single 10-year-old at an elite private school. On the other hand you have a program that impacts arts and cultural programming throughout the entire nation.

    Thoughts?
    One day I will say I use to have MS.

  2. Likes Native Sun liked this post
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    fishing a lake in my mind
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Bellicose
    Ideology
    Barry Goldwater Conservative
    Posts
    13,558
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    16
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Yes...i think funding of the arts should be left to those who want to find it. Not the federal government. An endowment is a gift, grant, a commission. Not a line item in a federal government. The government should not be in the business of funding the arts. A large amount of which goes to the corporation for public broadcasting. Run a ****ing commercial like all the other networks!

  5. Likes pennysworth, SpadeMarlowe liked this post
  6. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Constitutionalist
    Posts
    23,633
    Rep Power
    23
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Question. If she moves to the White House, will Trump Tower no longer need to be secured?

    I want the cost brought down. I think if your numbers are accurate, it's a stupid amount of money to be spending to guard a building. @ $100 per man hour, that's 5,000 people every day dedicated to guarding Trump Tower. Not sure I believe those numbers but if accurate, we definitely need to go find out what's driving the cost and fix it. Typical bloated government.
    If prison is good enough for Kristian Saucier over 6 photos on a private cell phone, Hillary should face prison for having classified information on a private server and private cell phones.

  7. Likes pennysworth liked this post
  8. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Defiant
    Ideology
    Constitutionalist
    Posts
    23,633
    Rep Power
    23
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Oh, and as far as the NEA, kill it. If you want art, fund it yourself. That's not a Federal government responsibility. Same goes for PBS and NPR.
    If prison is good enough for Kristian Saucier over 6 photos on a private cell phone, Hillary should face prison for having classified information on a private server and private cell phones.

  9. Likes Conan, pennysworth, SpadeMarlowe, 1989 liked this post
  10. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK, Norwich.
    Gender
    Male
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,656
    Rep Power
    16
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texashusker34 View Post
    Question. If she moves to the White House, will Trump Tower no longer need to be secured?

    I want the cost brought down. I think if your numbers are accurate, it's a stupid amount of money to be spending to guard a building. @ $100 per man hour, that's 5,000 people every day dedicated to guarding Trump Tower. Not sure I believe those numbers but if accurate, we definitely need to go find out what's driving the cost and fix it. Typical bloated government.
    Nothing typical about those figures if they end up being accurate. Judicial watch estimated Obama's 8 years to cost a bit over a hundred million in terms of security costs for his trips.

    Trump might blow past that in 6 months.

  11. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    45,601
    Rep Power
    26
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    nothing about this administration and the money spent is gonna make sense.

  12. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,070
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    24
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by konssurvative1 View Post
    Yes...i think funding of the arts should be left to those who want to find it. Not the federal government. An endowment is a gift, grant, a commission. Not a line item in a federal government. The government should not be in the business of funding the arts. A large amount of which goes to the corporation for public broadcasting. Run a ****ing commercial like all the other networks!
    Back in the day PBS ran more classic BBC comedy and scifi to pay their bills by attracting support. Some comedy survives and Dr Who has occasional runs, but it's been years since Blake's 7, the Avengers, The Prisoner and others have been seen.
    Standup Philosopher

    Some people's mid-life crisis last their whole lives.


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,070
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    24
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by texashusker34 View Post
    Oh, and as far as the NEA, kill it. If you want art, fund it yourself. That's not a Federal government responsibility. Same goes for PBS and NPR.
    Yeppers. Same goes with a lot of other things.
    Standup Philosopher

    Some people's mid-life crisis last their whole lives.


  14. Likes texashusker34 liked this post
  15. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Arrakis
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Ideology
    Independent
    Posts
    13,194
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    13
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    NEA funding amounts to .012% of federal discretionary spending. Makes for a fun political football to kick around but we've got bigger fish to fry.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men. - Willy Wonka

  16. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    43,002
    Rep Power
    23
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    The arts is one real reason america is so great.

    Why wouldn't we want to fund them?

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,070
    Blog Entries
    13
    Rep Power
    24
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tnt View Post
    The arts is one real reason america is so great.

    Why wouldn't we want to fund them?
    10th Amendment?
    Standup Philosopher

    Some people's mid-life crisis last their whole lives.


  18. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    44,800
    Rep Power
    25
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    NEA funding amounts to .012% of federal discretionary spending. Makes for a fun political football to kick around but we've got bigger fish to fry.
    A bunch of little fish make a whole can of sardines. And big fish get caught in the same sardine net.

    It's not an either/or exercise (or should not be.) Cut what needs to be cut, whether large or small.
    ... deliver us from evil.

  19. Likes markdido, gimpmaker, pennysworth, RTchoke liked this post
  20. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,169
    Rep Power
    6
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWolf View Post
    NEA funding amounts to .012% of federal discretionary spending. Makes for a fun political football to kick around but we've got bigger fish to fry.
    Yup. I haven't take the GOP seriously for a long long time about fiscal conservativism. They scream about how he boat is taking on water, then ignore the giant buckets and grab a spoon.

  21. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,169
    Rep Power
    6
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tnt View Post
    The arts is one real reason america is so great.

    Why wouldn't we want to fund them?
    Because it's not guns and blowing things up.

  22. #15
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Arrakis
    Gender
    Male
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Ideology
    Independent
    Posts
    13,194
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    13
    Post Like Stats

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guvnah View Post
    A bunch of little fish make a whole can of sardines. And big fish get caught in the same sardine net.

    It's not an either/or exercise (or should not be.) Cut what needs to be cut, whether large or small.
    Then by all means, let's start with Donald footing the security bill for one 10 year-old boy to continue to go to an elite school in NYC. Talk about a gesture that would really underscore his commitment to eliminating government waste! And a hell of a lot more persuasive than Donald kinda sorta maybe not who knows giving up his six-figure Presidential salary at the end of the year.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men. - Willy Wonka

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •